Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: pictsy on 06 July, 2020, 09:28:22 AM
Ginger Snaps

I remember watching this in the early 2000's and it definitely spoke to me back then.  I really loved it.  Then I went over ten years without seeing it.  Returning to it after all this time had me worried.  I have remembered things from my past being better than what they were, where I failed to see their problems and faults.  Most of the time I'm OK with that.  My youth isn't sacred.  Nevertheless, I didn't want this film to be worse than what I remembered.  Thankfully, it wasn't.  This was like meeting a friend you haven't seen for years and picking up where you left off, not missing a beat.

Really it is a pretty simple werewolf movie.  I used to think it was a pretty heavy handed allegory for menstruation and growing up and this is the only thing that has changed.  I know think it isn't an allegory.  I think that's blatantly the story and the werewolf stuff is just additional stuff on top.  There is no metaphor or allegory at play here, it is pretty literal.  I'm happy with that.  I'm glad I rewatched it after all this time and that I still like it as much as I ever did.

At some point I will watch the inferior sequel and prequel(?).  Just for completionist sake.

I really like Ginger Snaps. It's one of my favourite werewolf films. While I agree that it is a pretty straightforward werewolf film, the tone feels original.

I have a soft spot for the sequel too, although probably it isn't as good. It did something different anyway.

The (sort of*) prequel ... not so good but it was kind of interesting due to the period setting.

* I say 'sort of' because the story doesn't really relate much to the original. They use the actresses from the first film in this period setting, and it's not clear if they're meant to be ancestors of the others although it's a while since I've seen it, so I might be missing something, or the same characters in a different setting like some kind of parralel world. Ginger's personality in this film is quite different (less rebellious I guess) but that could be due to, upbringing.

pictsy

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 July, 2020, 03:09:36 PM
I really like Ginger Snaps. It's one of my favourite werewolf films. While I agree that it is a pretty straightforward werewolf film, the tone feels original.

I have a soft spot for the sequel too, although probably it isn't as good. It did something different anyway.

The (sort of*) prequel ... not so good but it was kind of interesting due to the period setting.

* I say 'sort of' because the story doesn't really relate much to the original. They use the actresses from the first film in this period setting, and it's not clear if they're meant to be ancestors of the others although it's a while since I've seen it, so I might be missing something, or the same characters in a different setting like some kind of parralel world. Ginger's personality in this film is quite different (less rebellious I guess) but that could be due to, upbringing.

I think the first one might also be one of, if not my favourite Werewolf film.  Saying that, I haven't seen An American Werewolf in London.  I have been told countless times that I should but I never really think to. 

I remember the GS sequel being a let down in part because of where it decided to take the story, but that is also its charm.  It has been just as long since I last saw it so my memory is fuzzy.  I also didn't mind the prequel, but it is weird with the whole period thing.  Both films were apparently released the same year as well.  There might be an interesting production story behind what was going on with those two films and why they decided to do period Werewolf film with the same actors.

wedgeski

Quote from: pictsy on 06 July, 2020, 03:26:50 PM
I think the first one might also be one of, if not my favourite Werewolf film.  Saying that, I haven't seen An American Werewolf in London.  I have been told countless times that I should but I never really think to. 
All I can say is...you really should. :)

Keef Monkey

Quote from: pictsy on 06 July, 2020, 01:04:58 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 July, 2020, 11:19:17 AM

Wife picked The Witches of Eastwick the other night as she'd never seen it, I hadn't since I was a youngster (too young to be watching TWoE probably) and was surprised to see George Miller's name pop up as director, had no idea. It holds up okay in a lot of ways, it's a bit messy but it chock full of memorable and vivid moments and everyone involved is hamming it up brilliantly. It doesn't feel like the classic I've always kind of thought of it as, and I realized that one of the reasons it probably stuck with me was because at the age I was the triple threat of Michelle Pfeiffer, Cher and Susan Sarandon probably melted my brain a bit. Still fun though.

I watched this a few weeks ago (gave my thoughts here).  I actually returned to it because of discussions about Mad Max and George Miller prompted me to visit his IMDB page to discover he directed it.  What did your wife think of it?

She laughed a fair bit, but did say she'd expected a bit more. Particularly from the ending, she said she found it a bit weak that [spoiler]the resolution is just that they're now saddled with kids and are still thinking back on the relationship in a bit of a wistful way. She found it made the casting out of the toxic ex to be a bit less empowering than it could have been. Seemed a fair point![/spoiler] Other than that she enjoyed it though, but wasn't bowled over. I think the general reaction was similar to your own comments, about it having a lot of interesting threads but it being difficult to really know what it's doing or saying with them. It feels really enjoyably unsubtle in a lot of ways and really vague and strange in others. Pretty unique film!

pictsy

Quote from: wedgeski on 06 July, 2020, 03:56:42 PM
Quote from: pictsy on 06 July, 2020, 03:26:50 PM
All I can say is...you really should. :)

OK, OK.  I'll add it to my list (yes, I have a actual list of films I might be interested in watching in the future). ;)

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 July, 2020, 03:59:50 PM
It feels really enjoyably unsubtle in a lot of ways and really vague and strange in others. Pretty unique film!

I think that's an excellent way to describe the film :)

von Boom

Alien: Resurrection. What can you say about this film? Sigorney Weaver puts in an adequate performance as Ripley's clone. There are some good moments and Brad Dourif is his usual creepy self, but this is a film where the sum is much less than its parts. I think Whedon forgot that Alien is supposed to be scary. There are no real frights, but a couple of mildly gross scenes and far too many quips. Could easily be renamed Alien: Meh.

Keef Monkey

The Girl With All The Gifts, pretty good and a nice original approach to the zombie genre. Watching it so close after playing through The Last of Us 2 felt fitting, very similar post-apocalypse aesthetic going on.

Professor Bear

The Tent - no-budget post-apocalyptic drama that blows its twist wad too early so you sit through the rest knowing it won't get any better, and then the budget really starts to creak, but sadly not enough to obscure the terrible script.

Underwater - (spits)

Morituri - mostly-enjoyable WW2-set thriller starring Marlon Brando and Yul Brynner, about attempted sabotage on the high seas.  Some fine actifying, but not as tense as one might expect.  It also feels like it doesn't quite take advantage of its sprawling sets in the way it could.

Keef Monkey

Got to Star Trek V: The Final Frontier on the rewatch, turns out I could remember so little about it that I'm now a bit unsure if I ever saw it in the first place.

It's not great eh? I know it's got a bad rep (Rotten Tomatoes has it pegged as the worst in the series) but even going in knowing that it does feel like the first really shoddy one, after being really pleasantly surprised with how great 1-4 have held up. It still has its fun moments and I quite like the central premise but overall does feel like a weaker TV episode stretched out to a feature.

Still quite enjoyed it though and I know there's more good stuff to come so will continue on!

Apestrife

Another John Carpenter double bill

The Ward Went in very low expectations. Heard it was bad. Wasn't that bad to be honest. Nothing mind blowing, but an okay film to watch and talk over with a couple of buddies.

Cigarette Burns Felt like Carpenter doing a David Lynch film. Some really cool and imaginative scenes. Didn't find it scary at all, but I really liked it. Felt like a follow up to Mouth of Madness.

wedgeski

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 10 July, 2020, 10:27:22 AM
Got to Star Trek V: The Final Frontier on the rewatch, turns out I could remember so little about it that I'm now a bit unsure if I ever saw it in the first place.

It's not great eh? I know it's got a bad rep (Rotten Tomatoes has it pegged as the worst in the series) but even going in knowing that it does feel like the first really shoddy one, after being really pleasantly surprised with how great 1-4 have held up. It still has its fun moments and I quite like the central premise but overall does feel like a weaker TV episode stretched out to a feature.

Still quite enjoyed it though and I know there's more good stuff to come so will continue on!
I don't think I have ever been as disappointed in a film. Coming off 1-4, all of which I loved, and at the height of my young persons's "Star Trek is simply the best thing ever" mania, it felt depressingly cheap and slipshod. Decades later, I still think it's awful, but I understand the story behind its failures, and it has a few moments. "I need my pain" is a great scene.

At the time I assumed it would be the end of the road for the original crew movies, but Trek 6 turned out to be very good indeed.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Apestrife on 10 July, 2020, 11:17:01 AM
Another John Carpenter double bill

The Ward Went in very low expectations. Heard it was bad. Wasn't that bad to be honest. Nothing mind blowing, but an okay film to watch and talk over with a couple of buddies.

Cigarette Burns Felt like Carpenter doing a David Lynch film. Some really cool and imaginative scenes. Didn't find it scary at all, but I really liked it. Felt like a follow up to Mouth of Madness.

I'm really fond of Cigarette Burns, and I genuinely do find it pretty scary! Something about the film footage and the way it's presented is really creepy to me. Plus the jump scares in that one do get me. I watched that whole Masters of Horror series in the dark with headphones which I think helped them to land the scares, I remember a few of them really freaking me out. I recall not liking Carpenter's other episode (Pro Life) as much so never rewatched it, while I do go back to Cigarette Burns now and then. I should give Pro Life another shot I think.

The Ward is another one I keep meaning to rewatch, it definitely wasn't a classic but I remember quite liking it. It's not top tier Carpenter but I can find enjoyment in all his films. I didn't even watch Village of The Damned until last year because it was regarded as such a lesser Carpenter movie and I was pleasantly surprised that it has some great scenes and music, particularly in the early mood setting sequences.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: wedgeski on 10 July, 2020, 11:30:32 AM

I don't think I have ever been as disappointed in a film. Coming off 1-4, all of which I loved, and at the height of my young persons's "Star Trek is simply the best thing ever" mania, it felt depressingly cheap and slipshod. Decades later, I still think it's awful, but I understand the story behind its failures, and it has a few moments. "I need my pain" is a great scene.

At the time I assumed it would be the end of the road for the original crew movies, but Trek 6 turned out to be very good indeed.

Yeah my memories of VI are really vague but I do remember it feeling like a real return to form. Cheap and slipshod is definitely the way to describe V, after Nimoy doing such a good job on the last couple it maybe seemed a good idea to give one to Shatner but I wonder if that was its downfall and it might have been better in more experienced hands!  It's definitely a credit to how much I love that cast that they still managed to wring some good moments out of it like you say.

Mardroid

Yeah, it's not great, but I liked the Sybok character a lot.

Dandontdare

Shatner's gloriously pretentious explanation of the symbolism of the mountain-climbing scene is toe curling - save yourself the time and stick with the musical remix