Main Menu

Critique of 'Rules to be read before you end up dead '

Started by Dog Deever, 27 July, 2009, 10:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

It might be a good idea.  Personally I'd be more for the art and writing competitions to have their own section (along with the voting threads).

I can never bring myself to submit an idea, but I keep having loads and I love the creativity of the boarders here.  It'd be good to give them all a home where they can be easily found.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

LARF

Yeah, I would agree with that as well - easier to fins as the general section fills up quite a lot...

Emperor

Quote from: mikegloady on 21 August, 2009, 03:52:11 PM
It might be a good idea.  Personally I'd be more for the art and writing competitions to have their own section (along with the voting threads).

Moving the threads here could be a step on the road to them having their own dedicated forum - it would certainly help stop the threads getting drowned in a host of threads in the more general forums.

I would recommend speaking to Jim to see if he had any thoughts or plans for the competition as he is the one currently running these and he has a better overview of the situation.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Emperor on 21 August, 2009, 04:05:40 PM

I would recommend speaking to Jim to see if he had any thoughts or plans for the competition as he is the one currently running these and he has a better overview of the situation.

FWIW, I only stuck the Art Comp where it is because I couldn't think of anywhere better for it -- and I think that was where Amstor had it before me -- and I invited suggestions for a more appropriate forum, but none were forthcoming.

If we now have a more appropriate section for it, then I'm happy to move the Compo there.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Kerrin

The short story comp can go wherever people think best. As long as people write stories and VOTE I don't mind.

By the way there's a link below if you would like to read some excellent short (and they are short) stories from your fellow boarders and have a vote.....nudge nudge.

VinceBot

How do you guys usually run the competitions? Has anyone assumed the duties for posting competition threads or is it just a kind of as-and-when deal, whoever fancies putting one up?

Do you think there are enough competition threads to warrant a subforum? I haven't see that many threads thus far - would the be better off as stickies in this forum?

Emperor

Quote from: VinceBot on 22 August, 2009, 03:18:08 PMDo you think there are enough competition threads to warrant a subforum? I haven't see that many threads thus far - would the be better off as stickies in this forum?

What it might be worth doing is collecting the various threads together in this forum, which will give a good idea of how many there are and they won't get lost in the general forum. You can then decide if a sub-forum was a good idea and if it was then they could easily be rounded up and moved.

My concern about a sub-forum is that the active threads can get buried (although I'm not sure how SMF does them but I don't think they show on the main page but it has been a while since I checked). I think your suggestion of stickying the current active threads is a good solution, for now.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

VinceBot

Quote from: Emperor on 22 August, 2009, 04:01:03 PM
What it might be worth doing is collecting the various threads together in this forum, which will give a good idea of how many there are and they won't get lost in the general forum.

Hm, see now that makes me wonder if moving competitions here at all is a good idea - I mean sure you'll be able to find them if they're in CC or their own subforum, but they won't get the exposure they normally would in General.

Certainly whole composing the competition entries it would make sense to post a thread here, but once composted the actual voting should probably happen in General.

Quote from: Emperor on 22 August, 2009, 04:01:03 PM
My concern about a sub-forum is that the active threads can get buried (although I'm not sure how SMF does them but I don't think they show on the main page but it has been a while since I checked). I think your suggestion of stickying the current active threads is a good solution, for now.

This is true, SMF is like any other forum were active topics (those recently posted in) are bumped to the top, and ones with few replys descend off the bottom into the abyss.

Perhaps the solution is to sticky them in General for their active duration, though this would require some pro-active moderation I can't afford to do.

Again, who normally composes competitions? Is any one person in charge, is it ad-hoc whoever feels like doing one..?

Emperor

Quote from: VinceBot on 22 August, 2009, 04:40:32 PMAgain, who normally composes competitions? Is any one person in charge, is it ad-hoc whoever feels like doing one..?

No the art competitions have been run by Jim Campbell recently. The SMF admin allows you to give permissions out individually so you could give him the powers to make posts sticky (urmmm) if that was the direction you wanted to go in.

VinceBot

Thats pretty much what I was thinking, because it would allow you guys to sort these threads out by yourselves.

Kerrin

Jim and myself were sorting out the respective competition threads by ourselves as far as I was aware.
Having one comp in one place, one in another and separating entry and voting threads is just going to confuse the shit out of people and piss them off.

Mike Gloady

I'm with Kerrin on this.  He and Jim do an excellent job and the compos really add a little something to the forum so while there might not be MANY threads I do think it deserves a little subforum - entires and voting together.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Emperor

Quote from: Kerrin on 23 August, 2009, 11:27:05 AM
Jim and myself were sorting out the respective competition threads by ourselves as far as I was aware.
Having one comp in one place, one in another and separating entry and voting threads is just going to confuse the shit out of people and piss them off.

Righto. Then the solutions are:

• Have it in this forum
  • Create a new forum for them

Personally I think they'll be just fine here (if you and Jim are given sticky powers it will also mean less hassle for the mods) and I'd be worried that a sub-forum might reduce the attention they get.

Kerrin

I don't know what Jim thinks but I'd be happy with either of those solutions just so long as people know where to find the comps.

If I had to choose one of them I would personally go for a competitions and challenges sub-forum. That way when someone comes up with a new competition or challenge of some sort you're not going to end up with top of "Creative Common" covered in stickied threads.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Kerrin on 23 August, 2009, 04:21:00 PM

If I had to choose one of them I would personally go for a competitions and challenges sub-forum. That way when someone comes up with a new competition or challenge of some sort you're not going to end up with top of "Creative Common" covered in stickied threads.

I think that would probably get my vote, TBH.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.