Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

A lunch time stop at a San Sebastian burger bar. Nice bacon and fried egg combo with beer and no cutlery. I asked the waitress for 'French fries' only to be told 'We don't do fries'. I got the impression she was often asked and you wonder why they don't provide this standard accompaniment. Maybe they hate Scottish people. It was good but not great - needed some chips.

Charlie boy

What top is that, mate? (Please excuse my ignorance if I'm the only person on the forum who doesn't know why it has an extra P in steps...)
And you might have just had an arsey waitress. Her saying they don't do French Fries should have been followed by your asking if they did chips instead!

COMMANDO FORCES

Wear a dickie bow and get rid of the burger and you will be your avatar ;)

Buttonman

Stepps is the town outside of Glasgow where I (partially) grew up and my folks still live. There is a website where you can get shirts with puns of loads of Glasgow towns and suburbs such as 'Livin' La Vida Yoker' and 'Last train to Clarkston'.

Buttonman

You are probably all familiar with the idea of tapas - small portions of food that you hoover up, bar to bar. In the Basque country they have their own take on it 'pintxos'. This is much the same although it is arranged more in a buffet fashion meaning you can see and pick what you want rather than stumble by in school boy Spanish or trust a printed picture menu.

In San Sebastian the Pintxos bars are legion and the locals float around pecking away at the speciality dish of each bar. Being lazy and unwise in the way of such things we parked ourselves at the first place we came to and scoffed 13 of the things. Including 'bottomless' wine we paid about 30 Euro and were stuffed. The quality was uniformly great although somethings like the lamb kebab and deep fried fish in batter were more pleasing than others. Most of the food is served  cold although the man will nuke it for you if you wish - I had a great warm ham and cheese croquette.

Here's me with the initial sample :

and later on eyeing up the sausage wrapped in bacon.

Pete Wells

Quote from: Charlie boy on 06 October, 2012, 07:00:17 PM
What top is that, mate? (Please excuse my ignorance if I'm the only person on the forum who doesn't know why it has an extra P in steps...)

It's a well known fact that as well a top(!) food critic and model, Buttonman is a huge fan of novelty pop group Steps. I believe he bought that top after seeing them for the 39th time on their aptly named 'Tragedy' tour.

Quote from: Buttonman on 07 October, 2012, 04:45:21 PM
and later on eyeing up the sausage wrapped in bacon.

Hey, it's turning into Buttonman's sex travels...

Proudhuff

Quote from: Buttonman on 06 October, 2012, 07:28:08 PM
Stepps is the town outside of Glasgow where I (partially) grew up and my folks still live. There is a website where you can get shirts with puns of loads of Glasgow towns and suburbs such as 'Livin' La Vida Yoker' and 'Last train to Clarkston'.

DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Quote from: Pete Wells on 08 October, 2012, 07:09:17 AM
Hey, it's turning into Buttonman's sex travels...

All Buttonman's travels are sexy as are his stay at homes. Well as long as the broadband is operational at any rate.

Tom : If the banter gets any more mental there won't be a pun o me hangin the right way.

Here's a double breakfast and lunch offering in case you think I'm getting too much wear out of my Calvin & Hobbes t-shirt.

First up breakfast : This was in the hotel and a pleasing buffet arrangement that allowed me to gorge in my accustomed fashion. I normally start with a pile of detoxing fresh fruit like this with natural yogurt followed by toast and honey and then the fry up. It was a bit weird here though in San Sebastian - the bacon was half an inch thick and the sausages were either chorizo or frankfurters. Happily they also had muffins and that coffee George Clooney advertises.

After several moments of treking about we stopped for lunch, and of course beer, in this nice back street bar. They had a piles of pintxos on the bar and they looked great. On closer inspection however there were loads of tentacles and everything had a fishy flavour. I fed the remains to the wife and feasted on Haribo and cheese footballs instead - no photo available.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 October, 2012, 07:29:38 PM

Here's a double breakfast and lunch offering in case you think I'm getting too much wear out of my Calvin & Hobbes t-shirt.

I know we're meant to be concentrating on the food 'n' all but that t-shirt is FANTASTIC, how could you get too much wear out of it. Without wishing to side track this thread too much can I ask where you got it?

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 October, 2012, 07:20:33 AMWithout wishing to side track this thread too much can I ask where you got it?

Surely this is the one bit of merch the saintly Watterson would definitely approve of?  Inspired, and I too want one

Buttonman

Bah! Spaceman Spiff wins the day again! I got this tee from teefury.com but they only sell one design a day for one day only. I could make this popular offering a competition prize. I want a knock off tee-shirt in which to eat mydinner because...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Buttonman on 09 October, 2012, 08:52:51 AM
I want a knock off tee-shirt in which to eat my dinner because...

.. when I violently regurgitate my food, after a fit of over indulgence, all down my front I can feel like I'm doing my bit for creator rights.

Colin YNWA

And in more double post news its heartening to know that in this day and age nothing can stay unique for long.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/ribman/works/8378552-calvin-the-spiffy-spaceman?p=t-shirt

Proudhuff

Butt'man singlehandedly eating his way through the EU food mountain, singlehandedly drinking his way through the EU wine lake and singlehandedly under every table is Spain!
DDT did a job on me

paddykafka

For some reason this thread reminds me of a sketch from The Fast Show. I'm half expecting to see a vid of Buttonman standing outside a Spanish outhouse, as he tells us that: "This week, I 'ave mostly been eating Tapas."