Main Menu

Prog 2065 - Snow Escape

Started by McNulty, 20 January, 2018, 02:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

Quote from: WhizzBang on 21 January, 2018, 08:44:35 AM
(is there a reason why Dexter's eyes are white and he has a FONY tattoo?)

He's had a device called a "Headcase" installed which beams TV shows and movies directly into his brain.  The original "Sony" version got fried by an EMP pulse so he had a bootleg version fitted (hence Fony/phony).

Magnetica

Ok let's re-phrase that...given these ghosts have been there for over 30 years, the resolution seemed all too quick. Just blow the field generator up (or whatever it was called). The point is the narrative moved on very quickly and I would have liked a bit more reflection on it. But I guess that isn't Dredd's way. As he demonstrated when he nuked East Meg One in the first place.

Proudhuff

If you are struggling with the Prog just now, pick up the Meg is cooking with gas!

That's a great cover , but I'm missing The art work and story telling of one of 2ks finest on Dredd.

Brass Sun is the only other thing I'm paying attention to just now, Skipped Hulk smash robots, Savage only just holds my interest would love him to get his Brexit/UKip world shattered, but no goona happen...
DDT did a job on me

Trout

Yeah, me too. I like the Dredd story and I'm still into Brass Sun. I'm following Bad Company fairly well and I'm OK with it, but the other two stories are nit my thing. Nice art on Savage.

DrRocka

Only Dredd keeping me buying the prog right now. Haven't a clue who the two robots are that talk their way through an episode of ABC Warriors, Savage's magic robot retconning is downright embarrassing, Brass Sun's a level of Meh I've not encountered since I last listened to radio 2, and whoever commissioned Bad Company must be out of their mind, despite the wonderful Rufus on art duty.

So yeah... just Dredd and my 40 year history with the prog keeping me buying it right now. I've always found Pat Mill's recent trend of having two people talking for entire episodes to be anything but "thrillpower". PLEASE Tharg, don't commit every strip in the prog to 10 or so episodes in future, especially if two are by the same author. A couple of months of this pile of bollix is enough to put a fella off his subscription.
Never ever bloody anything ever

James Stacey

Quote from: Proudhuff on 23 January, 2018, 06:03:30 PM
If you are struggling with the Prog just now, pick up the Meg is cooking with gas!
Polar opposite innit. Everything in the meg this month is exciting.

Mardroid

Im quite enjoying all the prog so far with the exception of Bad Company, and that's mainly me being a bit puzzled as to what's going on.

I think ABC warriors is perhaps the weakest story wise (all the robots are now fighting each other, and while I understand its likely orchestrated by the G-Men or their nosferatu boss, I have either missed or forgotten how. Suddenly Mongrol is crazy and smushing people. Suddenly Deadlock is sacrificing kids (or was that an illusion). Suddenly Steelhorn has gone martian terrorist. Okay he's had the Mars/Medusa affiliation for a while, bit point is, it all happens at once? And yet I'm enjoying the big robots having a go at each other.

I loved this artists rendering of the current gen ABC Warriors in Savage by the way. And the 1000 year stare (or whatever its called) provides an interesting reason for the ABC warriors tech being developed so close to our own time period. Although I'm still not clear what the stare thing actually is, apart from a way to see the future. I can't remember if it was explained.

Magnetica

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 January, 2018, 05:56:31 PM
Im quite enjoying all the prog so far with the exception of Bad Company, and that's mainly me being a bit puzzled as to what's going on.

I think ABC warriors is perhaps the weakest story wise .... Suddenly Steelhorn has gone martian terrorist. Okay he's had the Mars/Medusa affiliation for a while..

Steelhorn has had that affiliation since the Third Element (The Tripods story). I can't remember what Prog that was but it pre-dates the Clint Langley era so it was years ago.

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 January, 2018, 05:56:31 PM
I'm still not clear what the stare thing actually is, apart from a way to see the future. I can't remember if it was explained.

I know it can be hard to remember...because it was explained last week. If it had been in 1979 I sure you would recall it no problem.

Anyway it is a drug that makes an hour seem to last a hundred years.  The Volgs (and the allies) then got  a load of leading scientists together, like Stephen Hawking Graham Foster to use this "stretched time" to invent all sorts of advanced technology - like ABC Warriors (as explained in this week's Prog).

Richard

Deadlock has always done things like sacrifice kids to Khaos or whatever. No change there.

Modern Panther

QuoteI've always found Pat Mill's recent trend of having two people talking for entire episodes to be anything but "thrillpower".

How else will we understand that evil billionaires secretly run the world and that everything we think we know is a lie, unless its explained us twice a week, every week?!

The Meg is looking great right now, though.

norton canes

As someone else who's only recently returned to the prog after a long absence, I'm another one who would prefer more strips that don't require knowledge of stories from 10, 20 or even 40 years ago.

Having said that... it was kind of satisfying to see the ABC Warriors finally mentioned in a Savage strip - I mean, that's where the time line is going, so why not? Although I didn't get the reference to (quoting form memory) 'mental time travel'?

The way Dredd is meandering through a series of shot interlinked Sov stories is a bit strange but good in the sense that it keeps things ticking over. Are we supposed to recognise 'Maul'?

ABC Warriors - another installment of 'adversaries discuss opposing philosophies', I had my fill of this in the last run of Slaine 

Brass Sun - I feel like I should be enjoying this more than I actually am. At least it's an epic story that's written as an epic story, not an epic story that's epic by dint of the fact that it references decades-old continuity. Still, it's not quite clicking... will persevere though.

Bad Company - contrary to most, I reckon the scripting is OK but the art is letting it down. RD put in some sterling work on Counterfeit Girl but despite the similarities to Brett Ewins I don't think it's working well here.

Mainly though, I do think Tharg has to have a serious think about running so many long-form, continuity-dependent stories.

Pyroxian

Quote from: norton canes on 25 January, 2018, 10:46:52 AM
Although I didn't get the reference to (quoting form memory) 'mental time travel'?

As I understand it, The Thousand Yard Stare is a technique whereby a  person's mind operates at a faster speed than everything else - hence in an actual year, a scientist gets about a thousand years of 'thinking' time - hence coming up with ideas that would normally not be seen for millenia.

It's a pretty cool idea IMO, and explains that rapid technology jump from Invasion to the ABC Warriors / Volgan war.

JamesC

I'm really enjoying the prog at the moment. The Dredd story feels fresh and exciting, Bad Company is a bit bonkers but enjoyable, I love the ABC Warriors and am a big fan of Clint Langley and Savage is going great guns - I love the idea of the 'mental time travel'. I'm skipping Brass Sun but everything else is great.

Also, the East Meg guy on the front cover has a Volgan emblem on his jacket.

Big_Dave

The Thousand Yard Stare is a technique whereby a  person's mind operates at a faster speed than everything else - hence in an actual year, a scientist gets about a thousand years of 'thinking' time - hence coming up with ideas that would normally not be seen for millenia.

It's a pretty cool idea IMO, and explains that rapid technology jump from Invasion to the ABC Warriors / Volgan war.

is that how sciencev works
just having a long think

cant speed up experiments

The Adventurer

Quote from: Big_Dave on 25 January, 2018, 01:19:18 PM

cant speed up experiments
Indeed.

I would make more sense if they were just receiving technology from the future to reverse engineer, perhaps from Torquemada himself. Or even still use a drug induced psychological state, and the technology is being beamed back in time into the minds of people on the drug.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK