Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Played through Assassin's Creed: Rogue which was alright. I'm not huge on AC games and only enjoy the occasional one but the one I got genuinely super into was IV: Black Flag which this is essentially a budget rerun of so I enjoyed getting to sail about and have ship battles again.

Also played Journey which was a very pleasant single sitting experience, I liked the atmosphere and particularly liked the way it would drop other players into my game anonymously and with no means of communication beyond jumping up and down really. It was surprising how much of a bond you can make with someone over the course of a level when that's all you have! It gives you a list at the end of the players you played with and turned out what I'd assumed was one person was actually half a dozen. Interesting game.

Have finally bitten the bullet and started The Witcher 3 which I've been putting off since release because it seems like a massive time sink, so I expect that'll be all I'll be maining for the next few months!

Krakajac

I'm about 60% through Assassin's Creed 1 on the PC (see details of my AC marathon on the previous page of this thread).  It's a strange beast - the visuals are incredible for something 13 years old - and yet - it feels so empty.

I'll give it some leeway for it's age - but the various missions are all rather boring and predictable (and they vary little from city to city).  The controls are also somewhat difficult on a PC.

In any event, I'll persevere so that I can make the switch to AC2 on the PS4 - it's the 'Ezio Collection' that includes all the DLC and add-ons (Brotherhood, Revelations, etc.) - and has been 'enhanced' for the PS4.

Enjoy The Witcher 3 - I've played a bit of it on the PS4, and barely scratched the surface!

Apestrife

Finished Outer Worlds yesterday. "Fallout in space" with some additional twists. Colour and the flaw system being the most notable for me. Shame the main quest story felt as boring as I think Fallout 3-4s' did, but luckily some the side stories were very good. Only thing I can fault it for, outside there not being any grenades or mines.

Trailer https://youtu.be/EPbrKXda6RI

Greg M.

Quote from: Apestrife on 12 June, 2020, 05:54:53 AM
Finished Outer Worlds yesterday. "Fallout in space" with some additional twists.

Had managed to miss this completely, but you sold it to me in three words.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Greg M. on 12 June, 2020, 08:18:05 AM
Quote from: Apestrife on 12 June, 2020, 05:54:53 AM
Finished Outer Worlds yesterday. "Fallout in space" with some additional twists.

Had managed to miss this completely, but you sold it to me in three words.

Yeah Outer Worlds is real good! I agree that the main storyline isn't particularly engrossing, the characters and side-quests were the strong point for me. It's a bit like Fallout meets Firefly and that's a very good thing. Not to be confused with The Outer Wilds, which came out around the same time and is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Greg M.

I read a review earlier that said the game maximises your ability to talk your way out of trouble - like Fallout New Vegas, as opposed to Fallout 4. That sounds like exactly what I'm after. Bought!

repoman

I bailed on Resi 2.

Been playing Super Soccer Blast (arcadey football game that feels quite retro and fun), Gradius Cozmic Collection (all the old Gradius games in two handy packs, no Gradius 5 though which is a shame but not unexpected), Demon's Tier+ (a decent twin-stick rogue-like with decent risk vs. reward mechanics), Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath (more MK with a 3hr story added on that's actually pretty good).

Mainly though I'm playing Terraria which is an evil timesink and arguably one of the best games ever made.

repoman

Quote from: repoman on 18 June, 2020, 10:14:31 AM
I bailed on Resi 2.

Been playing Super Soccer Blast (arcadey football game that feels quite retro and fun), Gradius Cozmic Collection (all the old Gradius games in two handy packs, no G-Darius though), Demon's Tier+ (a decent twin-stick rogue-like with decent risk vs. reward mechanics), Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath (more MK with a 3hr story added on that's actually pretty good).

Mainly though I'm playing Terraria which is an evil timesink and arguably one of the best games ever made.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Skyrim*

Because I wanted to play a game where you can run about in wide open space for some reason. I found it was a good way to test my eyesight. There's not much to say that hasn't been said, no doubt some of you will play this game again on the next iteration of consoles (with inferior graphics**). RPing as Lemmy. So no stealth, just a big loud electric wizard who goes smashy smash.

*modded tae fuck
**GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE
You may quote me on that.

shaolin_monkey

I see Terminator Resistance has been mentioned before, and it's currently about £18 on PSN.

I've been playing through it, and I've been very much enjoying it! It has a mid to low budget feel, but it has definitely captured the flavour of the post-nuclear Terminator world!

I think if you are a big fan of the films you might want to try this game out.

shaolin_monkey

My PSVR has had a lot of use lately now it turns out I've never really liked to go outside, and staying in is proving to be nice but fattening. Beat Saber with wrist weights on hard settings makes me piss sweat and burn a lot of calories.

Anyway, I've been exploring some of the sub-£20 games, plus Tetris VR was on offer the other day.

Tetris Blimey, who would have thought you could revamp this for a 3D market? A trippy exoerirncevif visual and auditory delights. Remarkably immersive. And it's Tetris!

Next up are two absolute gems, just perfect for 3D:

Sacrilith: A short but absolutely superb game where you are a bowman teleporting from spot to spot trying to protect two sword wielding comrades from wave after wave of knaves, knights, guardsmen and other medieval baddies. As you progress you get power-ups, such as firing a barrage of arrows in one ho, slowing the waves down with tar and so on. It's like a tower assault game, where you are the tower. It's the bowman ship required that sells it though! It does feel like you're reaching back, grabbing an arrow, notching, and letting fly. You have to time the arrows to land where you think the baddies will step too, so a bit of tactical thinking is required. It's great, and my shoulders get a hell of a workout from holding up the Move controllers like a bow and arrow.

Stardust Odyssey: This is an odd but compelling game, and I was immediately enamoured by its original fantasy setting. It's a cross between Journey to the West and The Wind Whales of Ishmael. You play a smuggler who drifts in between a convoy of huge flying barges on a trade route, nabbing treasures left out on  deck with a magical grappling hook, while keeping an eye out for flying sentry robots and flying versions of those aliens from 'Attack the Block'. In between 'routes' (of which there are several stages each) you settle down in a magic Far Eastern-style tent on a desert planet for trading. It's hugely enjoyable, and makes incredible use of the Move controllers. There's lots to see, and the earlier levels are mellow and chilled with great sound and visuals, while later levels are hugely challenging unless you manage to steal and then implement the correct spells. Huge fun!

All the games above were fab and really made the PSVR feel like essential gaming.

Apestrife

Bioshock, Bioshock: Infinite, Bioshock: Burial at sea Bioshock is one of those games which I manage to buy on every system I own which it's available on. PC DVD, Xbox360, PS3, PS4, GOG.com and the other day STEAM (the collection went on a sale, which made it cheaper than than buying the B:I dlc separately). Wouldn't surprise me if I'll end up buying it on Switch either. It's not a perfect game (at least not gameplay wise) but it's setting is fenomenal. Get's me everytime when I'm called out as a looter by the big baddie Andrew Ryan (a mix of Captain Nemo, Ayn Rand and Charles Foster Kane) when I'm doing just that. Picking up everything I can from the crazies I've just mowed down with a shotgun and electric shocks. It doesn't feel like Ryan is my enemy, rather I'm his by coming uninvited to his city.

As for Bioshock infinite, I really really like it's gunplay and roller coaster shenanigans. The story and setting isn't as gripping as Bioshocks, but it has a similar quality of ambiguity. Especially regarding what's keeping the heaven-esque city in the clouds (which I'm shooting to hell) afloat. It does that without being too on the nose. Rather it's smaller details which carries the point across. And as with the looting in the first game, I feel the violence in Inifnite has a similar thing going for it. The way it manages to play into the narrative.

While I've played Bioshock and Bioshock: Infinite countless times it's only the second time I've cleared the Burial at sea DLC of Infinite. First time playing it I really didn't have the patience for it, and mostly ran through it for the story. This time I had more patience and enjoying it for what the the two episode DLC does differently. Especially episode 2:s focus on stealth. Episode 1 feels more like the first game's gun play. One thing I wish they'd done is to include a map in the menu, instead of using the green arrow from infinite. The more open game world makes it easy to miss out on some quite large chunks of enviroments to explore (something I certainly did first time playing it years ago). I also enjoyed the story much more as well. Taking my time and letting it sink in. I remember it feeling a bit like mostly spectacle the first time around, but this time it really clicked. Especially the ending.

Bioshock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfZ30sfjdLY
Bioshock Infinite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsJ55BzIvkE
Bioshock Infinite Burial at sea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IALc80SvwXw

As some may have noticed, I've skipped Bioshock 2. For some reason I've only played it once 10 years ago, but I plan on revisiting it soon. Especially for the DLC Minverva's end. Heard alot good about it.

pictsy

I have only played Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite and only completed the latter.  The settings are nice, especially Infinite which looks fantastic (I love that style of architecture), but I found the gameplay to be utterly tedious.  It was really disappointing because I liked so much about it, but it didn't make up for the feeling that I was just slogging my way through.  I think I stuck with Infinite because of it's rollercoaster mechanics.

I have been playing Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2.  It's still a very pretty game with a fantastic atmosphere and I still enjoy the gameplay for the most part.

Smith

XCOM 2. Way more then I should.

wedgeski

Quote from: Smith on 03 July, 2020, 11:11:07 AM
XCOM 2. Way more then I should.
Man, I need to get back to that. I abandoned my game years ago cos I thought they'd ramped the difficulty into unfun levels, but I feel like giving it another go.