Main Menu

Critique of 'Rules to be read before you end up dead '

Started by Dog Deever, 27 July, 2009, 10:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Deever

QuoteDon't strart crying your eyes out because your work isn't accepted as a masterpiece from day one.

Spell 'start' right, you cnut!

QuoteIf you need to steal someone elses work for you to feel an ounce of self-worth on a no-name forum on the internet, you need more help than we can offer.

Heh! This is a great line.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Mike Gloady

It really is, isn't it?

Cnut?  I didn't realise being Danish royalty was now an insult. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

DavidXBrunt

I got banned from the JBF for comparing Our Host to Cnut...

VinceBot

Fixed! Now don't you look silly.

Actually, this would be a good place to suggest any additional rules for eventualities I might have missed.

TordelBack

QuoteI got banned from the JBF for comparing Our Host to Cnut...

Good job you weren't posting on the Danish Monarchy forum!

Dog Deever

Kev Levell

Quote from: VinceBot on 27 July, 2009, 11:10:48 PM
Actually, this would be a good place to suggest any additional rules for eventualities I might have missed.

If I may be so bold:

You are not going to get hired via this forum. This is not a recruiting zone endorsed by 2000AD or Rebellion. Posting your work here does not qualify as a submission to 2000AD, although you will find details of how best to do that here.

And also perhaps something like:

When you post work:

• Keep uploaded images as small as possible, or provide a link to a larger file hosted elsewhere.
  • Provide links to your blog, website etc. - someone looking at your work might want to investigate further.
  • Try to use English in it's traditional form, not everyone will know what your cryptic text abbreviations mean.
  • Don't be surprised if your topic isn't immediately swamped with replies.

I hope these comments/suggestions don't get me flayed alive for being a pretentious git.

Emperor

Those are all good points worth emphasising.

There are also potential problems with script writing critiques, as people would be unwise to post lengthy excerpts from their Big Idea before getting it published. If you this and someone publishes something similar then there is very little you can do (apart from learn a valuable lesson).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

VinceBot

Quote from: KevLev on 29 July, 2009, 09:37:50 AM
You are not going to get hired via this forum. This is not a recruiting zone endorsed by 2000AD or Rebellion. Posting your work here does not qualify as a submission to 2000AD, although you will find details of how best to do that here.

Modified and added.

Keep uploaded images as small as possible, or provide a link to a larger file hosted elsewhere.

Added a cap on the image size - 670 is all this theme will take before breaking the tables, so added that. Anyone got a list of good image hosts?

Don't be surprised if your topic isn't immediately swamped with replies.

Modified and added.

Quote from: Emperor on 29 July, 2009, 02:08:43 PM
There are also potential problems with script writing critiques, as people would be unwise to post lengthy excerpts from their Big Idea before getting it published. If you this and someone publishes something similar then there is very little you can do (apart from learn a valuable lesson).

Modified and added.

Bouwel

Anyone got a list of good image hosts?

I've always used Photobucket for everything I post here. Seems to be stable and I get no hassle email from them.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Emperor

tinypic.com, you don't need an account - just upload the image, grab the BB Code and throw it in. It does make it tricky to keep track of all your uploaded images (for that use something like Photobucket) but for quick and dirty image uploading it can't be beaten.

If you have a Gmail/Google account then just going to Picasa seems to get you straight into your image account (although I haven't actually used it) which is quick and easy:

http://picasaweb.google.com/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Kev Levell

I think Flickr is brilliant place to host images if you don't have a blog/google account already.
I would advise this for anyone starting out afresh because it will allow you to link to a variety of sizes of image... 75x75, 100x71, 240x170, 500x354 and 782x553. It also has a lovely little feature that writes some nice code for you to copy and paste into your posting. Admittedly - I don't know if photobucket or any of the others do this. If you are going to blog, you might find flickr unnecessary, as pointed out by Emperor, you get the Picasa album anyway.

Emperor

Quote from: KevLev on 30 July, 2009, 11:27:03 AMIf you are going to blog, you might find flickr unnecessary, as pointed out by Emperor, you get the Picasa album anyway.

I had a bit more of a nose around that. If you are blogging on Blogger/Blogspot then your uploaded images are automatically part of your Picasa account - it just provides and easier way of uploading and managing images. You also seem to be able to tag your pictures so folks could add "2000 AD art competition June 2009" or some such and it could help bring the entries together. Now reason this couldn't be doubled up on Flickr.

Dog Deever

Gee whizz- this sub forum has certainly grown legs!
Been a while since I had a look as I assumed it would take a while to generate content. How wrong was I?
Goes to show how much it was needed though. Fantastic work and great ideas from everyone.

Wake

Do you think that the monthly art comps would be best placed here?