Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

Vinegar Teeth - weird and pulpy and weird and impressive without ever being weird and great. One of those confounding comics where the art is super-impressive without being maybe your thing and the story is fun without ever being gripping or compelling. But plus 10 points for the weird.

Stray Bullets - still the best comic out there by a country mile. Still clearly criminally ignored.

Dry County - am a sucker for Rich Tomasso stuff even if this particular Elmore Leonord style story pales when read alongside the similar but superior Stray Bullets.

Peek-A-Boo - Who would have thought that Zenescope managed to put out a non-explotitative competent horror story thats the nearest thing to a 70s  british kids comic in terms of art and content. Simple well done horror comic fun.

Coda - simon spurrier - i'd think the yanks apprecaite you Simon. I think you should come back to 2000AD and bring this sort of thing with you. I mean i've zero interest in the genre (tolkienien style fantasy) and still you make it all so enjoyable who'd love love it. Apart from the yanks. The yanks don't get you Simon. Too clever by half for em.

Death or Glory - looked lovely (bengal) junk story (remender). Meh.
likewise
Oblivion Song - looked lovely (De Felici) junk story (kirkman). Sigh
better than
VS - looked errr (great line art, terrible overwhelming computer colouring) junk story (its Harlem heroes but not as well told).

and ooooh-errrr missus award goes to...

The Perineum Technique - which is a hugely enjoyable bit of french ennui about an artist obsesed with sex. Bit indulgent but interesting without ever wandering off into exploitation zone.

where sits...

Barbarella (2018 series) - which is a lovely piece of licensed nonsense that actually manages to be very light on the sex / skimpy-ness and more on the fun / love beats hate scale. Sorta surprised me how much i enjoyed it.

but not as much as the fun in Cochlea & Eustachia which can only be described as Frank meets Manara. Utterly beautiful in its line art and weird in its story-telling. If Stray Bullets wasn't so damm good it would be my comic of the year so far.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Adventurer

Quote from: BPPVS - looked errr (great line art, terrible overwhelming computer colouring) junk story (its Harlem heroes but not as well told).

Thank you, I've been trying to articulate this for a while. Amaziballz artwork (would fit right into 2000AD or any Euro Comic really), but its story of 'war as sport' is just... all over the place.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I, Cosh

Quote from: BPP on 03 June, 2018, 10:45:36 PM
Coda - simon spurrier - i'd think the yanks apprecaite you Simon. I think you should come back to 2000AD and bring this sort of thing with you. I mean i've zero interest in the genre (tolkienien style fantasy) and still you make it all so enjoyable who'd love love it. Apart from the yanks. The yanks don't get you Simon. Too clever by half for em.
Cheers for pointing this one out. Spurrier seems to bang out these mini-series by the gallon and I normally only notice them on Comixology when the fourth issue pops up. This was a pretty dense set up issue which I think will benefit from a reread. Never heard of the artist, Matias Bergara, before but there's colour and wildness about his stuff here which I find very appealing.

The only other thing I've been reading lately is Motherlands. A mini-series by Simon Spurrier and Rachel Stott. It's Dogg the dimension-jumping bounty hunter and things are about to wrap up with a shocking revelation on the last page of #5.
We never really die.

Greg M.

Been reading Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk. Not bad at all - others have observed a certain similarity to the Bruce Jones run, what with Ewing's Banner being an itinerant haunter of lonely diners along US highways. Feels somewhat less arch and potentially more weighty than some of the writer's previous Marvel work.

Jim_Campbell

Slightly surprised no one seems to be reading Michael Moreci and Hayden Sherman's Wasted Space from Vault.

Yes, yes, I'm lettering it, but I would have thought it would be right up many 2000AD readers' street... Moreci loves him some sci-fi (see: Roche Limit) and this is big ol' high concept stuff. Billy Bane, a galactic-scale version of Billy Graham, "voice of the Creator" gave the Creator's divine endorsement to a galactic-scale Trump figure, propelling him to power, which immediately results in a despotic regime and wars all over the place. A lot of people, including Billy himself, blame Billy for this so he's gone into hiding but wheels are in motion and the fate of the galaxy might have more to do with him than he'd like. Plus, y'know, a whole bunch of people and things wanting to kill him.

I can see Sherman's art (which I can only inadequately describe as the scratchy bastard offspring of Howard Chaykin and Ted McKeever) not being to everyone's taste but it's a meaty old read. Plus, Chewbacca to Bane's Solo is a bright blue robot gigolo (or Fuqbot) called Dust. Special guest appearance by Philip K. Dick in the first issue, too.

Give it a go!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tombo

I'm reading it, or at least I've read the 1st issue, just waiting on the next one.  I'm enjoying it and it'll be interesting to see where the story goes.  Like the art to.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Apestrife

Milk wars: Fun -so called un-event. DC's big 3 gets infected with (over)selling milk and characters from the young animal books battles the big company Retconn in order to fix things. Fun and weird little book. Has everything from Cave Carson puking up swamp thing, a fold out page to showcase Flex Mentallo's muscle powers to Doom patrol's Rita Farr being rescued back into continuity. I really love how colourful it is.

Batman in the fifties: A showcase of golden age Batman. Everything from the bat family to villains. Great book to read before Morrison's batgod run or Miller's DK. Explains a lot, with very informative info pages between issues, and is a bunch of fun to read overall.

Hellboy collected short stories vol. 1: First of two volumes with the collected (in a chronological order) Hellboy shorts penned by Mike Magnolia. Starts of brilliantly with Pancakes, and has everything from Hellboy wrestling frankenstein -during the drunk in mexico period) to The corpse. Lovely lovely collection! Can't wait for the rest of the hellboy omnibus books (6 in total)! :)

Colin YNWA

Yay comics, mine ain't at all bad
Take a sad tale and make it better
Remember to let them into your heart
And if you read the same as me you'll be better

Yay comics, don't be afraid
You should just pop out and get some
The good ones, they'll get right under your skin
Them good one's will make you better

GOOOODDDDD haul this time. The good uns do it right and the one's struggling all seem to peck up a notch.

Prime example Paper Girls 21 is the best issue of this series for a wee while, possibly the break (inbetween arcs) has done us the world of good, but this made me remember why I loved this series in the first place. Mage 9 also sees a series return and my this is a great series and this comic has a few really fine moments, so high is the standard this month its actually not a highlight... well it is but not a highlight highlight. Neither is The Weather Man 1 but its a bloody compelling opener and I'm really excited to see how this one develops from this loaded and exciting start. And neither is Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 31 which interrupts this series return to form with a stilted and forced no smoking issue... still next issue looks good.

The next 4 issues however are just superb. Copperhead 19 returns for its (weep) final arc BUT by all that's sci-fi this is brilliant. As is Resident Alien - An Alien in New York 3 which is just a quiet piece of genius, it really has a fresh lo-fi tone that set it aside. Its the glorious execution that brings it home though. To be honest the only reason its not book if the haul is its back next month to claim that.

So book of the haul goes to one of the conclusions and I've decided not to go for Doctor Star 4 with it powerful emotional, I mean really powerful and emotional ending, if this doesn't move you I don't know what will. Rather I'll go with Mark Russell's move complex, but not less moving and powerful Snagglepuss 6. Just sublime.

Colin YNWA

If I had some comics
I'd read in the morning
I'd read in the evening
All of them are grand

Oh so true this haul they are ALL grand, so the only real question is which is grandest. The most piano of the bunch?

Well its not Planet of the Apes Ursus 6 which just ends this series really really well, not magnificently.

Its not Black Hammer - Age of Doom 3 which is merely brilliant, nor Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 32 which is just immensely, astonishingly good fun, I think this is going to be one of the blindin' arcs this one.

Nor is it Kill or be Killed 20.... though it very probably should be seeing as this does end this superb series magnificently. No the only reason its not this is I fancy giving it to an opening rather than a closing and so for that reason alone, well that and its FUCKIN' GRAND I give it to Shanghai Red 1 by George that's an opening that both packs a punch, covers an incredible amount of ground and opens up a story simply magnificently.

Colin YNWA

In honour of The Breeders who I saw last night

We read comics once
So good my head exploded
Imagine my head like the Big Bang did
These new comics
I Knew they were loaded
Read um  'cause these comics ain't never comin' down
I just want you to read along
I just want you to read along

I've covered Immortal Hulk 2 elsewhere - its pretty good but not without problems.

Speaking of Elsewhere and and problems issue 8 has two main ones... firstly its the last bloody issue, which I wasn't expecting, alas sales ain't enough. Secondly it therefore rushes to a conclusion in a way that suggests what might have happened if the series had had more time. So its rather a unsatisfying tease. Such a shame.

Judge Dredd Under Seige 2 is probably being discussed elsehwere too but here will have to do. Its very good and writer Mark Russell is very smart and that's all you need to know.

Paper Girls 22 is another much improved issue and I want to find time to re-read this now to see if the middle period lull was more me than it!

Black Hammer - The Quantum Age 1 is very good, but while its immense fun I do want these Black Hammer spin offs to offer more than very entertaining analogues. They have to date so I'm sure this one will too. Just not really in the first issue.

Two more comics that will be ending soon - I worry for my standing order, its whithering.... anyway Resident Alien - An Alien in New York 4 ends excellently, even if one of its key themes I'm not sure I like... though that might be my mis-reading - regardless its a superb piece of craft. Alas it comes with the news that the next mini will be the last.

Hillbilly 11 therefore gets book of the haul. Not only is it absolutely superb, as they rest of the series has been, it actually has good news. See we know this series is ending next issue BUT I hadn't realised there will be a follow-up mini starting immediately after. WAYHEY... so while other comics might have been as good as this mini-masterpiece none had news that good!

Daveycandlish

Resident Alien is utterly fantastic. I recommend it to everyone
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Tjm86

Relay issue 0 (FCBD) / 1 - Zac Thompson / Andy Clarke (of tooth fame) not entirely sure how I landed this but tried the FCBD and enjoyed it enough to give it a punt. All a bit vague and mysterious.  Lot of ideas floating around and not completely clear on where it is going but intriguing enough to give it a go.  Clarke's crisp, clean art definitely helps.

Issue 0 is very much a vignette, laying out some of the core ideas.  Issue 1 -  dense dialogue interspersed with action scenes.  Juxtaposed thought / faith systems are foregrounded.  This seems very much the central idea for this series.  Certainly one of the more thought provoking offerings of late and would not have been out of place in the Tooth or the Meg.

Proudhuff

Anyone else enjoying Garth Ennis' A walk through hell?

Nice change of pace for him and scary without being macabre, if you can call blowing your own brains out over and over, eating your own arm and pedo mass murderers not macabre :-\ :-X 
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Underwhelmed by Dredd Under siege... what's the Dreddheads verdict?
DDT did a job on me