Main Menu

Rebellion to publish Scream/Misty Halloween Special in 2017

Started by Professor Bear, 20 July, 2017, 12:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Muon

Quote from: Tjm86 on 27 July, 2017, 07:48:46 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 27 July, 2017, 04:41:40 PM

It's possible you're misremembering an advert for a different comic - scary beasties reading things over

Bolland's FP advertisement possibly?

Ah, I thought I might be misremembering the advert or even imagining it. Given the preponderance of similar images it's probably the former. I'm starting to think it might have been the TV ad that left such a big impression on me, but a YouTube search has revealed nothing.

That Beaver Book of Horror cover image is amazing! I used to read things like that and the Fontana Book of Horror and Armada Book of Ghost Stories, so it's possible the image came from something like that.

Thanks for paying attention to my blathering anyway. Really looking forward to this Scream/Misty special.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Professor Bear on 27 July, 2017, 11:13:11 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 27 July, 2017, 09:08:35 PM
bunged the Misty logo onto a one-off

It's a story about fairies, mythological creatures that have been associated with little girls since the fey depictions of the Victorian era, but have far darker origins in ancient folklore. If it wasn't originally intended as a Misty story, it flippin' well should have been.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Muon on 27 July, 2017, 11:31:44 PM
I'm starting to think it might have been the TV ad that left such a big impression on me, but a YouTube search has revealed nothing.

Nope, it's not on YouTube. I check for it every few months.

What I remember... young boy reading the first issue at night in a creepy old house near a window, cat in it somewhere to tie in with Terror of The Cats, possibly Dracula and prominent use of the phrase "Not For The Nervous!".

I think they had two slightly different adverts featuring the corresponding free gifts for the first two issues, (the Dracula fangs, and the rubber spider).

JamesC

I remember that Scream! TV ad but I didn't think it was a creepy old house but a contemporary house. Didn't Dracula creep up on the boy from behind the sofa?

M.I.K.

May have been a modern house. I mainly remember it being darkly lit and looking like a set. Not sure, but for something that was on a handful of times within a couple of weeks 33 years ago, it's a wonder we remember anything.

JamesC

I remember wanting the comic but could only get one a week and already had a standing order for Buster at the newsagents (or rather my nanny did). The ad certainly made an impression though.

The Toxic! cinema ad was similarly memorable.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I am really looking forward to a new edition of Scream (having read every word of old Scream), and I really don't care about a new issue of Misty (having never read a word of old Misty).

Clever marketing cleverness means that I will buy the Halloween special, as (hopefully) will people who feel exactly the opposite to the way I do. Well done, Rebellion Marketing Department!

JLC

I've picked up a few copies of Misty & even though I am not the target audience I'm enjoying it. Yes its a few decades old but refreshing to read things set in a very recognisable real world. One of the immediate differences is that for the most part Screams! protagonists were not in the same age bracket as the readers.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JLC on 29 July, 2017, 10:39:00 AM
I've picked up a few copies of Misty & even though I am not the target audience I'm enjoying it. Yes its a few decades old but refreshing to read things set in a very recognisable real world. One of the immediate differences is that for the most part Screams! protagonists were not in the same age bracket as the readers.

Since you may have missed it on the previous page, I'll ask you again: why wouldn't you accept Henry's explanation for the reduced logo size? And why did you put inverted commas around the word 'explanation'? What, exactly were you trying to imply?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JLC

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 July, 2017, 12:10:43 PM
Quote from: JLC on 29 July, 2017, 10:39:00 AM

Since you may have missed it on the previous page, I'll ask you again: why wouldn't you accept Henry's explanation for the reduced logo size? And why did you put inverted commas around the word 'explanation'? What, exactly were you trying to imply?
I didn't miss it. I don't agree with that explanation. I didn't feel the need to debate it further. You obviously do but I will not be doing so...sorry...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JLC on 29 July, 2017, 12:55:39 PM
I didn't miss it. I don't agree with that explanation. I didn't feel the need to debate it further. You obviously do but I will not be doing so...sorry...

To be clear, then: you think Henry was lying. On what basis?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Woolly

Should add my two pence worth in defense of Henry Flint here.
It wasnt him that decided on the logo sizes and placements, regardless of wether he left enough space in the image or not.

As i said before, i think the logo sizes and placement is a bit unfortunate, but the idea that this is a deliberate attempt to diminish the appeal of Misty and/or comics for girls in general is frankly ludicrous.

Link Prime

It's a typically gorgeous Flint cover, prominently featuring a charming depiction of Misty herself.

Also featuring a tombstone with the phrase "RIP Sanity" that you'd be forgiven for thinking was subsequently added.

sheridan

I liked the Misty collection I got for my birthday last year, and look forward to reading Volume Two, but unfortunately the logo isn't a patch on Scream!  It looks more like something that belongs on Beano, Dandy, Whizzer & Chips and the Ilk, rather than 2000AD, Eagle, Scream! or even Tiger.