Main Menu

Do you miss a Christmas Annual?

Started by Daveycandlish, 07 December, 2014, 09:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

I know I do.

Christmas as a kid always involved lying on the floor reading the hardback adventures of your favourite characters all the while feasting on the contents of a selection box.
Annuals are few and far between these days although it has been heartening to see the British big boys reprinting some stories from Battle, Roy of the Rovers, Hotspur and others this year.

The latest venture from PARAGON comic is an 80s style hardback christmas annual!  :)
All your favourite weird and wonderful heroes are here;

Jikan - the time travelling demon hunting samurai - in two new adventures written by Dirk Van Dom and Mark Howard,
Spencer Nero - the British agent who finds superhuman strength whenever he dons the Janus mask - by Greg Meldrum,
Bulldog - the anthropomorphic protector of the skies of Blighty - appears in a tale by Jason Cobley and Mitzi,
Icarus Dangerous returns courtesy of creators Dirk Van Dom and Stephen Prestwood,
L'il Ganesh has another rhyming adventure written by Davey Candlish and illustrated by Jim Cameron and whole lot more!

http://www.lulu.com/content/hardcover-book/paragon-annual-2015/15543221

Order yours now in time for Christmas! (Preview art to follow!)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Daveycandlish

Here we go with the first bit of preview art

Jikan - Cold as Ice
Pencils by Tom Newell from a script by Dirk Van Dom
Can't show the inked and lettered version - lettered by Jim Campbell - without giving away a big plot point!

As much as I love a physical copy, I know some folk prefer theirs digital - so here's a link to the e-edition.
http://www.lulu.com/content/15895430
Only 99p!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Daveycandlish

The return of Icarus Dangerous! By original creators Dirk Van Dom and Stephen Prestwood, lettered by Ken Reynolds

The Legendary Shark

My hardback copy was ordered off Lulu today - my Christmas present to me! A hardback annual winging its way to me - I feel like a kid again!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Greg M.

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 08 December, 2014, 07:30:43 AM
The return of Icarus Dangerous!

Featuring the most perverted panel PARAGON's ever published!

The Legendary Shark

"Perverted"? Well - it seems my new childhood has come to a crashing end even sooner than my first one - thanks, Greg - my Mum will never let me see anything perverted (I have to search under hedges and at the back of my Dad's shed for that...)  :-(
Humbug!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Greg M.

It's all right, the sordid panel in question derives from classical mythology, so that makes it art rather than filth.

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Daveycandlish

Aye, those Greeks were a bunch of old pervs you know!  :o

Thanks for the review and plug, Bat King. hugely appreciated!

More preview panels for your perusal

Bulldog; Mertropolis by Jason Cobley and Mitzi

Order yours now to get it in time for Christmas  :)

Daveycandlish

And as with any good annual, there's a text story - this one features Spencer Nero

Spencer Nero's Secret by Greg Meldrum

and here's a taster;

A strange and awkward silence fell as Spencer looked at his hands. He was gripped by a piercing chill, as if buffeted by the icy winds of the grim North Sea.

"Are you all right?" Alabaster asked, noting the Civil Centurion's sudden pallor.

"I... have a confession," stammered Spencer queasily.

Alabaster smiled benignly, like a disapproving but not entirely unsympathetic uncle. "Spencer," he began. "Is this about your secret collection of - ?"

"No!" interrupted Spencer. "This is worse. Much worse." He paused, trying to collect himself. "It's been my hidden shame for so long," he finally blurted out. "I've never been able to admit it. I just couldn't accept it was true. But the fact is..." He dropped suddenly to his knees, clutching his head in his hands. He tried again to speak. "The fact is..."

Daveycandlish

Daveycandlish

More preview art;

The Major - De'il's Jig by Tom Proudfoot and George Coleman

and today ONLY, you can get 40% off if you quote RWE1 at checkout - a bargain!

Daveycandlish

I know I publish this thing but this book looks chuffing FANTASTIC!

I can't wait to tuck into this  :)

Daveycandlish

You know, I went to my LCS today and bought the Marvelman Annual. $5.
That's £3.50.
For what amounts to a Grant Morrison piece of fan fiction from the 80s padded out to 11 pages by having a couple of splash pages. The rest is basically filler. Hell, the whole thing was. It's no wonder they shrink wrap this comic, otherwise folk would just stand and read it in the shop. It took about three minutes to read.

For less than a quid you could get this 68 page PARAGON annual which will engross you for ten times as long.
Grant Morrison was unknown when he wrote the Kid Marvelman story. There are no star contributors to this particular issue of PARAGON but if you are a reader of Zarjaz you will know the names of a lot of folk who contributed to this annual; Jim Campbell, Greg Meldrum, Mark Howard, Matthew McLaughin, Stephen Prestwood, Dirk Van Dom and more.

99p for the digital version. So much more worth it than wasting more cash on fewer pages from the American Big Boys
Take the plunge and download a copy. At less than a quid it may well be the bargain you've been hunting for.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/paragon-comic/paragon-annual-2015-ebook/ebook/product-21939451.html

Greg M.

I finally got hold of my physical copy of this - I've had a contributor's .pdf for a while, of course, but for me, it doesn't really compare to having the actual annual in your hands. The old-school annual is such a great format, and this one is such a gorgeous item: I particularly love the luxurious colour choices for the cover.

In terms of the insides, great mix of new and old. Lovely bold, distinctive, stylised art on the Bulldog story (though is that comic sans on the lettering?) And I was especially happy to see Icarus Dangerous back, since I'd rate its original run as a real high-point of PARAGON to date. (Though I will admit to being somewhat surprised by that panel. Blimey, those dirty Ancient Greeks!) Overall though, a cracking artefact of seasonal loveliness.