Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 October, 2017, 10:43:43 AM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 23 October, 2017, 08:52:38 AM
Finally! That Inspectre reprint rolls around.
Said nobody, ever. :-)
Not true Jim. I have an ever-shrinking list of unread and never reprinted Thrills and I'm always happy to cross one off.
We never really die.

Tjm86

Quote from: paulbyrnewex on 24 October, 2017, 02:57:42 PM
Hopefully this link works though you might have to download it.

Do you think that your first post being a link to a barely described file download is the most sensible idea?   :-\

Tombo

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 October, 2017, 09:12:13 AM
It's tricky to guesstimate how much Dredd in the MC volumes so far, since some Dredd volumes have non-Dredd in them in, and other non-Dredd volumes have Dredd stories, but say 40?  And not all of those at the maximum page count either, so maybe 9,000 pages done, leaving 6,000 to do. 

To date the MC has 601 entries in my Index, 531 of which are stories the rest been "In Detail", Interrogations, and sketch books.  Dredd comprises bang on 300 of those (not including Heavy Metal Dredd or Fetish [which I consider a Devlin Waugh story]), so slightly more than half of the MC is actually Dredd.

Actual page count is another story which I'll pass on to someone else.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Tjm86 on 23 October, 2017, 09:22:02 AM
Covers of Pussyfoot 5.  I think that's Raynor's art.  Yeowell did some of the art on the series IIRC but not all of it.

Yay!!! The first first series was a solidly told tale with great Raynor art but still a bit Smith-By-Numbers.*

The second story that Yeowell drew, however, is the proverbial bee's knees: baroque, proper science fiction from somebody who knows his Alfred Bester from his James Tiptree, Jr. & Cordwainer Smith. Face-meltingly good stuff from one of the finest SFnal thinkers in Britain today.

Stevie, for one, was really disappointed that there was no follow up as the plot seemed to be embarking upon a right galactic odyssey; vistas that Smith boy has rarely (ahem) visited outside Firekind & Leatherjack..

*The tech guy is possessed by the spirit of Son of Sam? Consider another box ticked!
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Magnetica

Just reading Tour of Duty Backlash. I know it's been out for ages but I had to wait for Mutants in Mega City One.

Anyway I have just noticed some of the stories are printed out of order, compared to the original publication dates.

Does anyone know why that is?

EDazzling

It's so the other writer's "A Day in the Life of Exile Dredd" fill-ins fit neatly between Wagner opening that Status quo and him wrapping it up, IIRC.

Magnetica

I can understand moving stories around between volumes to make the page count fit, but not really within a volume. The last few in Backlash seem to be in some sort of random order.

Not sure if I should ignore that and read them in publication order.

Dark Jimbo

Don't forget that the rather inportant ToD/mutants story 'Spirit of Christmas' appears at the end of the Origins book.
@jamesfeistdraws

abelardsnazz

Enjoyed Famous Monsters, Dredd tackling a variety of beasties with trademark stoicism. Good choice of stories from throughout the years. More volumes like this please.

Jade Falcon

Famous Monsters was good.  A good few old time stories and my favourite one was with the train robbers (can't remember the story name) where the robber was sympathetic.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tomwe

Issue 75 up at Hachette
QuoteIn the twenty-second century, psychic exploration and technological enhancements go hand in hand. From Mega-City One to Brit-Cit, from the ghost-haunted ruins of the Sov Block to the depths of outer space, psioperatives can investigate the worlds beyond – and battle the many threats that seek to break into our dimension... Take a journey into the strange with this head-spinning collection of stories from creators such as John Smith (Devlin Waugh), Kevin Walker (ABC Warriors), Steve Yeowell (Zenith), Colin MacNeil (America), and more!

IndigoPrime

The World At Law had sat on my shelf, and I'd expected it to be another one in the "bleh" pile, but I actually rather liked this collection. I recall Pan African Judges kind of washed over me at the time, but in collected form I rather enjoyed it. There are some issues with narrative here and there, but it neatly tried to do something a bit different with Dredd's world, and the art was rather lovely on the whole.

Following that, Zancudo was amusing and silly, and Tiger Sun, Dragon Moon was Parkhouse doing Parkhouse. It ends on a cliffhanger of sorts, although is still neatly self-contained, and I'd have happily seen more. (Again, I feel this probably washed over me years back, but in collected form it zips along nicely.)

Deathwatch: Faust & Falsehood ended the book on a slice of, frankly, tosh, before Molch-R signed off the book with one of his most critical essays yet. Aside from Deathwatch, though, I was nicely surprised by this one. I doubt I'll return to it much, but it wasn't another Heavy Mob.

TordelBack

Look't Campbell's name up there on the cover of that hardback, right between script:God John Smith and Crucible chum John Freeman.  That's got to melt some of the the black ice surrounding his gothic heart. 

Klegg Bait

I'm somewhat struggling with World at Law.
I really want to get it over with to check out Independent Operators, but it's a slog for me.

Tomwe

FB Post suggests Robbie Morrison & Richard Elson's Marauder will headline one of the extension volumes. I've no idea how good this strip is - thoughts?