Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Thanks! Yeah everyone post your Spinnies here if you want to!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

WhizzBang

As with the lasty Spinnies, I am reading along with the podcast and so can only judge the latter part of the year through the covers and my very distant memory of those progs.

Best Writer: John Wagner/Alan Grant
Best Story: Nemesis Book IV
Best Art: Cam Kennedy for Super Surf - especially shooting the O of the Okey Dokey Man
Best Month: July
Biggest improvement: Halo Jones Book 2.

Eamonn Clarke

Best writer: Alan Moore
Best artist: Carlos for the Slavers of Drule
Top thrill: Halo Jones
Best month: February

Great work from Conrad, Fox and all the guest hosts.

Huey2

Top writer: Wagner/ Grant
Top artist: Belardinelli
Top thrill: Ace Trucking - the most underrated of all 2000ad strips. Fantastic stories totally driven by the characters. And that ending! - one of the top moments of the past 40+ years.
Top month: October

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and thirty-fifth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 431-434 of 2000AD, covering August and September of 1985. This week Dredd fights Nosferatu (WRITE HIS NAME IN BLOOD), Rogue gets the antigen, Johnny Alpha takes down the Slavers of Drule, and Ace takes the croakside trip! The fall relaunch is coming, all storylines must end!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

And thanks for all the Spinny nominations! There's a few for days to get them in! Also if you have any tops for what we covered in 2018 (basically 1982 to 1985) I'd love to hear them!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

shaolin_monkey

Loved the reference to kids stuffing their pockets with rocks and holding their breath under water!  This really spoke to me - I was that kid!

When I was 13 or so I went to the bottom of a 12 foot swimming pool, and decided to let air out of my lungs to see if I could stay down there longer.  I almost stayed there permanently!  When I realised my error I kicked up and just managed to grab the bottom rung of the ladder and haul myself out.

Also, they should make one of those kid safety films about not stuffing a forklift palette with polystyrene and using it as a raft on the Water of Leith while wearing a heavy duffel coat and wellies. I almost came a cropper then too, when the polystyrene started escaping from underneath, and the palette flipped me over into the deepest part of that river.  Friends watching on the bank had to wade in and haul me out.

I could list so many other stupid things I did as a child. I am the poster boy of those films.  It's a wonder I made it into adulthood to be honest.

Steve Green

I wondered where they got the inspiration for Blake Edmonds in Death Wish from.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 November, 2018, 09:39:13 AM
I wondered where they got the inspiration for Blake Edmonds in Death Wish from.

I have the looks too!   :lol:

shaolin_monkey

PS - my record for holding my breath underwater was 2 mins 59 seconds.  I never could crack that 3 minute mark.

Funt Solo

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'm right.

Top writer: Alan Moore (for The Ballad of Halo Jones, Book II)
Sequels are difficult to do well, but here Halo's universe expands.  The Rat King, the Glyph, Toby's motives, the dance with Lux Roth Chop, the dolphins.  It's all just so fucking good.

Top artist: Glenn Fabry (for his work on Time Killer)
Fabry seemed to be at the top of his game here, with amazing dynamic combat scenes in the arena, and a brand new look for Slaine. 

Top thrill: Judge Dredd - Midnight Surfer
Chopper was last seen as King Scrawler (from Unamerican Graffiti in 1981).  What crazed genius set him on a power board four years later?  It's top notch thrills from the best Dredd writer - the man with the plan - Mr John Wagner himself, and a real treat of art from Cam "Best Hoppers" Kennedy, showing us how to shoot the 'O' in style.

Honorable mentions:
Nemesis Book V: The Vengeance of Thoth by Pat Mills and Bryan Talbot.  Crazy time-traveling soap opera antics with perhaps the two weirdest families in the galaxy and a crazed pet tyrannosaur.

Anderson Psi-Division: Four Dark Judges.  The return of the best supernatural threat ever to darken the doors of Justice Department, and Anderson stepping up for her own series.  Top notch thrillage, smudged slightly by the need for three artists.  Let the dead fluidsss flow!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and thirty-sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 435-438 of 2000AD, covering September and October of 1985. This week Dredd deals with murder-bots and the start of a conspiracy, Nemesis and Robot-Hunter return, and we get to know the Mean Team! Oh, and Tharg is back in the comics.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Please let me know what you think of the episode, and thanks everyone for your Spinnies nominations! The nominations are now closed.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred thirty-seventh episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1986 2000AD Annual. This is the ninth 2000AD annual and we're seeing a great combination of new stories and classic thrills in these pages. The highlights of this year's annual include an abridged version of classic thrill Shako, and the iconic Apocalypse War Dredd comic strip!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad for all your hard work! This is the best podcast out there.

I am still reading along with the show and The Mean Team is better than I remember it. I am wondering if I just confused it with Mean Arena in my memory or whether it goes drastically downhill.

sheridan

Quote from: WhizzBang on 06 December, 2018, 08:06:26 PM
Thanks Conrad for all your hard work! This is the best podcast out there.

I am still reading along with the show and The Mean Team is better than I remember it. I am wondering if I just confused it with Mean Arena in my memory or whether it goes drastically downhill.

Mean Team gets a bad press (not least from the editorial staff of 2000AD about a decade later, sadly), but I always love an excuse to showcase Belardinelli's imagination.

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 28 November, 2018, 03:21:34 AM
Top artist: Glenn Fabry (for his work on Time Killer)
Fabry seemed to be at the top of his game here, with amazing dynamic combat scenes in the arena, and a brand new look for Slaine. 

It is good, but gets better for [spoiler]Sláine the King[/spoiler] (spoilered because there's at least on person who might read this who won't know about future developments).