Main Menu

Prog 2162 : The gift of Thrill Power!

Started by Darren Stephens, 14 December, 2019, 06:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Quotewhen he was writing some of the best stuff of that time

No he wasn't.

IndigoPrime

I dunno. His period in the Prog was mostly during the doldrums of the 800s and 900s. His work may not have been the best stuff in the Prog, but it was a long way from the worst. In 852, his fab Robo-Hunter (with Rian Hughes) was up alongside terrible Dredd tale Inferno, Alan McKenzie's awful Mean Arena, the ho-hum Demon Killer Sláine, and the divisive Tyranny Rex. In the late 800s, his Strontium Dogs was there with Steve White's noisy Rogue, Brigand Doom, an iffy Dredd, and the worst Armoured Gideon run.

Greg M.

Put Hogan in context, and he was pretty good. The comic had been dominated by the spiteful, brash, unpleasant (though technically adept) story-telling of Mark Millar et al – in Hogan, we had someone who could write with charm, whimsy and restraint; someone who a clear understanding of and respect for both continuity and character. For some, I expect that made him a bit boring, and I have sympathy with those who found his storytelling a bit protracted. But at the time, I was ready to proclaim him a new prog MVP – he really stood out.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Best end of year prog in years. Wonderful strips, nice design, and as usual serious heft for your greats.
Favourite strip was Brink (as usual) with Feral & Foe close behind. But everything was hovering around the "ridiculously zarjaz" mark.
Happy Earthlet here.

SBT

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 December, 2019, 01:04:14 PM
Also, it's good to know burned bridges can be repaired. I hope perhaps one day that might be the case with John Smith.

okay, I must have missed something here.  What happened?

broodblik

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 21 December, 2019, 04:27:24 PM
Best end of year prog in years. Wonderful strips, nice design, and as usual serious heft for your greats.

I must agree but I will go as far as to say that this is the best xmas prog ever. The new stories are great and can not wait for next to roll in
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

I hated Hogan's Strontium Dogs and Durham Red stories. To me they are an example of what was wrong with 2000AD in the 90s.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tjm86 on 21 December, 2019, 06:18:13 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 December, 2019, 01:04:14 PM
Also, it's good to know burned bridges can be repaired. I hope perhaps one day that might be the case with John Smith.

okay, I must have missed something here.  What happened?

Not entirely sure but he's a fairly regular Facebook poster.  I miss his 2000ad work; he's one of the best script droids we've had.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

A.Cow

Quote from: Richard on 22 December, 2019, 01:29:42 PM
I hated Hogan's Strontium Dogs and Durham Red stories. To me they are an example of what was wrong with 2000AD in the 90s.

And Timehouse too, which tried to be whimsical but failed with aplomb.

broodblik

A lot of the guys responsible for the state of 2000ad in the 90s left and created some wonderful later in their careers. Unfortunately 2000ad was used as a learning curve.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Leigh S

Hogan wasnt a perfect fit for 2000AD, but he was a lot better than much of what was around.  His Robo Hunters still have the sense of being "Alt" to the original, but have at least restored the charm and dare i say whimsy - a  bit too much whimsy, but better that than too much cruelty.

Stronts.... I remember being pleasd that someone was trying to put back the pieces of the stront universe to the point the Agency was up and running again - felt like it had momentum in the right direction, though it kind of got bogged down by trying (not unreasonably) to make something more of characters that perhaps didnt ahve that much more to give (no interest in the Firefall/FarFluff/FurFail malarkey)

Bolt-01

That has 'always' been the way.

From Bolland & Moore, through to Spurrier & Ewing, Tharg has always helped train the talent.

It is one of the many joys of being a Squaxx - seeing those we have held dear spread their wings and fly. Of course it is also great when they drop back in.

IndigoPrime

Probably also worth noting that Hogan has a ton more experience now, and the Prog is a different animal anyway. And if you're not reading Resident Alien, you should be. Hopefully, Tharg will be able to convince Hogan to pen something similarly excellent for the Prog once he's done with Zaucer.

broodblik

Hogan's Resident Alien is excellent. Yes, I know Zaucer is so far only one episode but it has a great start

Tjm86

Quote from: Leigh S on 23 December, 2019, 02:03:50 PM
His Robo Hunters still have the sense of being "Alt" to the original, but have at least restored the charm and dare i say whimsy - a  bit too much whimsy, but better that than too much cruelty.

I think the bigger problem with Millar's Robo-Hunter was the excessively puerile aspect to it.  The violence was pointless and gratuitous without bringing anything to the party.  The subplot about marrying Cutie beggared belief and the challenge of giving a damn about the child trapped in a psychotic Alton Towers was too much.