Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Some chicken wings in Flagstaff. The sauce here was nice but there was a bit of black veinyness in some of the wings. Does anyone know if this is due to them being old or badly cooked? Of course I ate the lot anyway.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Buttonman on 05 October, 2013, 12:57:20 PM
Some chicken wings in Flagstaff. The sauce here was nice but there was a bit of black veinyness in some of the wings. Does anyone know if this is due to them being old or badly cooked? Of course I ate the lot anyway

Mutants.

Frank

Black goop running through their veins - you ever seen Prometheus? Obviously that unsatisfactory answer only poses a further series of questions ...

Buttonman

This was probably the best meal we had and certainly it was the most expensive. I started with the French onion soup which was fine and tasty with bread and melted cheese on top.

To follow I had the sirloin steak, mash and collared greens. The steak was excellent and cooked as requested to medium well perfection.

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 05 October, 2013, 10:13:53 PM
I had the sirloin steak, mash and collared greens.

What other collar would the greens be?

Buttonman

Buttonman

Our hotel in Flagstaff was the worst we stayed in and the promised breakfast turned out to orange coloured drink and that was it. Never short of options we went to Ihop which after a few previous visits I finally learned this is an acronym for 'International House of Pancakes'. The pancakes where, as you'd expect, excellent with this toppling tower a standard stack. I had strawberries, bananas and whipped cream and they come with a caddy of 4 syrups with which to drench them. They also stick a full coffee pot on your table to you don't need to grab the waitress for a refill. The bill here was about $25 and it kept us going until well after lunch.

Buttonman

This was a long held ambition achieved - a visit to an In-n-Out burger. There aren't that many of these and most are in California. There was one in Vegas but I missed the exit. Anyway they have a tiny menu of about 4 things but people like Gordon Ramsey swear they have the best burgers going.

This is me with their 'Double Double' which has two burgers and two wads of cheese. They also supply an adequate amount of fries which were crisp and had the skins on. As well as a tomato sauce dispenser they also have a 'help yourself' tub of green chillis. Being an all American I'm having a root beer and again it's help yourself so I had a couple of refills to see off the salty chips.

The burger was great - really tasty and meaty. I don't like big slabs of tomato so these were removed but the big disc of crisp onion was great. Overall I'd have to agree that it's probably the most enjoyable fast food burger experience that I've had - and I've had a few!

Spikes

Aye, i do love a good burger - but thats a heck of a lot of fries,  :o
Think id need to have a wee siesta after eating all that.

Buttonman

To be honest that's two lots of fries and the wife's burger in the basket - I'm a greedy bassa but not that greedy.

Frank

Even so, that still looks like a kiloton of salty chips you've got in that kitty litter tray, Buttonman. I'd heard In-n-Out burger mentioned on TV, but I wasn't sure if it was a fictional construct like Tarantino's Big Kahuna franchise. IHOP's another name I recognise from telly and film, but I'd never made the connection with International House of Pancakes.

I obviously need to get out more, because this thread's starting to seem informative as well as entertaining.

Buttonman

Oh yeah it's a learning experience this thread - hows to get fat in 50 easy steps.

More wings, this time at the Westin resport hotel in Scottsdale Arizona. This was a 5* hotel that the wife found us an $80 deal for on an Italian site - score. They had loads of eating choices but for something different we went to a sports pub and had the wings. This was the biggest portion we had - 13 wings and a cracking blue cheese dip that had big lumps of cheese in it. Irene had the shrimp cocktail that had 5 monsters in it and a nice mini bottle of Tabasco that is now in my dining kit.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 06 October, 2013, 08:54:04 PMIHOP's another name I recognise from telly and film, but I'd never made the connection with International House of Pancakes.

Yes, this was a revelation to me too.  I'd always taken 'I-Hop' to be some sort of truckstop-style diner chain, the 'I' standing for 'interstate'.  ::)

It's a good job chickens can't fly, 'cos there musty be a lot missing their wings after your trip...

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: Buttonman on 06 October, 2013, 09:41:28 PM
Oh yeah it's a learning experience this thread - hows to get fat in 50 easy steps.

This thread is both very entertaining and informative.... thanks for that Buttonman..
I am concerned however, at the 'stress' your shirt buttons seem to be under,  in the above photo....

Perhaps the 'wash' cycle you are using for your clothes in America is too hot,  and the material is shrinking...A cool wash is probably better... :D

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890