Main Menu

Wanted:Classic Dan Dare

Started by Jade Falcon, 30 March, 2016, 11:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Preferably the Titan Print.  I'm wary of the Hawk books as I had a Hawk book of the Trigan Empire one time and the story was drastically cut, so I'm wary of the Dan Dare ones.

I'm not interested in the Garth Ennis one as I've managed to source it from someone, and I also have the Red Moon Mystery.

Also, any of the Spaceship Away issues would be nice as I've heard they're original stories but the old style.

Thanks.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

maryanddavid

The Hawk Books are the best IMO, and the Dragons Dreams versions are good too, but suffer from poor binding.

Tjm86

The Hawk books keep closer to the original aspect ratio than the Titan books IIRC.  The series skipped over some of the later stories but pretty faithfully reprinted the earlier and probably more popular stuff.  The Bellamy / Watson run of the last few years is the part that they did not print in it's entirety.  Titan is still working through the Hampson years.  Whether they will be more complete on the final years remains to be seen.

There has been discussion on this board previously about the pros and cons of each.  I toyed briefly with trying for the Titan over the Hawk editions to complete the series as some of the later ones can be harder to find and so more expensive but this does seem to be cyclical at times.  The Terra Nova trilogy has always, and curiously, been hard to find.  On the other hand The Man From Nowhere and Reign of the Robots appears quite frequently. 

Personally I'm glad I stuck with the Hawk books, having had a gander at the Titan editions.  I know TroutMark books in Cardiff still has a selection in stock.

matty_ae

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Tjm86 on 31 March, 2016, 08:11:03 AMThe series skipped over some of the later stories but pretty faithfully reprinted the earlier and probably more popular stuff.  The Bellamy / Watson run of the last few years is the part that they did not print in it's entirety.

The Keith Watson run went through a phase in which each episodes' second page was printed on the inside front cover. It therefore appeared (and was thus painted, I presume) in black and white with grey wash. IIRC, Hawk decided the contrast of alternating between these pages and the full-colour covers would have been jarring so they weren't reprinted.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

maryanddavid

Have Titan actually reprinted any of the material that Hawke missed? Its a while since Titan released a volume too I think.

Colin YNWA

I've actually got a number of the Hawk books (volumes 1, 4 and 5 I think) I need to sell. They were given to me, but I had a feelign they might be valuable so did a bit of research and fond volume 4 (again I think) is pretty valuable and so said i couldn't except them BUT would read them and then sell them and pass on the 'winnings'.

Need therefore to get to reading them!

maryanddavid

I am a big fan from way back of these Colin, Volume 5 is one of my favourite comics, along with its follow up Rouge Planet and Reign of the Robots.
Probably not worth as much as they were a few years back, the Titan editions have taken a little bit of heat out of the market.

Jade Falcon

I had just been wary of Hawk after being burned by the Trigan Empire book they did.  Albeit the first Hamlyn book I had got many years before wasn't perfect either but had far more in it.  I would be more liable to go for Hawk now, preferably hardback of course.

What is the Dossier?  The only Dare books I have at present are the Titan Red Moon Mystery which I picked up in a charity shop for £1.85 and the Hayne ISF manual which I'm enjoying.

I do remember enjoying elements of the relaunched Eagles Dan Dare, IIRC, that was largely done by one of the ex Trigan Empire artists.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

matty_ae

DD Dossier:
Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future

A collectors guide, featuring full episode listings and summaries, some strips from the Annuals, a history af the strip and its artists, especially Frank Hampson, and mechandising.

So it's a nice piece but not essential.
I think the artists who bridges Trigan & new DD is Oli Frey.

Jade Falcon

Oli Frey? I've got one of his art books, he was also known for doing the covers of Crash, Zzap 64 and Amtix magazines back in the day, as well as the Terminal Man strip which run in those computer mags.  A pretty nice style.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 31 March, 2016, 09:00:25 PM
I've actually got a number of the Hawk books (volumes 1, 4 and 5 I think) I need to sell. They were given to me, but I had a feelign they might be valuable so did a bit of research and fond volume 4 (again I think) is pretty valuable and so said i couldn't except them BUT would read them and then sell them and pass on the 'winnings'.

Need therefore to get to reading them!

Colin, if you ever think in selling then, let me know what you would like for them?

Colin YNWA

I really must get around to it so hopefully I'll be in touch soon.

Jade Falcon

Read the Garth Ennis one that I had managed to get, and it's....different, but still enjoyable.  I'm surprised no one ever reprinted at least some of the early Dan Dare from the 80's Eagle.

Colin YNWA