Main Menu

Prog 2104 - The Watchers in the Walls!

Started by McNulty, 20 October, 2018, 01:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 23 October, 2018, 12:55:56 PM
I think the dark foreboding reflects our times perfectly ...

The nights are fair drawing in. Pity Abnett couldn't have worked in a line of dialogue about the clocks going back this Sunday.

The end of BST isn't the only shared story element between strips: two woodland confrontations where an offer is made to an implacable enemy, two hidden rooms that don't appear on any map. Although Bridge and Gita's solution to their locked room mystery won't involve BIKE CANNON TO MAXIMUM ELEVATION

Only Skip Tracer strives boldly for originality, continuing the refusal to trade in stock scenarios, characters and dialogue that's distinguished this thrill since its inception. The adventures of Kenan & Kel* offer one of the true surviving greats of 2000ad a chance to draw characters' elbows and knees, for a change. Treasure them while they're still here.

* Peaty must be kicking himself he didn't call Nolan Damon or Marlon, instead.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Since prog 2100, I've been a very happy bunny and Tharg is truly spoiling us with the strippage contained. This week is no exception, with yet again there being nothing I can complain about. Well, except maybe the cover, which was a bit generic and murky.
If I had to choose a favourite story, again I'd go for Brink, with Fiends close behind. Dredd is really getting going, Kingdom is effortlessly entertaining and Skip Tracer is so improved I'm having difficulty seeing it as the same strip.

So there we go, a five for five prog in a run of five for fives. And yet I keep seeing people on Facebook bemoaning the prog not being a patch on "how it used to be". Do they even read it, I wonder?

SBT

Proudhuff

So that Baba Yaga has been eating away at me... reminding me of something, and I remembered!

Uncle Lubin!

I know, I know a lot similar, but the whole Heath Robinson/Rackham feel to her was driving me nuts!

All meant as praise btw!
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

doh! 'not a lot similar'  where's the amend button when you need it!    >:(
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 24 October, 2018, 03:33:56 PM
So there we go, a five for five prog in a run of five for fives. And yet I keep seeing people on Facebook bemoaning the prog not being a patch on "how it used to be". Do they even read it, I wonder?

SBT

So often this type of thing seems to be posted by folks who have Smugly proclaimed a few posts earlier or later how they aren't sucker enough to be getting it and stopped reader when things turned in 1990 or whenever.

While I love the fact that folks get and enjoy different things in the Prog if you aren't enjoying this run maybe Tharg's organ is never going to satisfy you.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 October, 2018, 04:57:13 PM

SBT

So often this type of thing seems to be posted by folks who have Smugly proclaimed a few posts earlier or later how they aren't sucker enough to be getting it and stopped reader when things turned in 1990 or whenever.

While I love the fact that folks get and enjoy different things in the Prog if you aren't enjoying this run maybe Tharg's organ is never going to satisfy you.

Sometimes you get people who will never will be satisfied. It is always easier to complain than to complement.

For me this year overall the weekly prog has been really good, this run is the highlight of year.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

I can't say I'm particularly enjoying this run, but Tharg's Mighty Organ has satisfied me greatly in the past. A fair bit into the past now, admittedly, so maybe I should accept that for me, the thrills have run dry. Nevertheless, I hang on, in the hope of the prog getting a few more writers whose work I can really get into.

Magnetica

SBT

Yes totally agree. I don't get how someone can say "the Prog's rubbish" and "I haven't read it in years".

For my money, the Prog is currently as good as it has ever been.

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 October, 2018, 03:42:54 PM
So that Baba Yaga has been eating away at me... reminding me of something, and I remembered! Uncle Lubin!

https://astrofella.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/7-the-aeronaut.jpg?w=537&h=658

I know, I know a lot similar, but the whole Heath Robinson/Rackham feel to her was driving me nuts! All meant as praise btw!

I thought Taylor hit a new gear this week. His art's obviously great anyway, but he seemed to respond to the weirdness of Baba Yaga and the absurdity of her mixing bowl air transport and weaponised finch.

Culbard's less attention-grabbing, but his art here is effortlessly fantastic. What really stands out is his use of colour. With deft linework refined to the minimum necessary to define character and convey action, it's the balance of colours in the limited palette that draws you into the story and establishes atmosphere.

Flint* proves how indispensable to the Dredd strip he is by making an accountant, a vagrant and an octogenarian riding Mezco toys into Lex Luthor's lair from Superman look credible, and he manages Ezquerra's trick of making huge action scenes crammed into a few small panels seem truly epic and exciting, too.

* Blythe's a great colourist, but when you look at Titan it's difficult not to wish Henry Flint could colour all his work. Selfish sod must prefer to be able to eat and turn the heating on in Winter.

Trout

This run of progs is fucking superb. This week, Brink was my favourite but I enjoyed every strip.

Frank

Dredd: Plot twist - the Kazan clone was killed by [spoiler]the cat[/spoiler].

CalHab

SBT

This is exactly why I stopped participating in those forums (and listening to certain podcasts). These people have no opinion of any value.

norton canes

Another prog, and not only do we have the same high quality strips but we're five weeks into the stories now and therefore we're getting further absorbed into the plots and they're ramping up the stakes (literally, in FOTEF-ET), so the thrill levels are rising almost exponentially. Reading the prog right now is genuinely an exhilarating experience.

Highlights? Too numerous to mention all, but: the "Someone's on for it" panel in Dredd, the bird/stake transformation in FOETF-ET (as someone else has to call it, sooner or later), the climactic twist to Skip Tracer and... Dan Abnett's dialogue. Every word of it. In fact I am tempted to award Brink TOP THRILL this week simply because he's managed to smuggle in multiple uses of the word 'foof'.

norton canes