Main Menu

Prog 2188: Chronoclysm!

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 June, 2020, 05:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Oh I've got 2175-2187 digitally, I haven't missed anything :D

It's just lovely to have the 'real' thing again. It was nice being able to zoom in on the artwork but there's no substitute to seeing it on the page.

Wondering whether to pick up the 'missing' 13 progs now. Probably no point in spending on them twice over. Guess that 13-prog gap will be another testament to the legacy of the pandemic.

paddykafka

I'm gradually starting to catch up on my back progs now, as the comic shop guys with whom I have a standing order are getting back to normal and they are managing to restock on back progs. Not their fault at all. Just something to do with distribution and postal problems...or something like that. To be honest I lost track of what they were saying, as I was so excited to get the first four back progs into my excited little mitts.  :)

broodblik

I am repeating myself here but then again then the only consistent thing for me this year is the quality of the prog.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Keef Monkey

Great prog, even if there are a couple of series I'm not really following intently at the moment.

Dredd is so, so, so cool and MacNeil's art is majestic this week. Loving The Out, again the art is glorious and it's such a good setting and such a refreshing pace-change from everything else.

The Diaboliks I'm enjoying too, although not as much as I expected to given how much I loved Caballistics, but that might be the problem. As I'm reading it I'm sort of missing that series and while this has ties it's its own thing and I'm still adjusting to that!

Full Tilt Boogie and The Order look really nice so I enjoy looking over the art, but I have absolutely no idea what's going on in either of them to be honest. The Order I used to follow but it got away from me a while ago, and FTB confused the heck out of me immediately and I've never got a grip on it since. I read the special it debuted in, but I still don't seem to have any idea who any of these people are or what they're up to. Still, it looks nice and others seem to be following it so that's probably my bad.

IndigoPrime

The Prog feels rather fresh right now. Lost of new stuff, even if one of those (Diaboliks) is connected to some old(ish) stuff. Good all round, even if I really need to re-read The Order to figure out what's going on.

JayzusB.Christ

Only read Dredd so far. I'm not always totally on board with Rob Williams's Dredd but this is good stuff. So... Have I got this wrong, or is [spoiler]Giant dead[/spoiler]?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Timothy

[spoiler]No. He was punched out. Wan was shot[/spoiler]

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

norton canes

Anyone else think 'Chronoclysm!' would have been a better title for the strip than 'The Order'?

Pleased to say that I am definitely feeling the warm fuzzies for my tactile, all-analogue prog. Though perhaps the admittedly atmospheric cover doesn't 'pop' quite as much as it should. AG seems a little crowded out of the frame - perhaps the camera could have pulled back a little, or shifted the focus onto the ship. Ah well. 

Actually pleased that there's been no prologue or other preamble to 'End Of Days'. While it's always nice to extend a story, sometimes it's better just to get stuck in. Although the narrative gets a bit confused this week in terms of who suffers which fate, I love the revelation (or should that be 'Revelation') that this time it's basically us, the stupid humans, causing our own downfall. Airborne nano-food? Yeah, I can get with that. It'll probably happen one day. 

The Out rocks up with a stunning first page - and belatedly, a proper logo. However although we get a big picture we're still not given the big picture, as a plot proves elusive. Is the whole thing going to be loosely-structured in the vein of Halo Jones book II? Or... I'm not quite sure why, but... I've got a tiny inkling at the back of my thrill-synapses that we're being lulled into a false sense of security and this is going to take a really dark and unexpected turn at some point. Any anagrams of 'Cyd Finlea' which might give the game away? 

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 30 June, 2020, 12:35:47 PM
Turner wasn't the only art historical nod in the prog this week.  The last panel of The Out was definitely a nod to Edouard Manet's "A Bar at the Folies-Bergere

Nice spot. Also, Cyd's backpack has the same 'CYD' logo she uses as her signature.

I'm definitely of the school of thought that The Order (did such a disjointed strip ever have a more ironic title?) is best enjoyed on a prog-by-prog basis and that I don't need to refer to previous instalments or otherwise make attempts to recall the storyline. In fact I'm certain this was the way it's meant to be enjoyed.

Full Tilt Boogie gets a little cutesy this week, which is OK, 'cause it's still brilliant, but I hope it bears its teeth again soon.

Thrill levels at optimum in the house of Diaboliks, with a nicely structured instalment.

All this and more Brink to come (that's the 2020 'best strip' poll sewn up already then) - business as usual for the GCC!

(the what?)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: norton canes on 02 July, 2020, 11:07:33 AM
Anyone else think 'Chronoclysm!' would have been a better title for the strip than 'The Order'?

Its too hard to say out loud!

wedgeski

Quote from: Tjm86 on 27 June, 2020, 07:34:56 PM
FOTF - next series of The Brink!!!!!!
IKR! And shouldn't we have heard about a collected Volume 4 by now?

M.I.K.

Quote from: CalHab on 30 June, 2020, 11:06:34 AM
Diaboliks- I liked this- the Bond-esque paranormal  investigator getting a comeuppance. Again, a fun story.

I'm pretty sure Damien Dellamore is a Dylan Dog analogue, (based on the limited knowledge I have of the character - never actually read any of the comics).

M.I.K.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 07 July, 2020, 01:34:57 AM
Quote from: CalHab on 30 June, 2020, 11:06:34 AM
Diaboliks- I liked this- the Bond-esque paranormal  investigator getting a comeuppance. Again, a fun story.

I'm pretty sure Damien Dellamore is a Dylan Dog analogue, (based on the limited knowledge I have of the character - I've never actually read any of the comics).

Jacqusie

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 28 June, 2020, 11:23:31 PM
Dredd

Surely he's the incarnation of Death? If you were going to choose a human personification of a rider of the apocalypse, then the planet's biggest murderer would be a go-to choice.

Well done on your prediction Dr X, you were spot on!

I'm just reading this prog for the first time proper and it struck me on the brill McNeil close up panel with Dredd where his internal thoughts mention "all the bio-tech in that old, creaking body".

How this is in direct contrast to the rejuve malarky that went on a few years ago and more aligned with the Wagner school of character development of Dredd's aging process.

Nice one as ever Mr Williams!