Main Menu

The 2000 AD Thrill-Cast - the official podcast of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic!

Started by Molch-R, 22 January, 2015, 10:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Angelino

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 April, 2017, 09:07:53 PM
Quote from: Tony Angelino on 27 April, 2017, 07:40:55 PM
Nikolai Dante. Not one of my favourite characters and therefore was going to be a challenging listen for a 2 hour podcast.

Could I respectfully suggest not listening to two hours of a thing you already know you won't enjoy before you start?

You may suggest it but not being blessed with precognitive powers I did not know I wasn't going to enjoy it before I started.

I subscribe to the podcast and listen to most of them. I usually enjoy the Thrillcast.

As I wrote in my post, being a sensible chap, I didn't listen to two hours of it. I stuck with it until the Dante is Trump comment which I thought was bizarre (I think the co-creator did as well) and decided, not being a particular fan of the character, it wasn't worth me listening to it any further.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 27 April, 2017, 10:36:00 PM
You may suggest it but not being blessed with precognitive powers I did not know I wasn't going to enjoy it before I started.

You said you didn't like Dante. That might have tipped you off to the fact that a two-hour Dante-specific podcast might not have been to your taste.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tony Angelino

Jim.

I've already said I thought it was going to be a challenging listen but feel free to cherry pick parts of what I've said to make a point. Call me a maverick but I decided to begin listening to the podcast anyway.

I don't like most of what Garth Ennis did for the prog and have read very little of his work elsewhere. However I find him really interesting to listen to.

sheridan

In other news - I've listened to the latest Mega-City Book Club podcast which also happens to be about Dante, so shall look forward to listening to the Thrillcast this weekend.

CalHab

Quote from: sheridan on 28 April, 2017, 12:45:53 PM
In other news - I've listened to the latest Mega-City Book Club podcast which also happens to be about Dante, so shall look forward to listening to the Thrillcast this weekend.

I listened to both of them and enjoyed hearing from the different perspectives of creators and fans. It also prompted me to order a copy of Too Cool to Kill, which I'm looking forward to.

CalHab

The first part of the Robin Smith interview was fascinating. Looking forward to the next episode.

Tiplodocus

Just caught up with the Alan Hebden one (really interesting; full on insights into man and strips), Beginner's Guide to Writing Judge Dredd (also great) and the Dredd Mega City One tv show (not so good fun probably because all that was on offer was lots of enthusiasm rather than facts. But I understand why the episode was needed). Next up, Mrs Mills' not and Robin Smith both of which I am really looking forward to.

Great stuff. Keep it up. (Please)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Timothy

There are a couple of news nuggets in the latest one.
1) There's a Mills & Bisley Joe Pineapples series in the offing, but more importantly
2) There is a secret hidden fourth book of The Horned God!!!!!! (I suppose it may be Mills miscounting, but I'd prefer my interpretation).

sheridan

Quote from: Timothy on 24 August, 2017, 09:34:14 AM
There are a couple of news nuggets in the latest one.
1) There's a Mills & Bisley Joe Pineapples series in the offing, but more importantly
2) There is a secret hidden fourth book of The Horned God!!!!!! (I suppose it may be Mills miscounting, but I'd prefer my interpretation).

Not having heard it yet, but is there a date for the long-awaited Joe Pineapples story?  I think it was first announced over a year ago, so let's hope the wait is worth it!

Muon

I'm looking forward to seeing the mysterious fourth book of The Horned God.

Was great to hear Mills and Bisley chat about Slaine. Every image they mention came into my head straight away as they were talking, fully formed. Just shows how powerful and memorable the imagery was. I can even remember the severed fingers flying through the air.

And Simon Bisley has the delivery of a stand-up comedian. I'd pay to watch an Edinburgh show of just him talking.

CalHab

I've just been catching up with this and have to say that the John Stokes interview was excellent. What an incredible career that man has had!

I've ordered a copy of Marney, so Molch-R is obviously earning his oil ration.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 15 September, 2017, 12:53:17 PM
I've just been catching up with this and have to say that the John Stokes interview was excellent. What an incredible career that man has had!

I've ordered a copy of Marney, so Molch-R is obviously earning his oil ration.

Yeah just to echo this one of my favourites to date an absolutely fantastic listen. The stories of John's early days I could have happily kept listening to for hours, alas Molch-R had to go on about comics!

But yeah another order of Marney off the back of the podcast as event though I love John Stokes art its not a strip I know or immediately caught my imagination. On the back of this I'm sold.

Frank

I think the word used most often in their chat is lovely, which seems like the most appropriate word to describe the episode itself.

Highly recommended, if only as relief from the usual comic creator biography of youthful enthusiasm ground down by a cruel and exploitative industry.

I had no idea who Stokes was when I reluctantly pressed play, so I was surprised to learn I'd been enjoying his work every month in the greatest ongoing comic of the nineties*

https://m.soundcloud.com/2000-ad/marney-the-fox-with-john-stokes

* that's what they call a tease. WHAT HAPPENED NEXT WILL AMAZE YOU, as they say on social media

CalHab

As well as being an all round lovely bloke, what comes across in the interview is his delight in the medium and how he has embraced change. I loved the image of him swearing away in his office while he learned to use Photoshop in one day.

inkymonkey

Been really enjoying the Thrillcasts of late! Keep up the excellent work Molch-R!