Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Well I figured i'd make a day of it so...

Streets of Fire: Walter Hill's neo-noir, Bi-lit send up to 50's rock and roll cinema is fundamentally flawed, but runs along at a cracking pace, has some fabulous set pieces and a thumping great score. A rough diamond but a fun 90 mins.

Brazil: Decided to revisit Terry Gilliam's odd ball dystopian epic after my recent viewing of Time Bandits, and it's still a cracking good time. Easy to imagine it as a favourite to many about here. Don't cross your Bs and Ts!

CalHab

Quote from: SIP on 05 August, 2018, 08:15:53 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 05 August, 2018, 04:45:01 AM
The Matrix

The Warchowskis are like that band that made one brilliant, innovative and visceral album, an album that combined styles and genres in ways you never would have considered possible. Then every follow up attempt is a dismal dissapointment.

Couldn't agree more. Not really liked anything they have dine since.

I may be the only person who prefers Cloud Atlas to The Matrix.

JamesC

Tales From the Crypt (based on the EC comics).

The old anthology horror from Amicus (I think) starring Joan Collins, Ralph Richardson, Peter Cushing and lots more 'I know him, he used to be in...' style actors.
Great fun. I love these old anthology horrors and this is one of my favourites. The best story is the one set in the home for the blind.

Incidently, I have, somewhere kicking around, a Tales From the Crypt pocket book which reprints exactly the same selection of stories as this film - I guess it must have came out at the same time.

broodblik

Quote from: CalHab on 08 August, 2018, 11:27:33 AM
I may be the only person who prefers Cloud Atlas to The Matrix.

I enjoyed Cloud Atlas even Jupiter Ascending. The sequels to Matrix where all below average.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dandontdare

Quote from: JamesC on 08 August, 2018, 12:37:26 PM
Tales From the Crypt  ... The best story is the one set in the home for the blind.

Oh yes - I somehow saw this film far too young and that one really disturbed me!

Greg M.

It's very often the final story in an Amicus anthology that's the best (The Door in From Beyond the Grave, Drawn and Quartered from Vault of Horror) and Blind Alleys is no exception - definitely one to include if you were assembling an ultimate Amicus compilation.

Hawkmumbler

Final Cut put out a lovely double bill of Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror, another Amicus production i've been hankering for a quality home video release of The House that Dripped Blood for some time now.

There was just something special about the early 70's anthology horror scene.

Daveycandlish

Oh I'm a huge fan of the Amicus anthology movies. SO much so, that the last issue of my horror comic was inspired by them;

http://www.lulu.com/shop/paragon-comic/aaiieee-2-night-flight-of-terror/paperback/product-21759062.html

Not only all the usual suspects contributing (including a number of Zarjaz regulars) but also Si Spencer, currently writing for the Meg.

Use the code LULU10 when you check out to get 10% off!

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 August, 2018, 11:22:57 AM
Brazil: Decided to revisit Terry Gilliam's odd ball dystopian epic after my recent viewing of Time Bandits, and it's still a cracking good time. Easy to imagine it as a favourite to many about here. Don't cross your Bs and Ts!

Are you going to finish the trilogy?

Magnetica

The Hateful 8. This seems to divide people according to its Wikipedia page.

Now I generally like Quentin Tarantino films but I'm in the "didn't like it camp" on this one.

For me it was way too long, far too talky and the violence, when it kicked in was far too gratuitous; I'm definitely not squeamish about this sort of thing, but it felt all a bit unnecessary.

I also didn't find the mystery that engaging.

Samuel L Jackson seemed to be trying to reprise Pulp Fiction. The British chap reminded me of Schultz from Django Unchained, but just not as good. In fact for me that sums it up - like other QT films but just not as good.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sheridan on 09 August, 2018, 12:54:07 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 August, 2018, 11:22:57 AM

Are you going to finish the trilogy?
I have never seen The Adventurous Of Baron Munchausen, so I might do just that soon...

TordelBack

Treat in store there,  Hawk.  Massively underrated film, IMHO.

The Legendary Shark

Yeah, I love Baron Munchausen - brilliant film.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Ant Man & The wasp - a fun but inconsequential addition to the canon. the shrinking and growing effects are marvellously done and many of the tropes from the first film are repeated - Michael Pena reapeats his long explanation acted out in flashbacks schtick, familiar pop-culture items are shown in massive scale - last time it was Thomas the Tank Engine, this time it's a Hello Kitty Pez dispenser. Did anyone else wonder how the lab, the delicate equipment and the people inside survived all that mucking about?

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 05 August, 2018, 07:35:09 PM
Good stuff. And, yes, stay for the mid and end credits scenes.

I'd say you should definitely stay for the mid credits one as it contains importation plot teasers for the ongoing story (intriguing - wonder what THAT was all about?), but I was annoyed to have sat through the rest of the interminable credits for a throwaway sight gag which we'd already seen

Tiplodocus

View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Online)

Re: Current TV Boxset Addiction
« Reply #1906 on: Today at 06:09:53 pm »
QuoteModify
Deathstalker.

I was on the lookout for some Conan type stuff on Netflix and came across this piece of shit. The reward for saving women from rape is that, er, you get to rape them. Even the fights are crap. Did we really put up with this even in the eighties? I guess.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!