Main Menu

Prog 2188: Chronoclysm!

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 June, 2020, 05:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I may have spelt that right.

The tagline might be a word that falls out your cake hole in very clumsy fashion, but man its a lovely cover all the same from Boo Cook. So atmospheric and evocative of Turner, which I assume was the plan and given Turner is one of my all time favs then I was always going to love it wasn't I.

Anyway its taken me a while to fall in line with this line up - though to be fair its taken a wee while for the line-up to settle in itself. Whatever this week its on a blinder.

Dredd is grim, horrific and utterly enthralling.

Full Tilt Boogie has really hit its stride in the last couple of weeks and has the gloriously energetic feel of the story I loved in the Special. Its fantastic this week, just fantastic.

As is The Out. I mean you see the influence of old sci-fi novel covers on that openning splash and the tone is so fresh and lively. Its fun, different (for 2000ad) and a blast. Loved it.

Oh as I do The Order while I've been getting used to other things, or other things have been getting up to their potential, or whatever its been The Order has been there as a rock. Just the best thing in the Prog over these last 4 weeks. The fact that its not this week is nothing to do with it - its still as good, its still as brilliant and this epsiode so much is packed in - its just the other strips have raised their game! Fantastic stuff.

As is Diaboliks which really benefits from shifting focus to a completely different character giving the series a break from wicked and thinking their cool or wicked and just being wicked. Its a blast this week... but can it last? Well lets hope.

So a clear five out of five and all the strips are just superb. All the more so as they all feel so utterly different from each other. The balance is just fantastic.

Oh and I might have forgotten my Hail Tharg last week. So

All hail Tharg

All Praise the Mighty One

Thank you Droids and all. lockdown might be breaking down, but we still need to be mighty grateful we're getting thrills of this quality.

The Monarch

can't really add more than colin did utterly fantastic week this week

Tjm86

Loving Dredd but the pace is a bit of a challenge.  No doubt it is going to read much better as a full and completed piece.

Diabioliks and The Order were the low for me.  The former confused the living daylights out of me.  Took a bit of time to get my head around what was going on.  Not so much the same with the Order.   Feel a little like I've lost the plot here.  Having said that, even for a low it is a solid and enjoyable read.  Plus Burns on art duties ...

... and here we get to the meat of the problem.  Full Tilt Boogie and The Out are for me what Tooth does best, just out and out bonkers world building.  Cracking artwork and stories that pull you in.  FTB has a fresh, vibrant feel to it.  The Out is one of those strips that takes a completely different look at the place of the Human race in the universe.  [... and I keep feeling like there's a bit of a riff on Halo Jones here ... "where did she go? ..."]

FOTF - next series of The Brink!!!!!!

Jacqusie

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 June, 2020, 05:39:05 PM

Dredd is grim, horrific and utterly enthralling.

One thing that this Dredd saga has got me pondering is why Necropolis was so astonishingly good and worked on so many levels. Apart from probably Carlos's finest hour, It was the interwoven back stories and then the Prologue warm ups before kick off proper that lead us in so well.

Rob Williams is so adept at doing this with his Dredd-world stories, I'm slightly suprised that we headed into End of Days somewhat cold this time. The sudden nature of the quest has a slighty rushed feel about it all and I'm pleased that the saga will last all summer long to peice it all together 'On the road' so to speak.

It's great to see Anderson teamed up with Dredd again and their experienced but aging minds and bodies will be severly tested once more.

Just please don't kill Giant Rob, it would be most appreciated if you were to leave a few established characters for future saga's!

Richard

Diaboliks was great! Full Tilt Boogie just keeps getting better. The Out is already developing a plot, and [spoiler]the last panel is funny (read the hologram above her head).[/spoiler]

The Enigmatic Dr X

Dredd

Enjoyed muchly. Feels very 1980s. That's a good thing.

Dredd not affected by famine microbes feels a step up from having flea bites and not scratching.

Surely he's the incarnation of Death? If you were going to choose a human personification of a rider of the apocalypse, then the planet's biggest murderer would be a go-to choice.

Maybe famine didn't want to hurt the boss?

The Order

Surely the worst named story ever?

This feels a chaotic shambles. I've no idea what's going on. Stuff is dropped in at random and so many folk have died or been reincarnated that I'm lost. If Bobby Ewing stepped out a time shower, I'd not be shocked.

The Out
Good fun. A very 2k strip.

Diaboliks
Scene setting still but it's great to have any Cabbalistics.

Full Tilt Boogie
Not for me. Feels light and stodgy at the same time. It's as confusing as the Order but with the draining zaniness of a kids' cartoon instead of ominous historical figures.
Lock up your spoons!

A.Cow

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 28 June, 2020, 11:23:31 PM
The Order
Surely the worst named story ever?

Could be worse.  They could have called the story Dire Bollocks.  Oh, hang on ....

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

Good cover illustration, but the design feels a bit knocked-up-in-five-minutes. Maybe the result of technical problems alluded to in previous Damage Reports?

Dredd- The lack of build-up feels like an issue, as mentioned earlier in this thread. It's a bit like those Anderson stories where something world-changing occurs but isn't mentioned anywhere else (all the kids disappearing was one example).
Full Tilt Boogie- Brilliant. Love the art and the script is witty & fun. Hope this gets a second (and more) story.
The Out- Sci-fi instagrammer is an interesting concept. Curious to see where this goes.
The Order- I struggle to see where the story is in this. It just looks like a bunch of half-baked ideas chucked on a page. I look at this purely for the Burns art now.
Diaboliks- I liked this- the Bond-esque paranormal  investigator getting a comeuppance. Again, a fun story.

JimmyNailz

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 June, 2020, 05:39:05 PM
I may have spelt that right.

So atmospheric and evocative of Turner, which I assume was the plan and given Turner is one of my all time favs then I was always going to love it wasn't I.

Turner wasn't the only art historical nod in the prog this week.  The last panel of The Out was definitely a nod to Edouard Manet's "A Bar at the Folies-Bergere.

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/a-bar-at-the-folies-bergere-207293/view_as/grid/search/keyword:a-bar-at-the-folie/page/1

I've just had a catch up read on progs 2184-2188 (and dug out part one of Full Tilt Boogie in 2130) and am loving the current line-up of thrills, particularly Full Tilt Boogie and The Out.  The Diaboliks won it for me this week though.  The first few pages had me chortling.

Also, in non-prog prog-related news, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Fall Of Deadword novella omnibus by Matthew Smith but only midway through. Grpping but grim thus far.

Proudhuff

Nice cover, might pull in a few more punters
Dredd: so Judge Giant and Anderson out the picture or is there a magic bullet? Great to see Osbourne getting a suitable place in a Future Brit-Cit. Art is amazing on this tale, the silhouettes and Blythe's colour work a treat.
FTB: enjoying this change of pace for 2K, and fine storytelling and art, I feel if this merges with The Out we'd have Halo Jones!
The Order: no idea which side is which anymore or who is on who's side and why. Giant robots appearing out of the blue would normally appeal to me but not this time.
The first two pages of Diaboliks had me thinking oh no, really? But the third restored my faith in the Grennie droid!
Six great but different artists involved, really is a bit of a showpiece prog.
DDT did a job on me

MacabreMagpie

Maybe it's just an "artist" thing but I really like the cover, the framing is quite smart.

norton canes

A prog! I actually have a prog! After 13 weeks of lockdown downloads I've been to Smiths and I finally have a real, paper copy of 2000 AD here in front of me!

Excited.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: norton canes on 01 July, 2020, 12:50:58 PM
A prog! I actually have a prog! After 13 weeks of lockdown downloads I've been to Smiths and I finally have a real, paper copy of 2000 AD here in front of me!

Excited.

That's very cool. Hope you enjoy - have you been getting digitally in the meantime or have they been backing up on order?