Main Menu

Prog 2162 : The gift of Thrill Power!

Started by Darren Stephens, 14 December, 2019, 06:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Belated thoughts on the Christmas cornucopia...

A serviceable, knockabout Dredd - not sure a succession of over-the-top deaths is really enough to hang a story on though. A lovely Absalom epilogue leading to a bombshell preview page - surprised the return of (what's left of) Caballistics Inc. hasn't been discussed more! Probably on a thread I've managed to miss. In Zaucer Of Zilk and Proteus Vex, impressive starts to two new strips which I hope will be built on scripts as wonderful and imaginative as their artwork. Feral And Foe is as slick and humorous as one would expect from the Abnett Droid- just not sure how it's going to rub shoulders with Kingmaker, should they ever end up in the same prog. Deadworld delivers another stunner; and the Durham Red story was pretty decent, but she'll have to start doing other things than just losing her temper and biting people...

Jacqusie

Quote from: norton canes on 02 January, 2020, 12:11:42 PM
A lovely Absalom epilogue leading to a bombshell preview page - surprised the return of (what's left of) Caballistics Inc. hasn't been discussed more!

The Harry epilogue is also hopefully a prologue as it stitched together the end of the series with the new bloods maybe going forward. I agree about Caballistcs Inc, I thought it would have created some fervour on here, it's not been that long since it had it's own (well overdue) epilogue with the hospital scene, so looking foward to what's to come for, fngers crossed, both series.

Magnetica

Very late to the party here, but overall I thought it was great.

The stories that were new / will continue next week were the best for me.

Feral and Foe was the stand out - when I read the blurb in the Nerve Centre I thought it wasn't going to be great, but I was hooked from the 2nd panel. What a great opening episode that was. It really introduced us to the world and the characters and it was pretty funny too. Really looking forward to more. Have to say though the lead chap looks a bit like Gene The Hackman to me.

I was surprised by the Zaucer of Zilk. I was gearing up to hate it but it was actually really good. I just hope it doesn't get too weird in the weeks to come.

Proteus Vex  had a strong concept at the heart of it and the story moved along nicely. Now I'm going to say something I didn't think posssible, but I didn't really like Henry Flint's art on it. It was too cartoony for my liking, which I think was largely down to the colour palette. Sorry I know that probably as close to heresy as you can get here.

Brink was just awesome. This really is as good a strip as 2000AD has run, classic Nemesis, Slaine, ABC Warrriors, Strontium Dog, Dredd included....

The Adventurer

Finally caught up with all my 2019 2000 AD reading (I was 2 months behind, whoops). I'll be completly honestly, 2019 wasn't my favorite year for 2000 AD, it had some good stuff. But a lot of felt... overly familiar and the stuff that excited me was kinda spread out throughout the year.

But Prog 2062 has recharged me quite a bit. Feral and Foe and Proteus Vex are the real stand out winners for me, in a way they both complement each other. Zaucer of Zilk is a welcome return, if not my favorite (has it really been 8 years since the first one?!) Brink continuing is always welcome. Graduation Day + the ad for more Caballistics Inc. universe stuff (with Reardon! Woo!) was a wonderful surprise (feel sorry for those trade buyers though). Deadworld was excellent as always, though I enjoy the strip immensely I feel its starting to drag itself out (which might be a problem for a series with an inevitable conclusion). Dredd and Durham were decent but uninspiring though. But if a big 100 pager only has two stripes I consider dogs, that's still pretty good.

The new year line-up of Judge Dredd/Proteus Vex/Zaucer of Zilk/Feral and Foe/Brink is really as solid as it gets for current 2000 AD. Like I said, excited for the Prog again.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Robin Low

Getting a bit lazy in my old age, so I'm weeks late to this.

With the first series of Zaucer, I started reading, but kinda gave up through lack of interest. I decided I'd give this new series a go, and I thought this is actually much more readable and enjoyable than I remember.

I just assumed because of the art it was the same writer too, but I come to check out this thread and discover it's Peter Hogan! Fantastic! No wonder I like it, he's one of the best writers this comic has ever had. Very, very glad to see him back.

Regards,

Robin

73north

Too busy with work last few weeks to post anything here on the Forum
but I have to say Feral and Foe is very good - very impressed

I have to also say that I was happily surprised by the Zaucer of Zilk.
Good artwork and a nice change from the usual stories inside

Proteus Vex - this is a new story that I am enjoying immensely - as ever
I am impressed with the strong storyline - I also love Henry Flint's art on it.

Brink still is just wonderful T- a standout in the Prog alongside Jaegir for me
which i also hope comes back very soon .