Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

Cheers, Moogie. Much appreciated!

TordelBack

Ah voting, I still enjoy it. You don't know what you're missing Sharky!

Despite an uttetly beautiful morning in Dublin , turnout so far looks pitiful. At 830 the missus and I were the only people there, and the first people to vote from our subdivision: you could even hear the pages of the register hadn't been turned yet. Looks like a Saturday poll was a good move for capitalising on inertia.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 February, 2020, 08:52:32 AM
Ah voting, I still enjoy it. You don't know what you're missing Sharky!

Despite an uttetly beautiful morning in Dublin , turnout so far looks pitiful. At 830 the missus and I were the only people there, and the first people to vote from our subdivision: you could even hear the pages of the register hadn't been turned yet. Looks like a Saturday poll was a good move for capitalising on inertia.

And thus the Civil War continues, not with a bang but a whimper.  I'm off straight after my fuel delivery to vote for a party that isn't one of the big identical two, for all the good it will do: Weird that I never see many blind, deaf, wealthy amnesiacs around normally, but they seem to make up the largest part of the electorate.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

Yep, went and did my Democratic duty too, today, despite being currently fecked with a potential ulcer or something like it. To my surprise, there seemed to be a steady enough stream of voters going in - or at least more so than usual, if memory serves me correctly. With any luck, it might indicate a surge against the two current centre-right parties, aka Two Cheeks of the same Arse.

We can only live in Hope.

TordelBack

What's interesting this time out is that it's clear SF and the Greens could have caused serious upset to the udual suspects if they'd run more candidates. The seemingly endless parade of FF and FG on my ballot paper demonstrates the advantages of a long political history in an PR-STV multi-seat system.

Professor Bear

Now Ireland is going to the left, Irish boarders can look forward to their media amplifying the far right even more than usual.  Welcome to the club, fellas.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Professor Bear on 08 February, 2020, 06:21:11 PM
Now Ireland is going to the left, Irish boarders can look forward to their media amplifying the far right even more than usual.  Welcome to the club, fellas.

Ireland's going to the left? Are you quite sure?  I've never known us to be anything other than varying degrees of right and I doubt that's going to change, whether or not there's a few more Green or SF votes.  Nevertheless, your far right predictions are already gathering momentum fast, don't you worry about that.

Anyway, I'm just out of the polling station.  My vote is going to make about as much difference as running into the Australian Bush with a fire extinguisher, I know, but someone's got to stand against the Civil War parties.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 February, 2020, 01:56:03 PM
What's interesting this time out is that it's clear SF and the Greens could have caused serious upset to the udual suspects if they'd run more candidates.

I think less candidates worked in their favour: they became more attractive because voting for them was less of a risk.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 February, 2020, 07:26:05 PM

...My vote is going to make about as much difference as running into the Australian Bush with a fire extinguisher..

*manlily holds back a manly tear and sniffs manlily*

I'm so proud.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I was expecting this.  I believe not voting is no better than total apathy. Please don't patronise me.

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 February, 2020, 07:52:23 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 February, 2020, 07:26:05 PM

...My vote is going to make about as much difference as running into the Australian Bush with a fire extinguisher..

*manlily holds back a manly tear and sniffs manlily*

I'm so proud.

Point. Missed.

He voted.

I have only ever had voting rights in safe seats, blue and red, so my individual vote was never going to change any result, but you've still got to do it to show that there's x-percentage of the constituency who don't agree.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 February, 2020, 07:41:11 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 08 February, 2020, 01:56:03 PM
What's interesting this time out is that it's clear SF and the Greens could have caused serious upset to the udual suspects if they'd run more candidates.

I think less candidates worked in their favour: they became more attractive because voting for them was less of a risk.

Mmm, good point!

The Legendary Shark

It's just a joke, J.B.C. I thought it would go down better than one of my rants. Ahem. Anyway, no offence was given or intended.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 February, 2020, 08:20:43 PM
It's just a joke, J.B.C. I thought it would go down better than one of my rants. Ahem. Anyway, no offence was given or intended.

Intended, maybe not, but given, I'm afraid so.  Few things get my goat more than strawmanning, whether it's me  arguing or somebody else.

But... you said it was a joke, and you're nothing if not honest, so I believe you and will say no more about it.

Professor Bear

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 February, 2020, 07:26:05 PMIreland's going to the left? Are you quite sure?

Relatively so what with FG/FF being various degrees of right-wing, but marriage equality and abortion rights were all but unthinkable a decade ago, even if they were well-overdue.