Main Menu

DC Comics Graphic Novel Collection!

Started by rogue69, 18 July, 2015, 12:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

DC are putting out some pretty good stuff at the moment Superman has more of a buzz than it's had in years, Dan Annett's Aquaman is great fun and Tom King's Batman is supposed to be good.
As ever, the worst thing about the DC Universe is the obsession over what is/isn't 'canon' and how everything they've published ever fits together. This obsession with continuity is a cancer that infects both Marvel and DC and I hope one day they just forget about it.

Professor Bear

DC and Marvel encourage continuity fetishism, though - Action Comics, for instance, will soon be celebrating its 1000th issue by bringing back Superman's red underpants, despite Action Comics publishing its "first" issue a few years ago.  DC have bolted older versions of characters onto fresher versions - Hal Jordan, Superman, Barry Allen, etc.  Publishers know their audience is driven partly by nostalgia and appeal to that, but it doesn't mean that they or their audience don't mind starting over now and then.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 January, 2018, 09:21:49 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 January, 2018, 09:28:56 PM
You're quoting a post from 2015.
Yes when what you said, by all available evidence, was still poppycock.

Which still stings, apparently.
The economics of North American comics is well-documented elsewhere, from the amount of sales necessary to break even to actual month-to-month sales, to the retail pre-order system that means that comics sales are known three months in advance (which recently allowed IDW to cancel Scarlet's Strike Force before its first issue had even gone on sale), but yeah, I've conjured this all up out of nowhere just to make fun of poor old DC.

Smith

Which is not that different from prog #2000,for example.
Maybe you have some better info then me,but according to Diamond and Comichron,market share and dollar share favoured DC in recent times.That,and Didio likes to point out they sell a crapton of hardcovers/absolute/deluxe editions.Which seems pretty plausible.

Professor Bear

Likely as one of the reasons DC were technically losing money was because for many years Titan were publishing their trade collections, rather than DC doing it themselves like Marvel did.

Quote from: Smith on 20 January, 2018, 02:28:36 PMMaybe you have some better info then me,but according to Diamond and Comichron,market share and dollar share favoured DC in recent times.

I don't have any inside info, I just follow comics pros on Twitter, and they mostly talk about how North American comics distribution is utterly fucked, lettering, and Kieron Gillen's bad puns.  This is literally all there is to comics Twitter, and if I'm honest they don't actually talk about comics distribution that much.

Although if you want to keep abreast of comics economics talk, Rob Liefeld, Erik Larson, and Aubrey Sitterson are a good place to start, as for various reasons they're past giving a fuck.  Liefeld's stories about being called by a crying Mike Carlin who begged him to come back to write/draw Hawkman again were quite funny.

Mattofthespurs

I like comics.
I like DC's output at the moment.
I subscribe to various titles, all DC (except the tooth and the meg obvs).

Jesus. Who cares? It's their business and there are always going to be people who are not happy.
That's their job and their sales figures.

I won't buy a title when it becomes boring.

And Liefeld's stories are just that. I don't care for his art at all. So I stopped buying anything he drew.

And that's cool.