Main Menu

2000 ADs Golden Years?

Started by PEO, 13 July, 2010, 08:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambrose

Prog 61 to 300 were my intro to 2000ad and began collecting it appox Aug 1980.I have 5 prog 178s.The 80s were great and my all time fav cover is Prog 173.At the moment my friend and I are boxing and bagging my collection from Prog one to now.Some days we just stop and get lost re-reading and chatting about all the stories for hours :lol:.My 8 year old son Jack loves it also.2000ad,its a way of life.
Ambrosia

Roger Godpleton

Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh

Up every evening 'bout half eight or nine
I give my complete attention
to a very good friend of mine
He's quadraphonic, he's a,
he's got more channels
So hologramic,
oh my T V C one five
I brought my baby home, she
She sat around forlorn
She saw my T V C one five, baby's gone, she
She crawled right in, oh my
She crawled right in my
So hologramic,
oh my T V C one five
Oh, so demonic,
oh my T V C one five

Maybe if I pray every, each night I sit there pleading
"Send back my dream test baby,
She's my main feature"
My T V C one five, he, he just
Stares back unblinking
So hologramic,
oh my T V C one five
One of these nights I may just
Jump down that rainbow way, be with my baby, then
We'll spend some time together
So hologramic, oh my T V C one five
My baby's in there someplace
Love's rating in the sky
So hologramic,
oh my T V C one five

[CHORUS]
Transition
Transmission
Transition
Transmission

Oh my T V C one five, oh oh, T V C one five

Maybe if I pray every, each night I sit there pleading
"Send back my dream test baby,
She's my main feature"
My T V C one five, he, he just
Stares back unblinking
So hologramic,
oh my T V C one five
One of these nights I may just
Jump down that rainbow way, be with my baby, then
We'll spend some time together
So hologramic, oh my T V C one five
My baby's in there someplace
Love's rating in the sky
So hologramic,
oh my T V C one five

Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh

[CHORUS]
Transition
Transmission
Transition
Transmission

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard.

I defo agree for the last couple of years its been an absolute Golden Age for 2000ad. Before that I have very fond memories of the ther start of the second wave of creators say 500 - 700 (give or take). Some of the best thrills were before that but there was a lot of nonsense too.

Have to say I'm reading Progs from 2005 at the moment and that's a bit of a vintage year for Thrill Power.

Have fun.

klute

QuoteFor me, the mid to late eighties were and still are the greatest days in the history of the galaxys greatest comic. Anyone agree?

I agree and at a push would suggest the early to mid 90's aswell

loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Aaron A Aardvark on 13 July, 2010, 11:26:17 PM
We're in the Golden Age now.

No, I'm serious.

Yup, I think you're dead right.

I honestly cannot take a British comic fan seriously when they tell me they don't read 2000AD. It is simply the best comic in, well, the galaxy.

W. R. Logan

These are the examples Id say show that 2000 was on the way down and itd be a while before it crawled its way out of its own arse.

QuoteZenith Phase 1, Progs 537-550.

Never saw the attraction and I have no problem if it stays in limbo forever. Nice art but thats a bout it.

QuoteABC Warriors, The Black Hole, Progs 555-581.

This is probably where the ABC Warriors jumped the shark, some god awful art, that people will tell you is some of the best to appear in the Prog because its Bisley and big Musclebound robots, well robots should look like robots and not muscle men and the writing is just terrible.

QuoteBad Company, The Krool Heart, Progs 576-585

They really should have left this alone.

QuoteZenith Phase 2, Progs 589-606

Yawn

QuoteZenith Phase 3, Progs 626-634, 650-670.

Wake me up when its over.

QuoteSlaine, The Horned God, 626-635.

Muddy artwork and although not a bad story set up what we have had to endure for years with Slaine just going on and on. Rule for 7 years, kill him, move on.

TordelBack

For me the Golden Age  a very long run of almost 10 years, from mid-1981 to late-1990.  

It has to start at  Prog 222 (start of Nemesis Book 1, then in quick succession Judge Death Lives and Rogue Trooper, Hotdog Run and on into Block Mania etc...), surging on an unbroken wave through to the 400's, with a bit of a slump about the 10th anniversary reversed by Zenith in the 530s.

From then it's plain sailing with climactic storylines and nice innovations carrying us right up to 700 when everything goes a bit pear shaped:  Necropolis is over; Wagner is in short supply; Fleisher and Millar are everywhere; Ennis and McKenzie are uneven; Alpha is dead; Slaine should be dead; Rogue is unrecognisable; Mills is wittering on about Khaos....  

There are big bright spots in the early '90's, mainly courtesy of Milligan, Morrison  and J. Smith, and there's great new stuff like Button Man, but as of  Prog 700 the Golden Age is over.  

Happily things were back on course by Prog 1141, and in 1999 our current Platinum Age began!

House of Usher

Quote from: Stewart Perkins on 14 July, 2010, 11:17:48 AM
These are the examples Id say show that 2000 was on the way down and itd be a while before it crawled its way out of its own arse.

Zenith, ABC Warriors, Bad Company, Slaine...

Well, I was fishing about either side of Prog 600 in quite a desperate way looking for highlights! Those were just bits I and quite a lot of other people happened to like.
:D

After reading Thrill Power Overload for a good three hours after going to bed last night, I came to the conclusion that the years that weren't golden for 2000ad can pretty much be summed up as 'the nineties.' Not everything in the Prog between 2000 and 2004 was brilliant, but it was getting better and better all the time as the third millennium wore on and it emerged into its second Golden Age. I do think it's only had two.
STRIKE !!!

eggonlegs

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 14 July, 2010, 10:05:19 AM
Quote from: Aaron A Aardvark on 13 July, 2010, 11:26:17 PM
We're in the Golden Age now.

No, I'm serious.

Yup, I think you're dead right.

I honestly cannot take a British comic fan seriously when they tell me they don't read 2000AD. It is simply the best comic in, well, the galaxy.
s'right

Van Dom

Golden Age was around the 200s-300s for me but as others above me have said, its been consistenly brilliant since 2006 now and I reckon there is indeed a second Golden Age running.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

PEO

I have an apology to make as i shouldnt have opened this can of worms without first introducing myself and saying hi, this being my first post and explaining i am a 38year old bloke who lived for 2000ad as a kid(late seventies onwards) but fell out of love with it in the early nineties (the prog in which johnny alpha died was a sad day and the death nail for my comic collecting days). Since then ive been an `occasional' reader whos never been able to rekindle the fire, if you know what i mean, its probably more to do with my age than it is the quality of the subject in question. Thanks for the replies and making me feel welcome.

Leigh S

Cool  - you do know that we are currently seeing Wagner revisiting the events of "The Final solution", potentially with an eye to overturning certain events?

HOO-HAA

I gotta agree with the 80s - solely because that's when I was old enough to digest what I was reading :) I still read back my old 2000AD annuals and enjoy the hell out of them.

Oh, and welcome to the best boards in the galaxy!

M.I.K.

Quote from: House of Usher on 13 July, 2010, 11:36:32 PM
on reflection, I agree that Prog 671 really did mark the end of the (first) Golden Age. Rogue Trooper, War Machine, Part 2, Armoured Gideon and Harlem Heroes.

I really liked Armoured Gideon. A giant robot exorcist from another dimension who talks like a dalek and chases after characters from old 2000ad stories? How could anyone possibly not like that?