Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Can someone explain to me exactly what is in that pie? It looks like sausage, Bacon and at least one egg. Which kinda makes it the holy grail in my eyes...

Link Prime

Black pudding too by the looks of it.
I'm out due to the egg- an unexplained lifetime boycott of the horrible bloody things!

Good to see BM back doing what he does (2nd) best- the San Sebastien food pics will no doubt enthrall!

Also, to reply to a comment made on this thread months ago- yes, Linda McCartney sausages are amazing when rolled in puff pastry- I've recently devoured 4 of them!

Buttonman

The next day we had to be out at 6am to get our 8am flight - no free breakfast for us. Happily Madrid airport has some familiar grub. Here's me enjoying a sausage and egg McMuffin which was smaller than they are in the UK. The restaurants will get better!

Our flight was on time and we got to our hotel to be told we couldn't get our room until 2pm despite being a full day into our booking! Well if life sends you lemons go and get a coffee and a large 'Bola' which was like a Danish pastry only with a sugar glaze rather than icing. Nice 'flies' graveyard' of raisins in there too.

With the room still a distant dream we sought out some lunch - I'm bundling these together so you don't think I only have one shirt.

Here I am have some pintxos (local tapas). This is some tasty chorizo with bread. Ask for it 'Caliente' or it's cold sausage for you.

This one was a deep fried ball of spicy mince - mmm artery clogging!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 29 August, 2014, 02:40:55 PM
Can someone explain to me exactly what is in that pie? It looks like sausage, Bacon and at least one egg. Which kinda makes it the holy grail in my eyes...

QuoteThe £1.50 "fry-up" pie is crammed with sausage, bacon, black pudding and beans and is topped with a fried egg

Frank

Yer baws are deep fried and mince baws sound like the kind of things the gang of wee neds who hang around the Spar shop at night shout at you when you have to nip out to get milk for tomorrow morning. The idea of a country where you have to explain that a meat sausage needs to be cooked makes me shudder.

On a side note,  Buttonman's gamely Spanglish deployment of caliente and huevos rancheros in conversation reminds me that most of my knowledge of the Spanish language comes from US surf music.

Buttonman

Quote from: sauchie post office on 29 August, 2014, 10:03:07 PM

On a side note,  Buttonman's gamely Spanglish deployment of caliente and huevos rancheros in conversation reminds me that most of my knowledge of the Spanish language comes from US surf music.

Phonetics is my thing, not spelling of foreign tongues!

Buttonman

First night proper in San Sebastien saw us head for a sit down dinner rather than a tapas bar crawl. I started with these cheese and ham croquets - We made the mistake of ordering a starter each as the portion was massive - the waiter did give a clue by saying 'not to share?' but what the hey, they were very nice. Nice and crispy with a tangy cheese and juicy hame. The wife's prawn plate looks on.

Next up I had a steak - the menu said 't-bone' but not a bone was seen. The steak can be off-putting due to the price - the menu lists price by the Kg so although the menu said 35 Euros this big fella was only 14 Euros. It was cooked to perfection - 'medium, no blood'. Came with a cooked pepper and some flimsy chips.

Let's see that up close...

For my dessert I had a vodka and tangerine sorbet. It may have been the climate but it was really just a cold vodka and orange. Tasty palate cleanser all the same.

Frank

At last, we dispense with all the horrible airport lounge food and you immerse yourself fully in the culture and cuisine of the exotic foreign land to which you have travelled, with some authentically Spanish steak and chips. The side of beef's a whopper but why they decided to stick a few lonely wee bits of lettuce on there, getting all manky and shrivelled up as they're covered with hot cow juice, is beyond me.

I like the idea of drinking a Bacardi Breezer through a straw for desert, just to offset the macho protein rush from all the testosterone that steak sent surging through your system. Sort of like Alan Partridge's lager/small Baileys ladyboy combo.

Buttonman

The day after saw a return of the tired and emotional face - look at those eyes - piss holes in the snow!

Our hotel had a sumptuous breakfast buffet and I always started with a pile of fresh fruit and natural yoghurt. Get a lining in, that's my tip. I do have some Cava in my orange juice to kick start the day.

Next up was, of course, the fry up. They had chorizo and frankfurters but no lorne flat sausage! The bacon was a bit thick but nicely crispy. There were eggs available but you had to go an ask a man and I couldn't be bothered. Instead I have the fried potatoes, courgettes and chilli mix with the courgettes picked out, naturally.

To finish off, before the second sitting, I had a small plate from the pastry table. These were nice but I should have had the mini chocolate muffins - I didn't discover until much later that they had a liquid centre!

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Buttonman

Next up a football special - we went to see Real Sociedad play Krasnador in the Europa Cup qualifiers. Great experience - cracking night with all the bars offering lovely grub - no pie and bovril here. This is me with two pintxos - the stick is a pork kebab and the sausage a tasty chorizo - you see a lot of them. First sighting of the last Exit to Nowhere baseball cap too.

Next up was a nice Belgian beer and a sandwich. Unusual to see a sarnie - normally it's all bocadillos which are rough dry rolls that take some chewing. This chicken and lettuce effort was OK but I had to extract the tomato and feed it to the wife. Experience enhanced by a man smoking a big spliff by the door.

At the ground now and time for some more feasting. I had great Churros in Madrid but these, bought off a wagon, were less good. They are deep fried strips of pasty covered in sugar - a bit like a donut. In Madrid they came with hot chocolate sauce but no such accoutrements here.

Zarjazzer

nomnomnom.

That brekky with potatoes looks particularly good.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Devons Daddy

We have just returned from Italy, for a majority of the meals I was wearing 2000ad t shirt! I felt it added moral authority.
Overall ten days NO RICE (risotto does not count) no poultry or fish that was cooked with its head still on,
So lucky they don't like beef much around Asia! Perfect crusty bread and lots of butter. It was blissful.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Buttonman

2000ad t-shirt you say? Here we go - a self assembled ham and cheese on toast with some continental HP sauce.

Hawkmumbler

This buzzing can only hail the return of my favorite thread. Nomnomnom indeed!