Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Quote from: marko10174 on 01 February, 2018, 05:57:22 PM

Does anyone know what strips are coming after Abc warrior and Rogue trooper?
No idea what 15 is but my records show these to follow:
16   21   Nemesis The Warlock Vol 3
17   55   Zombo
18   29   Slaine 1
19   74   Nikolai Dante 3
20   54   Hewligan's Haircut

Tomwe

Rogue Trooper: Volume 1
The battle-scarred planet of Nu Earth is the site of an epic conflict between the Southers and the Norts. Its atmosphere poisoned by chemical weapons, no one can survive on this hellworld without the aid of breathing apparatus – no one, that is, apart from the Genetic Infantrymen: cloned soldiers bred for war. The last of these G.I.s is Rogue Trooper – and he's gone AWOL to find the traitor that sold out his comrades!

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Tomwe on 02 February, 2018, 11:25:04 AM
Rogue Trooper: Volume 1
The battle-scarred planet of Nu Earth is the site of an epic conflict between the Southers and the Norts. Its atmosphere poisoned by chemical weapons, no one can survive on this hellworld without the aid of breathing apparatus – no one, that is, apart from the Genetic Infantrymen: cloned soldiers bred for war. The last of these G.I.s is Rogue Trooper – and he's gone AWOL to find the traitor that sold out his comrades!

Iconic cover. My guess is this will include everything up to and including All Hell on the Dix-I Front.

sintec

Just finished vol2 of Dante, that book just get's better and better as it goes along.  I wasn't quite sure what all the fuss was about with vol1, I mean it was fun but it didn't seem worthy of the high praise it was getting.  Vol2 however really ratcheted things up, superb stuff.  John Burn's art in the last couple of stories was gorgeous as well, it's the perfect compliment to Dante's world.  Looking forward to more of that in future volumes.

Can't wait to get ABC Warriors next month.  Not sure about Rouge, war stories aren't always my thing, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.  Surprised to see Vol 3 of Nemesis so soon after the first 2. Not complaining though as I really enjoyed the last one, just assumed these series would be a bit more spread out over the years.  Then Zombo & Slaine the following month and more Nikolai the month after that, the thrillpower shows no sign of relenting.  Good stuff.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sintec on 03 February, 2018, 10:15:17 AM
Just finished vol2 of Dante, that book just get's better and better as it goes along.  I wasn't quite sure what all the fuss was about with vol1, I mean it was fun but it didn't seem worthy of the high praise it was getting.  Vol2 however really ratcheted things up, superb stuff.  John Burn's art in the last couple of stories was gorgeous as well, it's the perfect compliment to Dante's world.  Looking forward to more of that in future volumes.

Man yeah wait until you get to the next volume, that's going to be quite something!

Jade Falcon

I felt the same about Dante, enjoyable in a silly way but I couldn't see why it was getting rave reviews, but I've read a LOT worse, believe me.  I've still to start the second.  Rogue, I always enjoyed, though I did read the 'galactic hitman' era that was getting silly.

The grimmer Realpolitik era book was quite nice, as was 86ers, but I've never read Tor Cyan or Friday stories.  I hear they're a mixed bag.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

GaryUK

Quote from: Tomwe on 01 February, 2018, 10:51:50 PM
Quote from: marko10174 on 01 February, 2018, 05:57:22 PM

Does anyone know what strips are coming after Abc warrior and Rogue trooper?
No idea what 15 is but my records show these to follow:
16   21   Nemesis The Warlock Vol 3
17   55   Zombo
18   29   Slaine 1
19   74   Nikolai Dante 3
20   54   Hewligan's Haircut

Hope you don't mind my asking but how do you find out so far in advanced what's coming?  I'm certainly looking forward to Nemesis vol.3, Zombo and Slaine vol.1, but have no real interest in Nikolai Dante, and I've never read Hewligan's Haircut.  Worth getting..?

TordelBack

Picked up Dante Vol 2 today, what an absolute monster of a comic.  Can't get over what value these books represent.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: sintec on 03 February, 2018, 10:15:17 AM
Not sure about Rouge, war stories aren't always my thing, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Don't worry, Rogue is a far better character than his make-up wearing brother. ;)

Woolly

For those reading Dante for the first time - keep going! It just gets better and better.

Re: Tor Cyan. One of 2000AD's biggest missed opportunities IMO. Could have carried on Rogue's legacy in a truly inventive way, but just fizzled out in the end. Still awesome though, again IMO.

sintec

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 03 February, 2018, 08:07:15 PM
I felt the same about Dante, enjoyable in a silly way but I couldn't see why it was getting rave reviews, but I've read a LOT worse, believe me.  I've still to start the second.

You've got some great reading ahead off you then.

The Monarch

i think once you get the third book of dante in your hands you'll realise why its held in such high reguard by many people

Tomwe

Quote from: GaryUK on 03 February, 2018, 08:08:47 PM
Hope you don't mind my asking but how do you find out so far in advanced what's coming?  I'm certainly looking forward to Nemesis vol.3, Zombo and Slaine vol.1, but have no real interest in Nikolai Dante, and I've never read Hewligan's Haircut.  Worth getting..?

YES Hewligan's Haircut is an insane, essential classic to my mind. By Peter Milligan & Jamie (Gorillaz) Hewlett. The book also includes Sooner Or Later by Milligan, Brendan McCarthy & Hewlett. 

I have been keeping tabs on any questions asked of the Facebook Page moderators (and asking my own). When the series was announced the forum members and FB page fans were keen to work out what they were getting themselves into, so while exact release dates for most are not know we have almost completely worked out what the 80 books will be.
If you want to see my spreadsheet of future books its a google docs sheet here.

Arkady

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 03 February, 2018, 08:07:15 PMI felt the same about Dante, enjoyable in a silly way but I couldn't see why it was getting rave reviews, but I've read a LOT worse, believe me.
Dante is sneaky. It starts off as a fun, but inconsequential slice of 2000 AD action, if a bit more grown up in some ways than the classic thrills. But then it just builds and builds and builds. I'd say it's my favourite 2000 AD series of them all, eclipsing even the classic run of Strontium Dog.

QuoteI've still to start the second.  Rogue, I always enjoyed, though I did read the 'galactic hitman' era that was getting silly.
Rogue, on the other hand, I can take or leave. it's fine, but rarely becomes entirely engaging. It'll be interesting to see what this hand-picked selection does for the strip. Rogue is a series that would be very easy to edit down to something much more interesting. That said, we could just get the classic pre-Hit run, which would – to my mind – omit the best stuff (Cinnebar, and the Rennie run – although all of that's in a single Rebellion volume).

As for Tor Cyan, I agree with others posting here that he was a missed opportunity.

QuoteThe grimmer Realpolitik era book was quite nice, as was 86ers, but I've never read Tor Cyan or Friday stories.  I hear they're a mixed bag.
The Fr1day Rogue is pretty much a waste of time from start to finish. The original War Machine is solid, if gloomy. It'd be a pity of that was omitted from the Ultimate Collection though (lovely art). After that point, the strip went down at speed, and appeared to be taking place in multiple realities (John Smiths being far more crazy and violent – but at least interesting). It all went pear-shaped when they [spoiler]added back the biochips[/spoiler], and then tried to [spoiler]merge the continuities of the various Rogue Trooper strips[/spoiler], which barely made sense. [spoiler]Tor Cyan tried to put a lid on that mess, before editorial presumably cut its losses and just went for flashbacks[/spoiler].

Personally, I'd like to see more of the IDW run, but there you go.