Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion  (Read 3059 times)

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion
« Reply #165 on: 18 October, 2018, 01:59:37 pm »
Yeah,  I felt the same way about the McGann movie: the Tardis interior was the best thing about it, even the establishing shots of McCoy reading.  As a kid I was always fascinated by the idea that there were maybe infinite unseen rooms,  but deeply frustrated that we got to see so little. Even the costume room was a thrill. Otherwise it was "bigger on the inside - but not much bigger".

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
« Reply #166 on: 18 October, 2018, 02:04:03 pm »
I remember watching that movie on Netflix fairly recently, with the thinking: surely, it can't be as bad as I remembered it being? Turns out, it can be. The regeneration is handled amusingly (Americans nearly killing The Doctor), and McGann himself was pretty good, as was some of the production design. Otherwise: urgh.

I'd definitely be up for another McGan appearance somehow, though, if they want to do a multiple Doctors thing again. It was great when he showed up in Night of the Doctor.

Andy Lambert

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 18 October, 2018, 02:22:20 pm »
Was this not simply a by-product of the way many studio scenes were shot…?

Rather than multiple takes for wide, close-up and reaction, they would simply stick three or more cameras on set and shoot once, with one camera taking in the wide, another for Doctor close-ups, a third for Companion #1, and so on. Of necessity, this meant the lighting had to be as flat and bland as possible to work with multiple cameras shooting simultaneously from different angles.

That could well be the case, but it's a criticism often aimed at Doctor Who of the time, and the previous decades seem to manage more effective lighting allowing for greater depth and atmosphere. I don't know how well you know your Doctor Who, but if you compare the jungle set of 1975's "Planet Of Evil" to say, 1982's "Kinda", the difference is very noticable. "Kinda" looks exactly what it is - a studio set dressed up to look like a jungle.

Does anyone remember the Baker episode when they were being chased around the endless passageways of the TARDIS? I loved that storyline, and always feel the true hugeness of the TARDIS interior has never really had a script befitting it.

That would be "The Invasion Of Time" from 1978. The production team ran out of money on that one and couldn't afford to build new sets so filmed the TARDIS interiors in a disused hospital.

JamesC

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 18 October, 2018, 02:26:05 pm »
Didn't Peter Davidson unravel Baker's long scarf as a way of finding his way around the Tardis? I think that's the first time I realised there was more to it than just the control room.

Andy Lambert

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 18 October, 2018, 02:28:20 pm »
Didn't Peter Davidson unravel Baker's long scarf as a way of finding his way around the Tardis? I think that's the first time I realised there was more to it than just the control room.

He did indeed.

Taryn Tailz

• Prog Stacking Droid
  • "Goth N Roll"
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 18 October, 2018, 06:47:12 pm »
The TARDIS interior and Paul McGann were pretty much the only good things about the TV Movie. I do still kind of consider the TV Movie interior to be my favourite of them all.

von Boom

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 18 October, 2018, 06:58:29 pm »
The TARDIS interior and Paul McGann were pretty much the only good things about the TV Movie. I do still kind of consider the TV Movie interior to be my favourite of them all.
The TV movie was wretched, but I could quite happily live in that TARDIS interior. And with Paul McGann.

Steve Green

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 18 October, 2018, 07:21:13 pm »
I think he had a point, given how overlit the studios were at the time.

Was this not simply a by-product of the way many studio scenes were shot…?

Rather than multiple takes for wide, close-up and reaction, they would simply stick three or more cameras on set and shoot once, with one camera taking in the wide, another for Doctor close-ups, a third for Companion #1, and so on. Of necessity, this meant the lighting had to be as flat and bland as possible to work with multiple cameras shooting simultaneously from different angles.

From what I recall, pretty much like that.

From what I've read Caves of Androzani was shot much more like a regular film was, and is well-regarded but was an exception.