Main Menu

Prog 2166 - Active Shooters!

Started by NapalmKev, 25 January, 2020, 11:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 29 January, 2020, 03:22:02 PM
...and that's it, I've just caved and ordered books 01 - 03 from the webshop along with the new Kingdom trade. Great use of the discount voucher!

Looking forward to reading these in a single volume.

oh great idea! :P :thumbsup: :sick: that's envy
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

I have read the whole Brink before Hate Box started well worth the time spend.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Cover works really well in the flesh, a bloody Low Theta iris with Kurtis as the pupil. Zarjaz!

Dredd is a solid end to a fun story, although I think 3 parts might have been tighter - even the tireless Cornwell droid looked like he was running out of steam by the end.

Brink is why my pace quickened as I approached the newsagents this afternoon , and why I nearly caroomed off the hull of the very tall Croatian security guard as I left, nose buried in my prog. So. Good.

Zaucer. Still entirely pleasant to gaze upon, but somehow lacking even the very gentle bite of the first one.

Feral & Foe. Seems a bit early for this kind of recap episode, but very much holding my attention.  Unlike...

Proteus Rex. I'm afraid I'm slipping right off this one. I'll keep trying because I know these gents can spin a tale, but so far I can't maintain a grip.

TordelBack

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

73north

Read the Comic on Monday ( when it arived ) and it was Bliss , sheer bliss
can say that the Prog has already hit new heights this month -
all the stories were marvellous , as stated - BRINK is just sublime
PROTEUS VEX is really hitting the spot , and ZAUCER OF ZILK is just mad-cap fun
I also greatly enjoyed JUDGE DREDD - with the art from Dan Cornwell which is a stand-out
( Rok of Reds was first occasion I spotted him in 2016 )

finally FERAL AND FOE - this is a very detailed and heartfelt story about being on the losing side
and paying for the consequences 
( all we need is the return of Jaegir , Kingmaker and ABC Warriors to cement the year )

Can I just add one dissent -
where the XXXX ( ONE CREDIT FINE ) is BRASS SUN ?

its been ages since it appeared in the Prog ( ie 2017–2018 )

also  when is "Helium" coming back in 2000AD  which was last shown in 2015 -
where is this ? - its is now 5 years ago and no word since //

broodblik

Quote from: 73north on 30 January, 2020, 08:54:16 PM

There is a rumor floating around that it will return but art by Tiernen Trevallion. Hopefully rumor can transform into fact

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 31 January, 2020, 02:59:57 AM
Quote from: 73north on 30 January, 2020, 08:54:16 PM

There is a rumor floating around that it will return but art by Tiernen Trevallion. Hopefully rumor can transform into fact

It been a while since that was said though, so I wonder if something happened there? Mind might have been waiting to finish Absolam before moving onto it? Who knows, do hope it'd come back.

norton canes

Great cover, I hadn't clocked the eyeball thing. For the majority of Hate Box I was a bit disappointed that the 'supernatural' elements of the strip had been sidelined, but now I can see they were bubbling under all along...

Kill Bloopy closes in style with a lovely understated key frame: [spoiler]"Bang."[/spoiler] I think Dan Cornwell has given us more Judge variant outfits in four weeks than we've seen over the last ten years or so. Feral & Foe is also superb, a trademark Abnett one-shot that gives us abundant insight into the minds and motivations of the protagonists. Zaucer Of Zilk continues to be a bit off my wavelength but glad to see others enjoying it.

Leaving us with P. Vex, which really picks up this week. People have said it needs character development but who would have thought the development would come from his little Matroska-faced cohort? Maybe the twist is that Midnight I.S. turns out to be the protagonist. Has a strip ever changed title halfway through?

Dolphins in exo-skeletons too, what's not to like.

TordelBack

Closest thing I can think of to a title change was the wonderful twist in the first run of Brink, where the title stayed the same but it's apparent meaning changed.

Not sure I can count The Vort, Dead Eyes or Malone.

TordelBack

"ITS". Madre Grod, but you would think autocorrect would leave that one alone.

Keef Monkey

I love Brink so much, it's so my cup of tea it's unreal and continues to be my favourite thing in any prog it appears in.

It's been a brilliant Dredd tale too which wrapped up in fine style, really enjoyed that story, and I'm very into Feral & Foe and hope it continues for a while.

The other strips have lost me a little - Zilk's brand of whimsy just doesn't seem to connect with me (but I appreciate others may love it and hey, that's what anthologies are for!) and I'll admit I just haven't done a great job of getting my bearings and following what's going on in Proteus Vex. Saying that, they're both still great to look at and seems like it Vex in particular may be about to get more interesting.