Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

Cheers all. I know there's not much I can do but ride it out. Pretty sure there's nothing I can do to change it. Despite having been (though I say so myself) an exemplary boyfriend, she appears to be an even better commitment-phobe. She dumped the last boyfriend in similar circumstances (flew home to visit family, dumped him when they got back).  I didn't go with her on this trip, as he had reportedly made the last trip a nightmare and she deserved to spend some time alone with her family and friends. It does seem to be a recurring theme, though. I just hope she doesn't end up describing me in the same way she did him.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Tiplodocus

Nice evening. We discovered a £900 bit of card fraud, the dishwasher is officially goosed and appears to have been leaking under the kitchen lino for a considerable amount of time.

Still, at least we have a kitchen etc.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

That is offically a crap night, worse thing is these come in threes  :-X
DDT did a job on me

Rog69

We had to bin an entire freezer full of food this week, the wife left it open overnight and we didn't notice until later in the day yesterday.

I hate wasting food but we didn't realise we had half of it anyway as a lot of it was entombed in ice in the top two compartments, so not a massive loss and it forced us to do a well overdue defrost anyway.

radiator

Yes yes, it's a 'First World Problem' (yawn), and I don't want this to be an invitation for the Apple haters to crawl out of the woodwork, but....

What on Earth is Apple's reasoning for making the simple act of transferring music onto a device via iTunes such a fucking ordeal?

Every time I try to do it I get so frustrated and angry that I want to put my foot through the monitor.

I have two computers (one at work, one at home) with completely different media libraries, and just want to drag and drop music and podcasts between them. I don't want to 'sync'. I don't want to erase everything on the phone every time I copy some new songs onto it. I don't want to use 'iTunes Radio', whatever the hell that is.

I remember it being easy to manually manage content on older versions of iTunes and old-style clickwheel iPods. I mean, simply operating an iOS device is (for the most part) beautifully elegant and intuitive - I can only conclude that they are deliberately trying to make it as confusing and nightmarish as humanly possible for some reason. To try and force everyone to purchase everything on iTunes via their phone?

Tiplodocus

I'm not happy with this general trend of apps just taking it for granted how to sort and display things for you. Or worse, hide the thing you have just created in some hidden away folder. Just because 90% of the population is too dumb to remember where they put things and to sort them logically, or can't   recognise which emails are part of what conversation you are having,  doesn't mean I am.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

Quote from: radiator on 03 November, 2014, 09:01:49 PM
Yes yes, it's a 'First World Problem' (yawn), and I don't want this to be an invitation for the Apple haters to crawl out of the woodwork, but....

What on Earth is Apple's reasoning for making the simple act of transferring music onto a device via iTunes such a fucking ordeal?

This. And transferring pictures too.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 04 November, 2014, 12:05:31 PM

This. And transferring pictures too.

Dunno about the pictures, but isn't the music just a drag and drop affair from the library? And to get it in the library you just drag the mp3's from your folder into the library.

Not that I'm an apple fan or anything, but it's not that bad?

Frank

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 05 November, 2014, 01:57:37 AM
isn't the music just a drag and drop affair from the library? And to get it in the library you just drag the mp3's from your folder into the library. Not that I'm an apple fan or anything, but it's not that bad?

radiator continues ...

I have two computers (one at work, one at home) with completely different media libraries, and just want to drag and drop music and podcasts between them. I don't want to 'sync'. I don't want to erase everything on the phone every time I copy some new songs onto it

Every single person who owns an Apple device has thought exactly the same thing the first time they try to buy a song from their work computer. It's bizarre.

Mardroid

I ordered Zenith Phase 1 a while back from Amazon.com. (I'm in England but it actually turned out cheaper for some reason.)

I kinda forgot about it for a while then saw posts on this forum and thought I'd better check on the order.

I  just checked the tracking information on Amazon.com. Apparently it was delivered 19 October! Which is nice... But...  I guess the word "phase" was more apt than I'd have though as it's not in my level of perception.

I wonder if they left a little card somewhere and the parcel is currently with a neighbour... Who is to last to pop it round.

Richmond Clements

QuoteWhat on Earth is Apple's reasoning for making the simple act of transferring music onto a device via iTunes such a fucking ordeal?

I use a free program called CopyTrans - much easier.

Albion

Can't you just drag stuff from one Finder window to another?
I've done it with photos on my Mac mini but I must admit I haven't tried it with music files.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Mardroid

Quote from: Mardroid on 05 November, 2014, 09:09:43 AM
I wonder if they left a little card somewhere and the parcel is currently with a neighbour... Who is to last to pop it round.

That should read "too lazy to pop it round" . Predictive text and being on a bus. That's my excuse.

And I notice what a great big moaner I appear in that post over something that's pretty negligible really.

Theblazeuk

QuoteI've done it with photos on my Mac mini but I must admit I haven't tried it with music files.

Funnily enough, using an iPod is much easier on a Mac. On Windows, you basically have to dump every photo onto your hard drive - no drag and drop.

Music you can do drag-n-drop using iTunes only - no direct to device - but Apple keeps trying to get you to sync, has made the interface much harder to effectively drag-n-drop and there are all kinds of headaches that occur when you switch between them. One of the reasons I never had an interest in buying an ipod, was happy with my USB-stick 4 gig MP3 stick-player. Then my dad upgraded and upgraded so I got one for free.... And barely listen to music now because of the hassle of moving stuff around.

I, Cosh

Quote from: sauchie tower on 05 November, 2014, 07:39:16 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 05 November, 2014, 01:57:37 AM
isn't the music just a drag and drop affair from the library? And to get it in the library you just drag the mp3's from your folder into the library. Not that I'm an apple fan or anything, but it's not that bad?

radiator continues ...

I have two computers (one at work, one at home) with completely different media libraries, and just want to drag and drop music and podcasts between them. I don't want to 'sync'. I don't want to erase everything on the phone every time I copy some new songs onto it
Every single person who owns an Apple device has thought exactly the same thing the first time they try to buy a song from their work computer. It's bizarre.
Had you posted this six weeks ago I would've snorted and told you I'd never had a problem with mine in the two years I've had it. Then the whole free U2 album led to me trying to download music which I'd apparently purchased to my local iTunes for the first time. Which resulted in a corrupted music library index and an iPod which wouldn't get past the second stage of verification to the bit where you can actually add files to it.

After two weeks of fannying around I had to give in, delete everything off it and start again. Fucking Bono.

I think the most irritating thing about iTunes is that it doesn't rescan your music library folder when you open it so you have to add new stuff manually. Oh, and it ignores any cover art you already have and makes you download it again. And it's painfully slow at ripping CDs.
We never really die.