Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 November, 2018, 11:31:25 AM
...Kingdom, possibly some Meg series that are ongoing (Lawless, say), classic thrills like VCs, gap plugs (I wouldn't want all of Fr1day, but War Machine and a best-of would be great; see also: Strontium Dogs), Armoured Gideon (yes, I know), Brass Sun, Flesh, Indigo Prime, Necronauts, Zaucer of Zilk, Zenith, Fiends of the Eastern Front, Age of the Wolf, Firekind...

...Brink, Ten Seconders, Absalom, the last three Strontium Dog series, Damnation Station, Storming Heaven/From Grace, Defoe, Leviathan, Red Seas, Atavar, Jaegir, more Savage, Grey Area... Another 20 books there, easy.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tomwe

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 16 November, 2018, 11:43:38 AM
...Brink, Ten Seconders, Absalom, the last three Strontium Dog series, Damnation Station, Storming Heaven/From Grace, Defoe, Leviathan, Red Seas, Atavar, Jaegir, more Savage, Grey Area... Another 20 books there, easy.
Count me in!

Arkady

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 16 November, 2018, 11:43:38 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 November, 2018, 11:31:25 AM
...Kingdom, possibly some Meg series that are ongoing (Lawless, say), classic thrills like VCs, gap plugs (I wouldn't want all of Fr1day, but War Machine and a best-of would be great; see also: Strontium Dogs), Armoured Gideon (yes, I know), Brass Sun, Flesh, Indigo Prime, Necronauts, Zaucer of Zilk, Zenith, Fiends of the Eastern Front, Age of the Wolf, Firekind...

Bix Barton, Revere, Cradlegrave, The Dead, Mazeworld, Ro-Busters, and another vote from me for Armoured Gideon.

James Stacey

How about some Red Seas. That would fill 3 books

Colin YNWA

Quote from: James Stacey on 16 November, 2018, 01:21:37 PM
How about some Red Seas. That would fill 3 books

I'd bet very happy with that. The only issues of this I'm picking up are the Dante ones so I can have a lovely hardcover collection of that glorious classic.

I'd love to have the same for Red Seas.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 November, 2018, 04:58:22 PMThe only issues of this I'm picking up are the Dante ones so I can have a lovely hardcover collection of that glorious classic.

I'd love to have the same for Red Seas.

Gods yes.

Jade Falcon

What is Red Seas, and I'd like to see Leviathan as it was available easily for a short time as a trade but I missed out on it.

I guess with Rogue Trooper we're only going up till the 6 books that were originally printed on trade pre phonebook editions.  Namely the end of the Re-Gene trade?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

athorist

I was hoping that Brass Sun wouldn't be in it, because, errr, that's why I bought the HB.  :)

Although I didn't know about book 4, which doesn't seem to be available. So if they did two volumes, that wouldn't be too bad.

Also I had the same problems with this months payment on the account, it sorted itself out a few days ago. I think they probably sent the message about the direct debit payment too early.
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

Pale fire

Quote from: sheridan on 16 November, 2018, 11:28:57 AM
Quote from: Pale fire on 10 November, 2018, 11:17:52 AM
I think I enjoy early stront more than the recent ones, nemesis is one of my least favourites. Its distinctive and memorable certainly, but some bits feel a bit of a slog.
As a matter of interest, which bits of Nemesis did you find a slog?

Just went back and had a flick through to remind myself of what came when.

I'd say that book one is a bit uneven,  books two and three are pretty good and the pantomime villain aspect of torqemada is both offset and made more creepy by o'neill's artwork.

So, that's volume one, which I probably found a bit middling because of the slow start and having been blown away by slaine, halo Jones, shakara (and then kingdom followed shortly afterwards...).

Onto volume 2.
I like the abc warriors in this, (maybe more so than in some of their own adventures) books 4 and 5 go along at a decent clip, Talbot does a good job with a decent story and book six is probably my favorite bit of the saga so far.
So volume 2 seemed nifty, if a little disjointed because of how it interleaves with the ABC stuff.

Volume 3 is, for me, where it properly starts to unravel.
Torqemada the god, with o'neill's art is glorious.

Then there's the photo story.
Moving on.

Book 7, by now the story seems to be getting stretched. With each reappearance of torq he gets less interesting. I'm not keen on John hinkelstons art in this. The drawing is impressive, but it shifts the tone decisively away from the weird and the intricate and firmly into body horror territory. Which I don't think plays to the series strong suit. Nevertheless, the meeting of the two torqs is interesting.

Purity:'s story has a decent plot, but could maybe have used weirder artwork.

By the time we hit deathbringer I'm not really on board with the story or the artwork.

I like it when series try to do different things, the tonal shift in, for example Dante in the second and third volumes is neatly done and while I prefer the earlier art and tone to the gloomy war stuff in that, it does at least keep the interest up and grow the story.

With nemesis, it feels the reverse, tonally it does something different, but somehow diminishes what went before.

But then the high watermark for nemesis was lower for me too. I'm not sure that the family side of the nemesis stuff was ever really earned (I can't say that the Thoth sideplot really grabbed me, as there didn't seem to be much connection between him and his father, and the threat posed (maybe knowing that there's more books to come robs it of its power) while being written big, never seemed to bite.

If this makes it sound like I hated it all, then that's not right. The strip is very memorable. As a new reader some bits were really gripping. But, for me, I think it falls between two stools, it's grander themes don't really lend themselves to the pulp like nature of the structure they're being delivered in. So the continual reappearance of the baddy feels more like 80s era "the master" in Dr who.

Does volume 4 finish the series in style/on a high?

Tombo

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 17 November, 2018, 11:26:21 PM
What is Red Seas

Red Seas was a pirate/supernatural/horror story starting in 2002 (before Pirates of the Caribbean came out) that started with a pirate crew thwarting a mad sorcerers attempts to kill god and then making their way through a whole series of myths and legends (Laputa, Aladdin, North American Vikings, Valhalla, Hollow Earth) before sort of fizzling out and ending without really wrapping up the story.

Still a good series though and deffo deserving a place in the collection.

TordelBack

I sort of disagree. For my money Red Seas did wrap up the main story, in rather spectacular style, but it left a good few threads hanging (mainly rather good character stuff, unfortunately). I seem to remember that people felt it had sprawled too far and was dragging on, and perhaps Edginton and Yeowell's enthusiasm was flagging, but I believe Tharg may have had a hand in speeding its conclusion (see also: Greysuit). 

Interestingly it's still one of relatively few Edginton 2000AD stories to have a definite end, and certainly the only long-running one.  It remains a very enjoyable read, with some terrific imagery, especially around the Hollow Earth and Valhalla periods.

IndigoPrime

I really need to get around to reading Red Seas from start to finish, in one block. I always got the impression it would read well in that way, and that the big gaps between series did it no favours.

@Pale fire: You ask about Nemesis ending on a high. Hard to tell what you'll think, given that your opinions of the strip in general differ from mine. (I thought the first series was superb and weird, and that first collection is an unparalleled high point.) Personally, I think it ended quite well, even if the spark had somewhat gone by that point. I'm not sure we then needed the epilogue, Tubular Hells, which [spoiler]took the sting out of the original conclusion, by basically leaving Torquemada in a kind of hell, but not Nemesis. Frankly, Nemesis deserved what he got, although I always felt sorry for poor old Seth[/spoiler].

Interesting to think that a few years later, we'd get Shakara, which had a similar anarchic feel to those early Nemesis strips – and the same kind of energy – but didn't get hung up on the stodgy politics of the later Nemesis series.

Magnetica

Quote from: Pale fire on 18 November, 2018, 09:14:28 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 16 November, 2018, 11:28:57 AM
Quote from: Pale fire on 10 November, 2018, 11:17:52 AM
I think I enjoy early stront more than the recent ones, nemesis is one of my least favourites. Its distinctive and memorable certainly, but some bits feel a bit of a slog.
As a matter of interest, which bits of Nemesis did you find a slog?

Just went back and had a flick through to remind myself of what came when.

I'd say that book one is a bit uneven,  books two and three are pretty good and the pantomime villain aspect of torqemada is both offset and made more creepy by o'neill's artwork.

So, that's volume one, which I probably found a bit middling because of the slow start...

Wow...just shows people have completely different tastes...I rate Nemesis Book1 as a high point in the whole of 2000AD history, as are Comic Rock and Killer Watt. Those opening few episodes before Nemesis appears are all great IMO.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 November, 2018, 02:18:37 PM
I sort of disagree. For my money Red Seas did wrap up the main story, in rather spectacular style, but it left a good few threads hanging (mainly rather good character stuff, unfortunately). I seem to remember that people felt it had sprawled too far and was dragging on, and perhaps Edginton and Yeowell's enthusiasm was flagging, but I believe Tharg may have had a hand in speeding its conclusion (see also: Greysuit). 

Interestingly it's still one of relatively few Edginton 2000AD stories to have a definite end, and certainly the only long-running one.  It remains a very enjoyable read, with some terrific imagery, especially around the Hollow Earth and Valhalla periods.

As ever I'm with TordalBack Block.

Though Red Seas was fantastic and the ending hangs together really well. Especially when you think about what it is - the greatest Ray Harryhausen movie ever!