Main Menu

Noel Clarke

Started by sheridan, 02 June, 2020, 01:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 June, 2020, 10:44:09 PM
And you could just have a current character that hasn't historically been portrayed as black be portrayed by a black actor.

Right off the bat you've got Dredd - I might be getting my wires crossed, but wasn't he drawn as black by McMahon originally? Anyway - it's not as if his ethnicity is central to the character.
I gather that Ezquerra's assumptions when creating the character was 'New York cop' = black guy (I'm completely paraphrasing here) but also that he'd read that in the future there would be a lot more people of mixed race, so Dredd could have partial black ancestry.  Being hired to copy Ezquerra's style, McMahon picked up on this but was the only person to do so (maybe Belardinelli did as well).

Quote- Finn.
Don't forget that Finn was introduced as merely a supporting character in Eve's story.

Quote- Luke Kirby

I can't see Luke Kirby working in 1950s Britain as a black kid without the tone of the strip changing substantially - particularly when going to a sleepy country village.

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 02 June, 2020, 10:51:29 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 June, 2020, 10:44:09 PM
- Finn.
Don't forget that Finn was introduced as merely a supporting character in Eve's story.

Aieee! Now I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't think outside of the 2000 AD box on that one. You're quite right. Third World War would actually be a great story. Boris's Britain, unfortunately, not that far from Thatcher's Britain.

Quote from: sheridan on 02 June, 2020, 10:51:29 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 June, 2020, 10:44:09 PM- Luke Kirby
I can't see Luke Kirby working in 1950s Britain as a black kid without the tone of the strip changing substantially - particularly when going to a sleepy country village.

I think it would need modernized.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Monarch

why do we not have a very dark comedy tv show of sinister dexter yet? hell the premise alone works for a hit of the week scenario

AlexF

Who would you cast? Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta, perhaps?  :P

Also many thanks Sheridan for finding some more holes for me to fill in that blog!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Funt Solo on 03 June, 2020, 01:23:49 AMI think it would need modernized.
Isn't the point of Kirby that it is a period piece? It's The Wonder Years meets Harry Potter. Then again, given the shit BAME kids go through, a black Luke in some middle of nowhere village could still work as a premise, without losing too much of what made the original great. Mind you, I suspect at that point McKenzie would kick off about rights and such again.

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 June, 2020, 10:20:23 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 03 June, 2020, 01:23:49 AMI think it would need modernized.
Isn't the point of Kirby that it is a period piece? It's The Wonder Years meets Harry Potter. Then again, given the shit BAME kids go through, a black Luke in some middle of nowhere village could still work as a premise, without losing too much of what made the original great. Mind you, I suspect at that point McKenzie would kick off about rights and such again.

Always seemed dodgy to me that the editor of 2000AD apparently gave himself rights over characters he was writing for the comic when they weren't available to other creators - I wonder if he paid himself the same amount as those who weren't (allegedly) retaining right?

M.I.K.

Then again, given the shit BAME kids go through, a black Luke in some middle of nowhere village could still work as a premise, without losing too much of what made the original great.

Worked just fine for Worzel Gummidge.

pauljholden

Actually think a black Luke Kirby would be a wonderful idea - marrying modern world to ancient english folklore and magic.

-pj

Bolt-01

Yup - I agree. I could see that being a big hit.

norton canes

Can't help but think we're missing an elephant in the room here...

Ghost MacRoth

Don't think he's got the physical presence to pull that off, and if we had to go down the CG road, you start ramping up costs and then the budget runs off and hides in a corner.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

norton canes

Did he say he wanted to star as the title character though? If he wanted to be in it there are plenty of other roles.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: norton canes on 03 June, 2020, 03:33:57 PM
Did he say he wanted to star as the title character though? If he wanted to be in it there are plenty of other roles.

Fair point, think he's generally happy to take a lesser role if he's also directing, so guess it could work.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

JayzusB.Christ

Totally agree - the first one had a serious tinge of - well, I believe there's a Portuguese word for a type of nostalgia for something you've never experienced personally, so that.  Can't see any reason why Luke shouldn't be black, but I can see every reason why he shouldn't be in his mid-40s.

I recently binge-watched Auf Wiedersehn Pet; Clarkey does a great job as the late Wayne's young lad.  Every bit the smug lady's man his TV dad was, with the advantage of not looking exactly like Ronnie Wood.

The game Cluedo, by the way, should have remained a period piece too. Playing as a kid, i could suspend my disbelief and imagine I was walking round a dusty mansion in the 1920s.  Nowadays you can only buy a modern version where the house has a jacuzzi or something and all the characters are young secret agent types.  Break your bleedin' heart.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

judgeurko

Quote from: sheridan on 02 June, 2020, 01:32:57 PM
You may know Noel Clarke from such TV shows as Doctor Who and variously writing, acting, directing Kidulthood, Adulthood, Brotherhood, Bulletproof, 4,3,2,1, Fishermen's Friends.

Now he's interested in working with 2000AD...

Twitter

Quote from: NoelClarkeI want my company
@UnstoppableLtd to have rights, for a chance to make a show with a current or new 2000AD black character. We are established and real and can develop the show with you. how's that?
Well that ain't gonna happen now.