Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: James Stacey on 17 January, 2017, 12:23:09 PM
There was a Charlton Heston block but not related. From the City of Dredd

Charlton Heston Block
A large, well-to-do cityblock. Infected by the Block Mania, Heston formed an alliance with Ricardo Montalban Block, but was wiped out by poison gas Heston helped manufacture which accidentally leaked from the Dixy Plasteen Complex. (Block Mania; City Block)
Matheson Peat led a Block Mania-crazed Citi-Def squad from the Charlton Heston Frontliners, attacking neighbouring Michael Moore Block and the East-Meg One invasion army. Other Frontliner volunteers included Marriot, Mattocks, Rawlinson and Topley. They investigated the ruins of the Rejin Estate, where Peat discovered the half-mad Erik Rejin, the only survivor of his family. (The Final Cut)
By 2123, Heston Block had been annexed within Apetown's borders. The ape uplift Travis Perkins was raised in Apartment 1175. (The Fierce and the Furious)

Ah-hah - so the apes got Charlton Heston in the end!

Smith

Meat Patrol from Meg #224 has Tommy Vercetti Social Club,Rockstar North Boulevard. :)

Tombo

I was reading the Mega-Collection version of "Chasing Herod" last night and suddenly noticed that Lucy Melmoths' rather fetching zebra-print outfit had an actual tail attached, although it would appear to have been dropped by the time Pussyfoot 5 was published.

Frank

Quote from: Karl Urban on 22 January, 2017, 04:28:00 PM
Urban created a distinctive voice to make him seem tough: "In my research I came across a passage in one of the Dredd comics, saying Dredd's voice sounded like a saw cutting through bone. So for me that was kind of the starting point"  The Huffington Post, 03/09/2012

The Tenth Planet, Megazine 2.58 (July 1994), by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra.

Echidna

Just occurred to me - Tale of the Dead Man might be a play on "dead men tell no tales"

JayzusB.Christ

I seem to be the only reader whose head this didn't go over.  Just been catching up with January's progs and immediately recognised very thinly disguised versions of our erstwhile boarder (and my friend and former neighbour) Johnny Stress with his twin brother Danny.  Johnny has the rockabilly 'do while Danny has the mutton chops.  Unconvinced?  One of the real brothers has, or had, a pet spaniel.  Still unconvinced?  Mike Carroll didn't even bother to change their surname! 

PS I told Johnny today; he read through his latest progs and was suitably chuffed.

PPS I know you're still lurking here, McMonagle - hope you don't mind me posting this ;)

PPPS They're both way slimmer and handsomer than Tiernan Trevallion has them.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

John Burdis points out that the brothers' forenames - Fernando and Angelo - are not without significance. And of course, the story takes place on the Diana Rig(g).

Steamrunner

Just following up on the Charlton Heston block references above —  Charlton Heston was the first named block ("City Block 1", way back in prog 117). I'd forgotten it cropped up again...

Steve Green

A.Cow

Steve Green

JayzusB.Christ

It took me way too long to cop that Armoured Gideon sounded like Armageddon.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Quote from: Steve Green on 08 February, 2017, 06:10:30 PM
Brigand Doom
Not convinced by this one.

When I saw that cover pop up on Facebook it reminded me that I've always suspected Dave D'Antiquis was a play on words but I've never been able to work out what it might be.
We never really die.

Mike Carroll

Quote from: I, Cosh on 08 February, 2017, 09:47:03 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 08 February, 2017, 06:10:30 PM
Brigand Doom
Not convinced by this one.

When I saw that cover pop up on Facebook it reminded me that I've always suspected Dave D'Antiquis was a play on words but I've never been able to work out what it might be.

I always figured it was meant to sound like "Day of the Anti-Christ."

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]