Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 23 October, 2017, 08:28:27 AM
I'm not sure who the cover's of or by. Credits I can make out are John Smith, Kev Walker, Jim Campbell, Steve Yeowell, Colin MacNeil, Charles Gillespie, Andrew Clarke and Adrian Salmon.
Finally! That Inspectre reprint rolls around.

Smith & MacNeil could = Strange & Darke.
Pussyfoot 5 would be a stretch for Yeowell but I can't see any of his infrequent Dredds which would fit the bill.
We never really die.

Tjm86

Covers of Pussyfoot 5.  I think that's Raynor's art.  Yeowell did some of the art on the series IIRC but not all of it.

<rant> Bigger question is 'why'?  It's a stretch to consider P5 Dreddworld, it didn't last that long and to be frank there was a reason for it.  I'm with aleardsnazz, stuff like the Stupid Gun makes a hell of a lot more sense.  As does the DNA man.  There's quite a bit that could be cheerfully used instead.  If filler like this is being churned out then why extend by 10 volumes? </rant>   :o

Fungus

IndigoPrime

££££££££££££££££££££££££

Tjm86

If it's going to be 10 volumes of Dredd's great mistakes, aye!  Granted there have only been a couple of volumes that fit into this; Most of Cursed Earth Carnage, Calhab Justice, Independent operators, Inferno, but then no Robot Wars?  Captain Skank?  Kennedy's run of the mid 400's?

If this is just an exercise, as IndigoPrime suggests, in fleecing then it would be a shame.

Tomwe

Quote from: Tjm86 on 23 October, 2017, 10:48:44 AM
no Robot Wars?

Still convinced the first volume of Dredd from the 2000 AD collection will be the first 200+ pages of Case Files 1, therefore including Robot Wars.

Fungus

Quote from: Tjm86 on 23 October, 2017, 10:48:44 AM
If this is just an exercise, as IndigoPrime suggests, in fleecing then it would be a shame.
Kinda what I meant.

James Stacey

Quote from: Tjm86 on 23 October, 2017, 09:22:02 AM
<rant> Bigger question is 'why'?  It's a stretch to consider P5 Dreddworld, it didn't last that long and to be frank there was a reason for it.  I'm with aleardsnazz, stuff like the Stupid Gun makes a hell of a lot more sense.  As does the DNA man.  There's quite a bit that could be cheerfully used instead.  If filler like this is being churned out then why extend by 10 volumes? </rant>   :o
If the marvel extensions are anything to go by the extension will be mostly stuff released since the partwork series began.

The Monarch

err p5s a devlin waugh spinoff so yeah its totally dreddworld related

Tjm86

If we're going with that logic then we can include Strontium Dog and Rogue Trooper too, can't we?  In fact, include Helter Skelter and that gives us the VC's, Dan Dare, Meltdown Man, ....

No?

marko10174

Just out of curiosity, how much would they have to extent it by to get every Dredd story to date in the collection?

EDazzling

Figuring that it is a day's work and only an insane pertain would do it. Probably need another few hundred books?

TordelBack

Crudest possible top-of-my head estimate puts Dredd (including America, Dead Man, annuals, specials etc. but excluding Heavy Metal Dredd, DC & IDW Dredd and Movie Dredd) at about 15,000 pages, based on the first 20 years of 350 pages a year plus 20 years of maybe 450 pages a year (800x20 minus 1,000 pages for errors in my figures = 15,000).  Divide that by maximum page count (250) and you get 60 fat volumes. 

It's tricky to guesstimate how much Dredd in the MC volumes so far, since some Dredd volumes have non-Dredd in them in, and other non-Dredd volumes have Dredd stories, but say 40?  And not all of those at the maximum page count either, so maybe 9,000 pages done, leaving 6,000 to do. 

So maybe another 25 volumes of pure Dredd (beyond Issue 75: Weird Science) would do the lot? 

Any advance from more numerate/database-enabled boarders?

EDIT: Just realised that the Megazine has been going a lot longer than I thought, plus forgot its fortnightly period, so my estimates are way too low.  But I leave the correction to others!

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

paulbyrnewex

I been lurker here for quite awhile but I read a few comments where people have been asking what has been printed and was hasn't been printed. A short time ago I started putting my own list together but I have around 20 volumes left to add but it gives a fair idea of what has and hasn't been published. Hopefully this link works though you might have to download it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Q-8K3urqY7akRGbkE1dEFZU2s