Main Menu

How do you read your comic?

Started by Daveycandlish, 28 October, 2014, 12:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Note that's HOW, not *where*, I don't want to picture half of you sitting on the bog reading it whilst taking a dump!

Do you read it all in one sitting? From front cover to back? Make it last a day or two reading one story at a time? Read it in order they are printed, or choose your favourite to read first or save your fave 'til last?

I always read Dredd first then pick and choose the lesser strips in order building to a thrill powered overload with my fave - currently Stickleback.

What about you?
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

NapalmKev

Front to back, everytime. I read the whole thing, even strips I'm not that keen on.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

TordelBack

I try to read mine in order in one sitting, apart from leaving the Nerve Center, Droid Life, Damage Control and Input untll last, but my plan is often derailed when there are strips I'm not mad about, or thrilling cliffhangers to resolve - in which case I force myself to read the most urgent first (usually but not always Dredd, quite recently it was Slaine), the rest in order in between, and the second-most urgent last (usually something by Abnett or Edginton). 

This first read-through (often in the car, or while walking) is sometimes unsatisfying, especially when there are dense rewarding strips like Stickleback or good Future Shocks to be had, and I find the second more leisurely read (often in bed, bath or shed) is the real test of Proggly quality and pays the most dividends - this one is always done cover-to-cover.

Third and subsequent re-reads are usually story-specific, and thus can be in any order.

Colin YNWA

Yeah another front to back man. Typically.

On rare occasions I'll break my rule and nip to a specific story normally for cliffhanger based reason, but this is rare.

I try to read it in one go, but life often gets in the way, but often I'll delay my read until I can do so.

As with Tordelback subsequent re-reads are normally story specific.

Gladwin

Front to back in my case as well. Except for the days where Nikolai Dante was in the prog, in which case I would read that first.

Dandontdare

I often read it in REVERSE order of preference - the strips I don't like first (I never skip), and then in ascending order of Zarjazzness, usually finishing with Dredd. This worked fine until the amazing Trifecta reveal, which went over my head because I read them in the wrong order!

Almost always read it in one go - the sound of the letterbox late Saturday morning is my cue to make a big mug of tea and then go back to bed with my prog before any other weekend activities - priorities guys!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 October, 2014, 01:24:04 PM
Yeah another front to back man. Typically.

On rare occasions I'll break my rule and nip to a specific story normally for cliffhanger based reason, but this is rare.

I try to read it in one go, but life often gets in the way, but often I'll delay my read until I can do so.

As with Tordelback subsequent re-reads are normally story specific.

I'm with Rowdy Yates Colin YNWA on this one, sadly the third re-read often has a panel count element  :-[
DDT did a job on me

Bat King

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 October, 2014, 12:40:33 PM

This first read-through (often in the car, or while walking) is sometimes unsatisfying, especially when there are dense rewarding strips like Stickleback or good Future Shocks to be had, and I find the second more leisurely read (often in bed, bath or shed) is the real test of Proggly quality and pays the most dividends - this one is always done cover-to-cover.

I assume you aren't driving... how do you read while walking???
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

TordelBack

Quote from: Bat King on 28 October, 2014, 02:21:16 PM

Nah not driving, sitting in the car after purchase wondering how long I can feasibly leave the kids standing on the side of the road after karate practice before someone calls Social Services.  Although I have been known to sneak the odd glance while stuck in traffic.

As to walking, practice, man, practice: I've been reading the Prog on the walk home from the shops for 30something years! 

Fungus

Quote from: Bat King on 28 October, 2014, 02:21:16 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 28 October, 2014, 12:40:33 PM

And who apologises when you walk into the kiddiwinks in the street, head-down in Facebooksville?

TordelBack

Quote from: Fungus on 28 October, 2014, 02:53:23 PM
And who apologises when you walk into the kiddiwinks in the street, head-down in Facebooksville?

I've ne'er hit a one - it's my one concession to the alien world of multi-tasking.  Do it with books too if it's a long walk, but comics are easier. I cannot, however, successfully text/type and avoid collisions.

Proudhuff

You don't understand Thrillpower Fungus, even bullets bounce off.
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Yep. I'm a front-to-back man. All the stories, in order, even if I'm not really enjoying a story. It's only five or six pages — even I'm not so busy that I can't find the time to read five pages of comic.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Fungus

I'm always front-to-back, that includes all content. The prospect of jumping around the contents makes me feel a bit agitated  :)

Sidebar: I am ALWAYS shocked at people's quoted reading speeds. Last couple of progs have taken almost an hour each. Prog-slog, still 45 mins. I'm not especially thick, but in my "thorough" reading (slog aside, I never re-read strips), am I doing it wrong ?  :)
Someone in a recent Nerve Centre had read, oh, 100 progs in a week (I think). To me, that's bonkers. Don't think it's a boast; seems to be considered normal.

SmallBlueThing

Front to back once Ive read the Nerve Centre and the letters page in that order (on the sacred and holy days that there is one). If there's a strip I'm skipping, such as Black Suck, Brass Sun or Red Seas, I will still glance at the pages and try a panel or two.

And, apropos of nothing, I usually read mine in the bath.

SBT