Main Menu

Meg 404 - Crystal Trips & Alien Stare

Started by Richard, 12 January, 2019, 01:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: M.I.K. on 12 January, 2019, 08:02:29 PM
...and the award for the best most  1970s laboured pun in a cover tagline goes to....

FTFY
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: Nick Percival on 12 January, 2019, 03:16:19 PM
Quote from: Richard on 12 January, 2019, 01:39:54 PM

The Torture Garden is on form as ever, with interesting developments in the story, and of course beautiful art by Nick Percival. Does it finish next issue? Seems like a lot still has to happen before this wraps up.

Thanks - The Torture Garden is 10 parts long, so you're just half way through. More big changes to come (especially at the end of Part 6) - For folks that aren't keen on it - sorry - 5 more months of fun for you!

Proudhuff sobs quietly so the Dark Judges don't hear  :-X
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 13 January, 2019, 09:02:01 AM
Janelle "Dirty Computer" MonĂ¡e block features some "Pete Wells lives" graffiti.

So we know Greggs survives the Apocalypse War then...
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

Well it not always good to compare the Meg with the Prog but the Meg is currently much more superior.

Lawless is just plain awesome. I must say that I did not see this story line coming. If you have not read this you are missing out of one of the best strips in any comic ever.

Dredd was really good and I cannot wait for the completion of the story in the later the year.

Torture Garden what great art work to supplement a great story. The ending of this episode was something that I did not except. [spoiler]Fear is back[/spoiler]
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Sherman Kid

The Torture Garden As much as I love Deadworld this is better. Nick Percival's exquisite art lifts it higher (is it just me or does the art in Deadworld make it a bit hard to tell who's who?) and it's a cracking story.

Lawless Mmmm on the fence with this one. Not with the art that's for sure, superlative stuff as many have said. Nor with the story so far, really enjoyed it. Take on its own, this episode is really well done as well. But if this is how it ends well.......like I say on the fence.....hope it swings in another direction next week.

Dandontdare

When I finished Lawless, I thought it was a satisfying conclusion, a nice 'epilogue' episode and assumed that was that ... then I noticed the "next issue.." line, so I guess it's not over after all. It could have ended here with no problems, but I'm interested to see where it goes next.

Dredd and Storm Warning were good, if not quite classics.

Torture Garden was superb - I never thought the dark judges could be scary again, but in this series and the Deadworld stuff in the prog, they have gone back to being seriously creepy.

I'm skipping Blunt (which is usually unheard of for me) I have no interest in the story and don't like the art much.

So two stonkers, two good-enoughs and one dud - I'd say that's a pretty good scorecard for a diverse anthology.

broodblik

I am not Boo Cook biggest fan but his cover is excellent.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Freddychopper

That last sequence at the end of The Torture Garden. Just WOW. Spooky and beautiful all in one and finally we get to see.......................you know who

Colin YNWA

So much that's been said is so true - except for Proud-so called-huff dissing that glorious pun. I mean I missed it at first then it creeped into my giggle noddle like a comedy ninja on happy juice. Forced 70s punnery gold...

...but none of that matters... as we have Lawless...

...Jack Lynch's art gets better and better and this was a very fun Dredd, all be a little frustrating that its there just as set up. Still it makes perfect sense that [spoiler]Orlok[/spoiler] would have clones like Joe so looking forward to see how this develops.

Storm Warning has some lovely Tom Foster art which is also getting better and better. Its a little indulgent with its page count, this feels like it could fit easily into a Prog sized story but still happy to see how this develops after enjoying the last one...

Anyone ever read thos old 'Mind games' stories in Cerebus? That Blunt this week that is... think I liked it will need to see on re-read

Then there is Torture Garden... which has been playing its part of the recent revival of the Dark Judges as scary greats not pantomine dames and I'm quite happy to have it around for the promised 5 more parts as long as it doesn't slip back into panto, there were moments this time that had me worried. These stories have worked best when the Dark Judges aren't front and centre but the horrors you see out the corner of your eye. We'll see but still very enjoyable....

Nice text features and I'm really REALLY looking forward to the floppie, this is very good use of the floppies  even if the art looks a little 'clean' for the story that seems to be told...

Have I mentioned the best thing in the Meg is Lawless, just stunning, stunning stuff. Over in the Prog Dabnett proves his genius with a simply glorious episode of Brink and a suggested we need to have the two face off to determine which is the best and thne Lawless pulls a masterstroke like this. I mean it terrifies me that its setting up its end, that its not a feint as Indigo Prime supposes ... but the solicitations tell us there are at least two more episodes to go... what are Dabnett and Winslade doing to us? But when its this good, let them do it again, let them do it again with love.

So yeah happy with my Meggage I is.

Timothy

Is that Dr Feelygood patching Dredd up?

Geoff

Dandontdare

Quote from: Timothy on 16 January, 2019, 10:41:41 PM
Is that Dr Feelygood patching Dredd up?

I loved that little callback - one of my favourite 2000ad robots!

Magnetica

I really do hope that isn't it for Lawless and it turns out to be a Zhind mind trick or something.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 January, 2019, 11:27:49 AM
I really do hope that isn't it for Lawless and it turns out to be a Zhind mind trick or something.

TBH, I find myself torn between being incredibly annoyed with Abnett if this turns out to be some kind of fake-out, and pathetically grateful for all those characters not being dead.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Magnetica

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 January, 2019, 11:31:52 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 17 January, 2019, 11:27:49 AM

TBH, I find myself torn between being incredibly annoyed with Abnett if this turns out to be some kind of fake-out, and pathetically grateful for all those characters not being dead.

Yes that's where I am with this too (and Lawson not being 40 years older).