Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: marko10174 on 11 January, 2018, 12:18:37 AM
I can't believe it featured on the front cover! it's hilarious due to lack of subtlety and how inappropriate it was, a real face palm moment. But it goes to show how far the strip has come.

I think that's the best take on it, TBH.  How far we've all come. Or most of us, at least.

Jade Falcon

I'd have thought Sambo was outdated, for lack of a better term, during the likes of Alf Garnett or Love Thy Neighbor, never mind Dredd.

Though saying that, look at some of the early Judge Giant dialogue where ever sentence was ended with 'baby'. :)
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

Some hugely iconic stories in Chopper. I'm not sure I was entirely convinced by The Big Meg, although it was perhaps all just for the adrenalin rush of surfing in his home town again while sticking it to the Judges. Great art by Messrs Goddard and Teague too.

Jade Falcon

Finished reading Chopper, an okay book.  Not one of my favourites but Chopper has never been my favourite character.  Not a BAD book, but nothing special IMHO.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

moogie101

A lot of books that were supposedly out of stock are now available again.

Swerty

Maybe I've missed it but is there a better image of the extension spine artwork.

Tomwe

Not that I've seen! I'm sure when the Marvel one extended they trumpeted the new spine as it featured new characters etc. Still baffled by the lack of information on the extension.

IndigoPrime

Is this were we get a ten-volume Sonny Steelgrave's Greatest Hits?

davidbishop

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 January, 2018, 02:38:23 PM
Is this were we get a ten-volume Sonny Steelgrave's Greatest Hits?

When they reach the bottom of the barrell, there shall be found The Soul Sisters.

At the other end of the quality spectrum, I'm bemused why Middenface: One Man an his Dug has never been reprinted!

The Monarch

i am sad it never got reprinted that or young middenface i guess it just wasn't dredd enough

IndigoPrime

Quote from: davidbishop on 23 January, 2018, 10:56:28 PMWhen they reach the bottom of the barrell, there shall be found The Soul Sisters.
If Soul Sisters is the bottom of the barrel, Sonny Steelgrave Dredd is buried several miles underground.

Jade Falcon

I'm afraid the Sonny Steelgrave and Soul Sisters references pass me by, though the latter sounds a bit like a Phobia and Nausea title.

Davgardo

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 24 January, 2018, 08:18:36 PM
I'm afraid the Sonny Steelgrave and Soul Sisters references pass me by, though the latter sounds a bit like a Phobia and Nausea title.

Sonny Steelgrave was a pen name of Jon Tomlinson, i think. Wrote some mid 90's Dredds which while not particularly memorable were ok and certainly didn't plumb the depths of Mark Millar.

IndigoPrime

Huh. Perhaps Bish-OP could chime in here, but I thought the Steelgrave Dredds were penned by Alan McKenzie, using one of his alleged several pen-names (including, according to rumour, Roxilla).

Greg M.

It was both. Some of the Steelgraves are Tomlinson, some are McKenzie. I believe, for instance, they did alternating episodes on 'Sugar Beat'.