Main Menu

Empire: Total War

Started by the shutdown man, 14 April, 2009, 01:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

Just picked this up over the weekend. It's a while since I played any of the Total War games, pretty much since Shogun and Medieval, so I wanted to give this a try. So far it's fantastic. Hugely addictive, and incredibly detailed. The naval battles are the big new thing and they're loads of fun; You can just set your ships to attack, or control them yourself, try and cripple the enemy ships and seize them, etc. There's plenty of freedom in what you can do.

The only thing is, it's a bit glitchy. It's a swine trying to get your men into formation on the battlefield, and if you give them an order to move, and there's a obstacle in their way, that can throw them off completely. And there are some minor sound issues. But hopefully this will be sorted later.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

ThryllSeekyr

Is this the one with the really detailed and exciting naval warfare?

the shutdown man

The very same. Set your sails to full, half or quarter mast, and broadside the bastards!

Broadsiding is incredibly satisfying when it works. Just sets off every cannon on one side of your ship at once, so it's great if you're piloting (I know that's not the right term for a boat....) a massive battleship with 30-something guns.

ThryllSeekyr

Quoteso it's great if you're piloting (I know that's not the right term for a boat....)

I think the term might captain or Admiral. Though I 'm not complelty sure myself. What term would a Pirate use for themselves.

They just call everybody "Matey".

//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral

QuoteBroadsiding is incredibly satisfying when it works

is possible to get your crew to thrwo ropes over and jump across, fighting the other crew memebrs on the deck like in most piaret battles. Perhaps even cutting the sails to ribbons with their cutlass's. You know how they jump down mast using their blades in the sail to slow their descent.

It's just something I would like to have seen down in a game such as this one.

Cactus

Quote from: "the shutdown man"The only thing is, it's a bit glitchy. It's a swine trying to get your men into formation on the battlefield, and if you give them an order to move, and there's a obstacle in their way, that can throw them off completely. And there are some minor sound issues. But hopefully this will be sorted later.
I'm not surprised, the Total War series have always been bug ridden on release. I'm glad to hear it's a good game though. I'm a big fan of Medieval II and might pick this up when the first patch is released.

What are the options like for playing different factions? All the blurb I've read so far makes it sound centred on the Americas. Are the European powers playable too? Is the whole globe available on the map, or is it just transatlantic?
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

the shutdown man

Quote from: "ThryllSeekyr"is possible to get your crew to thrwo ropes over and jump across, fighting the other crew memebrs on the deck like in most piaret battles. Perhaps even cutting the sails to ribbons with their cutlass's. You know how they jump down mast using their blades in the sail to slow their descent.

It's just something I would like to have seen down in a game such as this one.

You can board a ship once it's crippled. You can choose to use a particular kind of cannon shot, I forget the name but it's basically two cannon balls linked by a chain, which takes out the enemy masts. Once the masts are wrecked, you can pull up alongside the ship and order your crew to take it, and they'll sling ropes over and battle the crew hand to hand. It's great stuff.

Quote from: "Cactus"What are the options like for playing different factions? All the blurb I've read so far makes it sound centred on the Americas. Are the European powers playable too? Is the whole globe available on the map, or is it just transatlantic?

There are two different game options; One is the Road to Indepence, which is leading America from the time of John Smith to independence from Britain. You'll be given specific orders along the way, like forge alliances with specific native tribes and battle the French, etc. The other game option is a choice of different nations, like Britain, Russia, India, France etc. Each one has a different set of criteria for winning, depending on the length of the game you choose. So either way, you've got plenty of options.

Radbacker

this monster has been chewing all my time for the last month and i still haven't scratched the surface.  Road to Indipendance Campagn (the one with the US) is all right but its more of an extended tutorial to teach you the new aspects of the game (like sea trade routes etc).  Spent 30 hours this weekend trying to conquor the world as the United Provinces (well the short campagne anyway) lots of fun, not a big fan of the naval combat as it just gets too hectic when you have a full fleet your trying to control I find it easiest to set all the ships attacking and then take control of a second line ship (86 cannon!!!) personally and blast the shit out of anything that comes near.  The land stuff takes a bit to get used to if you've been playing Medieval 2 as its all guns and black powder so cavalry have a completely diferent task now (instead of being the tanks to crack lines head on you need to use them on the flanks hitting already engaged troopers or send them out to hunt artilery).

all up i can see myself spending a horrible amount of time on it and if i spend even half the time as i did on medieval 2 (over 200 hours) i'll get my moneys worth.  Its a fricken System hog though looks a bit poopy on my little old AlienWare Laptop but at least it plays.

Oh and the greatest gun ever invented was the Puckle Gun just awsome unleashing it on charging cavalry.

CU Radbacker

ThryllSeekyr

Ever since I watched the preveiw for this game. Something I had linked on a earlier thread.

I had imagined the Slaine Sky Chariots version might be possible.

the shutdown man

I haven't had as much time to play this over the last week or so, but it's getting to be a bollocks: I've taken Fort Niagara from the French, but as soon as I do that, next turn, they come back with another massive army. If I stay in the fort, the army just goes somewhere else in the map that I haven't guarded. Also, I didn't realise that I have constantly pay for my army's upkeep, so I'm quickly losing money every turn.

Still a great game, but it can make you tear your hair out. Maybe I'll leave America alone for a while, and try the Empire building campaign.

Cactus

Quote from: "the shutdown man"Also, I didn't realise that I have constantly pay for my army's upkeep, so I'm quickly losing money every turn.
You should be able to disband units, there's usually a button at the bottom of the unit details window. That should help you rationalise your army and stop the drain on your funds.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

the shutdown man

Yeah, I'll have to try that. But then I'll be outnumbered. French bastards...