Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Eye of the beholder and all that.  Female geeks have only had tv's Supergirl as their aspirational superhero figure until now - that's how desperate they are for a superhero of their own after a decade of the genre's cultural prominence, so why not let them have this one?

Tjm86

Then again when you consider the current level of mediocrity in cinema it's not completely surprising.  I'm struggling to remember a film that really made me want to go rushing out to the cinema to see it.  When the bar is as low as it is at the moment it doesn't take much to get people raving.

dweezil2

Quote from: Tjm86 on 10 September, 2017, 12:44:28 PM
Then again when you consider the current level of mediocrity in cinema it's not completely surprising.  I'm struggling to remember a film that really made me want to go rushing out to the cinema to see it.  When the bar is as low as it is at the moment it doesn't take much to get people raving.

Tired old tropes and formulas are arguably more prevalent than ever in mainstream "blockbuster" movies.

Still, there's good stuff out there if you hunt for it.

It Comes At Night, Get Out and Hell Or High Water are examples of recent films that prove there are filmakers still willing to take risks and deliver quality cinema.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Theblazeuk

Watched Wonder Woman myself last night - pretty average, but not actively bad. So a big step up on the last two Superman movies.

JOE SOAP

For something to resonate with an audience does not mean it's either brilliant or bad, nor does it always matter what anyone thinks for it to make money. The critic consensus has rated Wonder Woman around a 7-7.5 which I think is about right for an average film that hasn't totally shit-the-bed, so I don't think it's overhyped in terms of reviews.

dweezil2

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 September, 2017, 02:44:42 PM
For something to resonate with an audience does not mean it's either brilliant or bad, nor does it always matter what anyone thinks for it to make money. The critic consensus has rated Wonder Woman around a 7-7.5 which I think is about right for an average film that hasn't totally shit-the-bed, so I don't think it's overhyped in terms of reviews.

I don't know, I've read critics that claims the film's a watershed and borderline epoch defining, which it clearly isn't.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

Quote from: dweezil2 on 10 September, 2017, 02:57:04 PM
I don't know, I've read critics that claims the film's a watershed and borderline epoch defining, which it clearly isn't.

That's not the general consensus, though. Few are indicating WW is a modern masterpiece.

Smith

The Hero,basically Sam Elliott plays himself.Maybe a bit slow,but its an interesting film.

Keef Monkey

It. Overall really enjoyed it and it creeped me out a fair bit. I vaguely remember the TV version, but I vividly remember reading the book as a kid (I probably shouldn't have, but being the same age as the characters really stuck a chord at the time) and this felt like a good adaptation of that.

I do get the jump scare criticism though, it's something that's doing my head in with horror these days. I wish more directors had the guts to just put the scary thing on screen and let you be scared of it without jolting you with a loud noise and a jump cut. In those cases it's the sound and the cut that scares you before you even know what you're looking at. Way more effective for me is what I've always thought of as the 'quiet jump scare', where something might appear in frame or in the periphery and, without any smashy nonsense, your eye takes a moment to pick it out, them your brain takes a moment to process what you're looking at, and it's that brief moment where you feel the realization creeping up on you that is scarier than any traditional jump scare. 

Can't actually think of a good example to illustrate it off the top of my head but hopefully that makes sense and it's not just me!

Overall though yeah, good job.

Professor Bear

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 September, 2017, 03:10:04 PM

That's not the general consensus, though. Few are indicating WW is a modern masterpiece.

It's unquestionably the greatest female superhero film of the last few years.

Smith

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 September, 2017, 03:58:30 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 September, 2017, 03:10:04 PM

It's unquestionably the greatest female superhero film of the last few years.
Probably because its the only female superhero movie in the last few years.

Frank

Quote from: Smith on 10 September, 2017, 04:01:38 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 September, 2017, 03:58:30 PM
Female geeks have only had tv's Supergirl as their aspirational superhero figure until now ... It's unquestionably the greatest female superhero film of the last few years.

Probably because its the only female superhero movie in the last few years.

Bet Pro Bear wishes he'd said that.

It seems unreasonable to expect it to be a great movie when most superhero movies are The Amazing Spiderman 2.

Reminds me of Chris Rock's observations on his neighbourhood:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kxp9CEJeAg

Frank

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 10 September, 2017, 03:48:00 PM
... something might appear in frame or in the periphery and, without any smashy nonsense, your eye takes a moment to pick it out, them your brain takes a moment to process what you're looking at, and it's that brief moment where you feel the realization creeping up on you that is scarier than any traditional jump scare. 

Can't actually think of a good example to illustrate it off the top of my head

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp0OWdkt2LA

Smith

Legend of Tarzan.Its a good movie.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 10 September, 2017, 03:48:00 PM
Way more effective for me is what I've always thought of as the 'quiet jump scare', where something might appear in frame or in the periphery and, without any smashy nonsense, your eye takes a moment to pick it out, them your brain takes a moment to process what you're looking at, and it's that brief moment where you feel the realization creeping up on you that is scarier than any traditional jump scare. 

Can't actually think of a good example to illustrate it off the top of my head but hopefully that makes sense and it's not just me!

Some of the stuff in BONE TOMAHAWK? And there's a great bit in THE DESCENT where you see one of the troglodytes in the background of a shot... not entirely sure what you've seen but it scares the bejeezus out of you. (Well, me, anyway).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!