Main Menu

Prog 2104 - The Watchers in the Walls!

Started by McNulty, 20 October, 2018, 01:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McNulty

Judge Dredd: Once again Flint knocks it out the park with his great art and action in this episode. This story is continuing to build up into a very suspenseful story. Just when you think you are making progress to working out what is going to happen, THAT happens in the final panel...

Brink: Continues to underwhelm in both artstyle and plot. Definitely not for me, but I still accept it has it fans.

Fiends: There is just something about seeing a vampire ripping a wolf in half with his bare hands that makes you know your reading a quality story!

Skip Tracer: This got really weird, really quickly.

Kingdom: A lot of exposition in this episode. Still stellar artwork.

Colin YNWA

Well its not the perfect Prog... and I'll get to why in a sec... but damnit, damnit to hell and back this is so close. This line-up is so strong and to my amazement getting better and better each week.

Best Prog in this run to date. Dredd is superb, sharp, smart and adrenoline filled. Fiends well

Quote from: McNulty on 20 October, 2018, 01:24:01 PM
Fiends: There is just something about seeing a vampire ripping a wolf in half with his bare hands that makes you know your reading a quality story!

Well its this isn't it. Well that and the introduction of Baba Yaga, so often used in comics, never with the power and effect she is here, has turned this story quite brilliantly and the odds are stacked against Constanta. The three panels as the beast and ghouls circle our 'heros' just sublime. Then a sparrow is turned into a golden stake and we get that ending. Just perfection.

Skip Tracer. Man from a strip I couldn't give two hoots about first time out to this pulse pounding, mind melting blast. What a difference, what a strip it is now. Fantastic and again what an ending.

Kingdom... arh Kingdom you are the defination of what makes a superb 2000ad strip and you show that again. Finding fresh ways to entertain, chill and thrill. So good...

All of them brilliant and yet none of them Brink (or Blink come to that). As with the Meg so many very, VERY good stories and yet somehow, inexplicably one raises above them all. In the Meg we have Lawless, in the Prog we have another episodfe very differne to that, this is a character converstion driven piece. Seeming so still, calm and steady in comparison to others in the comic BUT it does everything so well. The banter is superb and sharp, the atmosphere so ripe and close, the commentry so on the nose but fresh and engaging. The tension is quietly there and then. BANG... well not bang really is it, but the tension has realisation and its so subtle, yet utterly chilling. How does this strip stand out amongst so much genius?

So why the hell isn't this the perfect Prog, strip by strip it feels like it should be. I think the only thing its lacking is the balance of diversity. All of these strip are brilliant but there is a dark forboding tone that runs through and gives a unity to everything. It lacks that astonishing balance in difference that the perfect Prog would have...

... mind if this isn't the perfect Prog I'm more than happy to 'settle' for it, it is simply brilliant and I'd defie anyone to show me a better comic out there right now and that includes the Meg!

Colin YNWA

Oh and in my gush of excitment I forgot to mention how superb that cover is. Lynch is rapodly becoming an absolute favourite.

Geoff

Mmnn I'm not a fan of that cover, I really don't like the way Lynch draws the Lawmaster...

The rest of the prog just powers on, all the stories and art are great. Loving the prog at the moment!

Frank

Quote from: Geoff on 20 October, 2018, 07:07:14 PM
Mmnn I'm not a fan of that cover, I really don't like the way Lynch draws the Lawmaster...

The actual cover looks great without forum-blurTM. I give everyone a break on the lawmaster; like the gun, only the late, great Carlos Ezquerra* could make that original design look really good.

Lynch is still finding his range with Dredd, MC1 and associated tech. I'd compare his current four-boxes concept for the bike to the brief period when Paul Marshall decided Dredd got his helmet from the same store as Battle Of The Planets. It's somewhere he has to pass through to get where he's going.

I agree Lynch isn't there yet, Geoff, but he gives good lawmaster when it counts.

* Or Mick McMahon doing Carlos Ezquerra. Everyone else is cheating angles, cropping shots, and blocking-in large areas of shadow like crazy. Real cheats, like Ben Willsher, change the whole thing and call it the MKII.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Frank on 20 October, 2018, 08:06:15 PM

The actual cover looks great without forum-blurTM.

An earlier version with different tag line, is that from the previews catalogue?

Frank

Geoff

Quote from: Frank on 20 October, 2018, 08:06:15 PM

The actual cover looks great without forum-blurTM. I give everyone a break on the lawmaster; like the gun, only the late, great Carlos Ezquerra* could make that original design look really good.

Oh yes, there's a lot about the Dredd strip that must make it difficult and time consuming to draw. The judges uniforms are very intricate, and then there's the bike/s and even the gun! Carlos made it look so easy...

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 October, 2018, 03:01:39 PM

So why the hell isn't this the perfect Prog, strip by strip it feels like it should be. I think the only thing its lacking is the balance of diversity. All of these strip are brilliant but there is a dark forboding tone that runs through and gives a unity to everything. It lacks that astonishing balance in difference that the perfect Prog would have...

Got to disagee, I think the dark foreboding reflects our times perfectly, top proggage again Thanks Mighty One!

I don't think that cover  Lawmaster is particularly impressive or intimidating, which is really the whole point.
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Am I reading the ending of Skip Tracer correctly? Did [spoiler]Nolan Blake just get barbecued? If so, it's odd no-one has commented on it.[/spoiler]

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 23 October, 2018, 10:22:02 PM
Am I reading the ending of Skip Tracer correctly? Did [spoiler]Nolan Blake just get barbecued? If so, it's odd no-one has commented on it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]No it was the tech guy standing next to his brother.[/spoiler]
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Again a repeat of last week : what a great prog.

The prog for me is almost near perfect. It might not be the best balanced stories but who cares if we have these great stories.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Pah! Tablet out of charge. Won't get to download it until tonight.

I post this just to let Tharg and his droids know that this run has me chomping at the bit to read my prog again. Well done!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!