Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

The best thing about trips to America is their customer srvice and keeness to please. Even in relatively cheap chains like Econolodge, Rodeway Inn and Quality Inn you still get cracking rooms of a good size, pools and breakfast thrown in.

The feast below is from a Quality in in Manitou Springs which is close to Colorado Springs in Colorado. The good thing about these free breakfasts is that you can gorge like a lunatic and not worry too much about lunch. You also don't have to choose from a menu or (gasp!) tip the waitress. OK it is plastic plates and cutlery but what a spread!

For my healthy option I had Froot Loops cereal which I assume contain fruit or indeed froot. These are coloured rings of stuff and they all have different tastes which you can combine in your mouth for different cocktails.

I also have a big waffle that I made myself. This machine made my holiday. You get a cup of batter from the dispenser and fill the hot griddle with it. You then lock it down and spin it around and 2 minutes later - a delicious hot waffle. There is also a maple syrup dispenser so you can soak that bad boy up. In addition there were also Danish pastries and I put a banana on the table for effect.

The Doctor Alt 8

I am getting fat just watching what you are eatting   :lol:

Mind you if you are a waffle fan you should visit Belgium and have one of their Stroopwaffles ( caramel waffles)
Healthy they are not... Addictive they are (according to my mate Futsie)

Buttonman

Not every meal takes place in medium to low cost restaurant or free buffet - sometimes public parks are plenty fine.

We planned ahead for this trip to 'The Garden of the Gods' and bought lunch in advance. Rolls and sandwiches were relatively expensive coming in at least $3.99 - no £1 cheese rolls here. It was a nice roll however. It was a 'pretzel' roll which was slightly sweet along with turkey and Swiss cheese. I always like a bit of crunch with my bakery goods so I tried out this different flavour of Funyuns. These were 'Flaming Hot' and although tasty they left a red residue on everything and it took me days to shake off the finger stains.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Buttonman

My head grew back - thank you for your concern.

This is the same breakfast buffet as yesterday. I spoke to the manager and she remarked that some strange person had taken sausage with his waffles. What a great plan! These tasty critters are like the ones you get in an egg and sausage McMuffin. You can see with the strands coming off my waffle that I got a bit ambitious and overfilled the machine with batter. Froot Loops were maintained and his time the healthy Danish attained centre stage.

Just about every bar you go to is hellbent on serving you food. Some, like this place in Denver, casually ask if you'd like some chips with your beer? An affermative sees a massive plate of natchos like this hove into view. These were nice and fried up on the premesies. Their salsa was also chunky with the required piquante flavour. Note the invisible man peering over the side of the table.

SuperSurfer

Carry on like that gonna need to get that belly wheel ordered.

CrazyFoxMachine

Nice tall pint of Blue Moon as well there - finding many good beer places? I know 'Merica have got a bit of a thing for micro hipster breweries atm the upshot of which surely would be the availability of interesting local brews - surely?

SURELY.

Also I only JUST watched the second season episode of Breaking Bad where Walt & Jesse go out cooking for the weekend and all Jesse brings to eat is four bags of Funyuns.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Jack on 27 September, 2013, 03:51:39 PM
Monster Munch; The King of crisps!

Nonsense; Monster Munch is a puff not a crisp, besides:

Link Prime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 September, 2013, 03:11:50 AM

They genuinely are the best crisps in the world.

Hawkmumbler

Loving this thread. I was always under the impression the average American luved exclusivly off Funyuns and Hostess cakes. Mr. Buttman you have opened my eyes, Americans are capable of producing rough proximations of actual food! :O

Buttonman

Beer you say? Oooft it was great - lots of micro and craft breweries.

This place in Denver claimed to have the most beers on draft in the world - over 100!

Here it is inside - I had about 3 and they were all lovely!

There was also the aptly named 'World of Beers' in Cherry Creek - they had a beer menu like a bible!

Mrs BM got through them a fridge at a time!

Note the gradual onset of being pissed!

Spikes

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 September, 2013, 03:11:50 AM

Each to their own Joe. Each to their own.
But why the need to rubbish my posts? If i bug you that much then simply put me on your ignore list. 

Frank

The expression of differing snack preferences and categorization doesn't seem like a serious basis for personal enmity to me, neebs. That said, the foul SOAP is clearly wrong regarding his definition of what is or what is not a crisp.

Quavers and Discos trade under either the evil SOAP's weasel word, "puff", or the so-vague-it's-meaningless term snacks, but only a madman or a communist would describe them as anything other than crisps. If my local Co-op can flog a variety of deep fried vegetables - including the suspiciously French sounding likes of aubergine and courgette - packaged in foil bags as crisps, then I'm fucking sure the proud British Monster Munch can glory under the name that is their natural right by birth and by long tradition.

YOU CAN TAKE MY CRISPS WHEN YOU PRISE THEM FROM MY COLD, DEAD HAND

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Jack on 29 September, 2013, 11:59:50 AM
Each to their own Joe. Each to their own.
But why the need to rubbish my posts? If i bug you that much then simply put me on your ignore list.

'Tis a jest in the spirit of the thread's culinary levity. One man's crisp is another's pressure-steamed kernel, but a puff should be enjoyed on its own terms, not consumed willy-nilly.

A unique property of Monster Munch and some of its aerated relations is that when the bag is emptied a potent amount of raw flavouring has gathered itself in the seam at the the bottom which can be up-ended and consumed straight-away for an intant MSG hit after the gorge or savoured later as a seasoning on sambos. A crisp is more a delicate balance: the trifecta of thinness, texture (flat or ridged) and light/strong flavouring.

Where Sauchie comes from everything (everything) is deep-fried anyway - in its original state or even if previously cooked/prepared - before it can be considered fit for consumption or attic insulation so his is a battered double-puff.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 September, 2013, 02:01:45 PM
Where Sauchie comes from everything (everything) is deep-fried anyway - in its original state or even if previously cooked/prepared - before it can be considered fit for consumption or attic insulation so his is a battered double-puff.

It's true, but at least all the deep fried pizza suppers Scottish chippies sold this weekend and the early deaths which result mean none of our teenage Mums have to wait too long for a council house. It's only a matter of time before one of our entrepreneurial chippers discovers the lunch time snack menu potential of offering Monster Munch tempura to kids from the local schools.

Back to slagging calamitous American dietary habits, I thought Funyuns were a grot pot or munce style invention by the show's writers, but research tells me they're a very real mix of extruded corn meal, onion powder and (I'm guessing) a shit load of salt. Mm-mm-mm-mm! Your dedication to experiencing absolutely everything American TV food culture has to offer is admirable, Buttonman.