Main Menu

Rok the God Kickstarter

Started by dancornwell, 13 August, 2019, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Bump for anyone still not decided - Rok has just around 25% funding so far but the drop off is happening so if you were wavering over picking this up - don't.

Go get it and make Rok a happy space man!

jabish

I concur. Get in there big time. I've pledged and while its slowing a bit there is still a good bit of time left! If you haven't read the first book the £40 pledge for both books is SO worth it. Just brilliant comics. If ya have read it and liked it then hop on the £20 pledge for book 2. Don't wait for it to come out cos it may not if you don't pledge.

There's a ways to go but outside of the people who have already backed there must be a thousand 2000ad fans that would go for either the one or two book pledge.

Am I completely mad in thinking that it would be generous of rebellion to give the guys an Ad in the prog free gratis? After all John Wagner has done quite a bit for them and comics in general over the years.

Get in the back of the net! Give em a pledge.

JB

IndigoPrime

Rebellion drawing attention to this would be a nice gesture. Hard to know how viable that would be within the 27 days left of the Kickstarter (what with magazine lead times). If not an ad, then something on the Input page, perhaps?

Steve Green

CalHab

IndigoPrime

Crowdfunders are odd. A lot of people now wait until the end. That said, a good rule of thumb is usually to get about a third or more funded on day one, expecting you'll get about the same in the last few days, and pick up the rest in the middle. Fingers crossed, though. I've backed, despite my general dislike of softcovers these days.

Trooper McFad

Done my duty.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Really liked the 1st volume Johns writing was excellent as ever and Dans art is superb.

Good luck to them with this.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

Wow the Kickstarter got a real boost as someone - or a company you'd assume - have popped for the top level reward and will be the sponsers of Radford Reds which had thrown the Kickstarter towards the half way mark. Would love to know who and hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

Trouble is this might mask a little the rapidly dwindling number of other backer at lower tiers. Its interesting over on another thread there's a link to a Kickstarter from Etherington Brothers and they have smashed it after 4 days and are at the £72,000+ mark after a similar time. The majority of the Etherington's is a load of £75 backers after two hardcovers. Now I have no idea how these things work and they are very different products - Etherington's is a how to write and draw comics package - but two Kickstarters from two sets of very talented comic folks and two very different outcomes to date. I wonder if there are differences in how the Etherington's go about marketing these things, or is it just that backers what something that feels special like a hardcover - though of course that changes the amount you need to raise...

Steve Green

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into the top tier thing.

Honestly, I don't know - if it was pure football or pure sci-fi, it might be an easier sell.

I don't know what sites have reported on it - I guess a facebook ad might get a bit more reach and doesn't cost *that* much.

It's been posted on few 2000 AD and facebook groups, but I imagine the bigger ones like what used to be the make a Dredd sequel page or the Judge Dredd group is mainly people who really aren't interested in anything not Dredd, and football especially.

I've put links to it on our fan film pages, links to it on the Minty and SD youtube video pages (and the videos themselves)

Will give it another push, but think it's a horse to water thing really.

Shame, if a small fraction of the people on either the 2000 AD fb page or the Sequel/MC-1 page gave a quid as a donation as a thanks to John and Alan in particular, it would hit it easily.

Bolt-01

I'd love it to have been Rebellion taking up the sponsorship tier.

Time will tell.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 06 October, 2019, 09:51:28 AM
I'd love it to have been Rebellion taking up the sponsorship tier.

Time will tell.

Must admit that was my first thought. As you say we'll see.

IndigoPrime

Didn't John say there was interest from Rebellion in the property at one point, but then they bought Roy of the Rovers? Or perhaps I'm misremembering. Anyway, water/bridge.

As for Kickstarters, a lot of it is about impression these days – how much something looks like it's going to succeed. I was tangentially involved in one recently that went right down to the wire. But because it didn't look like it would succeed, people were pulling back from putting down cash, even though you lose nothing if it doesn't meet the target. (This isn't an open Indiegogo!) In the end, it blazed past the finish line and beyond, although imp part because one backer put down a ton of cash.

So perhaps this injection is just what's needed. You'd hope a Kickstarter of this sort would be knocking around the 50% mark at this point, and it is. That it's only got 144 backers seems odd to me, but there you go, not least given that there's the option to get both books at the £40 tier.

broodblik

I see their is a digital option available as well. I just struggle to get behind the soccer theme (do not like the game at all)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

Quote from: broodblik on 06 October, 2019, 12:53:43 PM
I see their is a digital option available as well. I just struggle to get behind the soccer theme (do not like the game at all)

Yep. John Wagner doing a Kickstarter should be a no-brainer, but... football. Even mickey-take sci-fi football. (And yeah, I read the first issue of Rok - it was good, very Doomlord, in fact, so I'm not doubting the quality.)

broodblik

Quote from: Greg M. on 06 October, 2019, 01:07:17 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 06 October, 2019, 12:53:43 PM

Yep. John Wagner doing a Kickstarter should be a no-brainer, but... football. Even mickey-take sci-fi football. (And yeah, I read the first issue of Rok - it was good, very Doomlord, in fact, so I'm not doubting the quality.)

I am sure I will jump in and yes John Wagner should be a sold.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.