Main Menu

Prog 2113 - Community Spirit

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 January, 2019, 04:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 10 January, 2019, 11:25:02 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 January, 2019, 09:33:57 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 10 January, 2019, 01:54:50 PM
Interesting take on Skip Tracer is how Marshall's characterization looks different from MacNeils. I think one of the reasons why people do not like the main character is that he is always angry. Marshall draws him that he is angry, MacNeil did not (hence the reason that the previous installment was more excepted). Just my two cents.

You know what you might just have nailed it! MacNeil or the script he had enable us you smpathise with Nathan.

You might be able to sympathise with him, but it doesn't help with remembering his name. :lol:

Or spelling sympathise right! I despair of myself at times.

Magnetica

Quote from: Trout on 11 January, 2019, 02:24:59 AM
I think many of you were a little unkind to a perfectly solid January prog. Cheer up, chaps.

Yes I thought it was perfectly good, even the 3Thriller and Skip Tracer.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 January, 2019, 06:19:16 AM
Or spelling sympathise right! I despair of myself at times.

Yes I noticed that but didn't want to nail you for it, after all it is a tricky one; I had to Google it myself.

CalHab

3/5 for me. A solid, almost traditional, Dredd seems welcome after the high drama of The Small House. Fiends continues to be great fun. It hasn't reached the heights of the previous 1812 series, but there's still time. Brink keeps the tension ratcheted up, and is the highlight of the prog. The 3riller seems kind of pointless, unless there is some big change in the final part? Maybe I've just got zombie fatigue. Skip Tracer reminds me of some of the mid-90s progs. I've tried to give this a go, but its just not working for me. It feels like it's been assembled from a parts bin of sci-fi tropes and the lead lacks charisma or character to engage with.

Arkady

Skip Tracer: anyone else respond to the tri-boobied lady with the Arnie-sanctioned "Baby you make me wish I had three hands", only to piss themselves laughing that a four-armed man is referred to in the very next frame?

And then freak out at the horrible, angry, sticky, living vagina-pillow in the final frame?

Just me then.

norton canes

Ha. Maybe the horrible, angry, sticky, living vagina-pillow could become Skip's sidekick, like the Gronk?

Mardroid

I thought the Prog was fine. I liked the Dredd story. It's a while since we've had one with a bit of comedy and in the 'future tech stuff gone amok' vein.

Concerning Fiends, aside from Dredd, I'd say this is the stand-out strip for me at the moment. I wonder if Max's scheme will backfire though. [spoiler]His plan is based on the idea that vampires are distant relatives to himself, a mutation that occurred to a victim (possibly victims) of his bat-people ancestors.  So utilising his pseudo-science to vapourise vampires and blast the gaseous muck into humans he feels he can bring back his ancestral race, and apparently he has succeeded.

Just one problem: the previous story established that Constanta is a first generation vampire, who was turned via witch magic.  Therefore, neither he, or the vampires he sired (directly himself or those sired by those he sired, etc down the line) are not the mutations created by the bat-people. Now, I don't know for sure that Constanta's squad were all sired by him. It's possible that he recruited vampires from elsewhere, sired by others, but it seems likely.

I don't have an issue with bat entities still being successful as a result of Max's experiment witchified vampires as Constanza's vampires are very much in the Dracula mould, with a relationship with bats shape shifting into them on occasion, and likely controlling bats too (although I can't remember if that happened in the original Fiends... story. It's a while since I've read it). But I do wonder if Max's creations will end up under Constanza's control rather than his. [/spoiler]

Proudhuff

Quote from: norton canes on 13 January, 2019, 12:21:03 PM
Ha. Maybe the horrible, angry, sticky, living vagina-pillow could become Skip's sidekick, like the Gronk?

This should happen...make it so.
DDT did a job on me

titchard

I enjoyed this issue on the whole but I did think a lot of the similar points that the others did.

Regarding the holograms beating each other up - my thought process was that the holograms all run on the same computers so are "virtually" beating each other up with translated to the holograms doing things in the real world.  I cannot say I am a huge fan of the art though.

The scorched zone was interesting to start but starting to go a fair bit generic zombie by the end which I thought was a shame as I really liked the promise of the story in the first issue.

Skip Tracer did feel a bit generic.

Looking forward to where things go into with prog 2114!