Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Beans are great, fried eggs are great. When they find themselves on the same plate, and the tomato sauce from the beans covers the egg, both taste revolting.

Trout

I don't really mind that. I'm just not crazy about beans. I'd rather have some mushrooms.

Tomato ketchup on a fried egg sandwich is, however, delicious.

I, Cosh

Sorry, but Sauchie has the right of it here. Any sauce other than hollandaise on eggs is an abomination.

Anyway, here's a quick tour of Wot I Ate on the Day I Flew Back to Edinburgh for Christmas.

Early start, down to the Weihnachtsmarkt for a spot of breakfast. Here we have a Fackelspeiss: essentially some meat wrapped around a long, sharp stick and stuck on the barbie for a few minutes. Delicious! Especially when accompanied, as it is here, with a steaming cup of Glühwein.

After a wander around the shops looking for some last minute Christmas presents, it was back to other side of the market for a lunch I have been having two or three times a week all through December. The Chäsbängel is half a baguette with the boring bready bit scooped out filled up with fondue instead. Naturally, the only thing to drink with this delicacy is another  cup of Glühwein.

Later that evening it was back to Edinburgh, miss my mate's band at Opium but neck three bottles of beer before catching the last freedom moped out of nowhere city and back to Glasgow. On the way to the station, I stopped off at the Clam Shell for one of those culinary delicacies which is sure to become synonymous with an independent Scotland.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the King Rib supper with salt, sauce and a pickle!

We never really die.

Buttonman

Oooft I could go that King Rib right now. I see you Swiss money grab has enabled you to get a pickle. Does the Blue Lagoon accept gold teeth?

Link Prime

My fridge has been stripped of carbohydrates for the past 36 hours and my fruit filled stomach is growling.

Goddamn ye Cosh, I'm ringing the chipper!

Trout

I love a king rib but those chips are shite. Sorry.

The Doctor Alt 8

You DO know what that stuff is made of.... Don't you?  ( need a spewing smillie here)

Trout

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 04 January, 2014, 01:01:21 AM
You DO know what that stuff is made of.... Don't you?  ( need a spewing smillie here)

Is it spew?

Yum. Delicious spew.

TordelBack

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Trout on 03 January, 2014, 11:24:54 PM
I'm also pining for black pudding.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder healthier
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

On my Christmas holidays, I've been mostly eating marzipan fruits. Just finished my fifth box of them. No more til this Chrimbo. But, for that 10 days, om nom nom
Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

Wrong! Beans are a must!

Back when I used to eat eggs, my favourite part of a full (veggie) breakfast was mopping up the yolk and any bean juice with some toast.

But now I tend to go for tattie scones/hash browns, mushrooms, beans, toast (and lots of it) and, something I would never have eaten when I was younger, grilled tomato. Plus coffee. Lots of coffee. Sorted me out nicely after our Christmas night out, that did.

If at home I'll add some fried Tempeh or Linda McCartney suasages (too many of the veggie sausages on offer have egg in them for me to trust eating them away from home).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Trout

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 04 January, 2014, 11:41:28 AM
Quote from: Trout on 03 January, 2014, 11:24:54 PM
I'm also pining for black pudding.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder healthier

It does. I'm not really craving anything too badly but I do occasionally want something like black pudding. Interestingly, it's always something fattening.

I'm about two stone lighter than when I arrived in Canada in the spring. Healthy food is cheaper here and, unlike in Scotland, there's a wider range of takeaway on offer. I'm finding it very easy to eat a bit better.

Also I'm usually too busy to eat lunch.  :)

Back on topic, I looooove those Linda McCartney sausages. Great on toast and quick to cook in a microwave.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 January, 2014, 01:07:23 PM
If at home I'll add some fried Tempeh or Linda McCartney suasages (too many of the veggie sausages on offer have egg in them for me to trust eating them away from home).

I'm a sucker for Linda McCartney's... once rolled them in puff pastry and made amazing sausage rolls. Glorious.