Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

So, a Nintendo Switch Lite.

My 3DS has hardly got a look in since I got the Switch but I don't think I'll be getting a Switch Life.

For starters I don't go to Skate parks, Rock Climbing Arenas and banging parties or laugh uncontrollably when playing games like the people in the launch advert do...
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

If I didn't already own a Switch, I'd definitely get a Lite instead - I play the Switch almost exclusively in handheld mode as it is, I like the smaller form factor and weight (the Lite reportedly weighs the same as the regular Switch without the joy cons attached) and I need a proper d pad for 2d/retro games (so much so that I actually own the Hori d pad Joy Con).

I'm sure it'll sell boatloads.

Colin YNWA

I'm the opposite to radiator in that we mainly play on screen and only use hand held when in the car our out and about so for me the Switch lite would be a step back. Like the price tag mind!

zombemybabynow

Reckon i'll get a lite - as well as getting mario od. maria kart and darkest dungeon - please could i have some recommendations please?
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

IndigoPrime

Has anyone here hacked their Switch and got MAME running on it? And if so, have you managed to avoid the ban-hammer? I like the idea of a Switch, and the notion of getting one with a Flip to play old games in portrait (if that works). But I'd also like to, you know, buy new games, if Nintendo won't get all pissy about me having the audacity to play Wizard of Wor on the Switch when I want to.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 12 July, 2019, 09:04:46 AM
Reckon i'll get a lite - as well as getting mario od. maria kart and darkest dungeon - please could i have some recommendations please?

When I got mine being a none gamer I asked a similar question and if you nosey down here I've found this thread a really helpful resource for answering just that question.

zombemybabynow

Colin YNWA

This thread. Just read down (or up depending on how you organise things) this thread.

zombemybabynow

Apestrife

Got DOOM2 and DOOM3. Both games lends themselves well played with a controller. DOOM1 and 2 are only 5 each, 3 10. I didn't get DOOM 1 since I already got it on PC, and I mostly play it for the first episode, the later ones not being as fun.

I never finished DOOM 2 back in the day, so I'm giving it a go. 1/3 in and I must say I enjoy it quite alot. Alot of interesting maps and the double barrel shotgun plus the new enemy types makes it feel like different enough beast from the first game.

DOOM3 is as good as I remember it. Not to say perfect, but I really like what it has to offers. It's a charming horror fps. Guns aren't as loud like I'd would like them to be but just like David Bowie's mix of Stooges - Raw power (which lacked bass) it has grown on to me. I've made sure to disable auto aim, auto reload and so on, to make as much of it up to me. Having to manually reload when getting circled by mars hell zombies makes for some nice horror. Only wish they'd add the option to having to choose between carrying a flash light or a gun, instead in this verison of the game there's the BFG version's light, which can be turned on without the need to switch. It's a superficial sense of dredd, but I like it. Bit like with having to manually reload (which is an option).

Also wish they'd let me switch the button lay out. But I've e-mailed the guys handling the port about it. Hoping they'll patch it in. It's panic button, so I'm having hope --since they'v been really good at updating their switch ports :)

radiator

Looks like SNES games are about to start being added to the library of games you get with the Switch online service....!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/switch_snes_controller_confirmed_nintendo_switch_online_snes_games_next

radiator

OK, so I now officially have Too Many Switch Games to play.

What with the arrival of the 20 SNES games (with more to follow), I have barely had time to get my teeth into Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and the Zelda: Link's Awakening remake drops next week, promptly followed by The Witcher III, and Luigi's Mansion 3 shortly after that.... Not to mention Untitled Goose Game, Ori and the Blind Forest, Doom Eternal and Samurai Shodown, among others.

This really is an incredible console, and the library is getting better and better by the week.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 12 September, 2019, 05:56:38 PM
OK, so I now officially have Too Many Switch Games to play.

Too many games to play is a bigger cliche than too many comics to read - and I sympathize with both!

Still plugging away at the epilogue in RDR2, and also a bit of the original Harvest Moon (WiiU VC) whenever I'm kicked off the main 4K TV.

My aim is to have both finished by the time Links Awakening arrives on the Switch next week, and to have that done by the time Luigi's Mansion 3 arrives in October.

Been a good year for gaming, and I cannot recommend the Switch highly enough.

radiator

QuoteToo many games to play is a bigger cliche than too many comics to read - and I sympathize with both!

I feel like the first couple of years of the Switch sometimes suffered from the usual Nintendo console trickle of quality games, and at times it felt like there wasn't much on the horizon, and I was starting to get a little sick of playing indie Metroidvanias to fill the gaps. But this year its really felt like its kicked into high gear.

I didn't even mention the new Pokemon, Astral Chain, Little Town Hero, Mario Maker 2, Dragon Quest XI, Ni No Kuni or Animal Crossing...

Shame that Daemon X Machina seems to have got fairly lukewarm reviews across the board, but you can't win them all.

Colin YNWA

Cat Quest 2 out end of the month... wayhey... ahem... err say the kids... yes it's the kids who are most excited by this... honest...