Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD IDW: #8 THE LONG FAIL - SPOILERS

Started by LARF, 27 June, 2013, 09:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

I don't normally do this type of thing but I'm not impressed with this at all and I need to get it off my chest. Let's start off with that comment and take it from there.

I do love Nelson Daniels' work though, but it's lacklustre in this issue and has been trailing off over the past few issues - whether it's a script fault or just a lack of interest in the characters from the artist I'm not sure, but compared to Wild Blue Yonder (the new comic from IDW launched last week which is brilliant) his work is missing depth and soul, plus some of the comedic parts of the script / strip just make me cringe. [spoiler]There is one bit where Dredd get's eaten by a robotic bin that really made me do a double read and nearly made me weep in it's pathetic attempt at capturing the ironic comedy that makes the British Dredd great. [/spoiler]

Add to all this a slip up on the pagination in the digital edition which just added the icing to the shit-cake [spoiler]that was the end of 'The Great Fail' and the start of 'The Cursed Earth'.[/spoiler]

Oh, the cover I quite liked - very graphic, iconic, interesting and engaging but it was fancy gift-wrap on a second-hand jigsaw puzzle that a two-bit Aunty gave you when you were 8 because they needed to get back in the good books of your parents (long story, yes I'm bitter, and this issue has regurgitated very old wounds).

BUT, this is not the reason I'm pissed at this issue. It's the tail end story that had me most shocked, and disturbed.[spoiler] Basically to set the tone for 'The Cursed Earth' we learn that mutants are well mutants - they have three eyes, they marry have wives, and then have lovers that are young boys with two mouths. Yep, cursed earth muties are peados - I'm a bit lost for words and don't really know how to finish on this point but I just think it was unnecessary.[/spoiler]

So I'm not impressed.

James Stacey

so the slow shit slide of IDW Dredd continues. I was hoping that after issue 8 they might give it to a writer who, like, you know had a clue how to write Dredd but sadly not. I get the feeling he boned up on the character by reading Mark Millars stuff. Still, looks like there is a Ian Gibson cover coming up so the covers should remain good even if they are used to wrap a turd.

COMMANDO FORCES

Two covers for this issue and I felt that the subscription one was the better of the two.

Gotta say, can it get any worse and that first blacked out bit from LARF is spot on, it's absolutely ludicrous. I did the same thing, I reread those two pages just to confirm that my eyes had actually seen what I thought they had!

I was hoping that this was the last part of the story but sadly for us, it isn't :'(

Cactus

Is 'eaten by a robo-bin' the new 'jumped the shark'?
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

pauljholden

Quote from: LARF on 27 June, 2013, 09:21:53 AM
I do love Nelson Daniels' work though, but it's lacklustre in this issue and has been trailing off over the past few issues - whether it's a script fault or just a lack of interest in the characters from the artist I'm not sure, but compared to Wild Blue Yonder (the new comic from IDW launched last week which is brilliant) his work is missing depth and soul,

Wild blue yonder is drawn by Zach howard - who is often coloured by Nelson Daniel (maybe why you got confused). But they're different artists.

LARF

Thanks PJ you're right, and apologies for the misstep there. Still doesn't change my opinion the art on the latest issue just doesn't cut it for me.

Albion

Jovus! That was drokking awful.
The only good thing in the whole issue was a nice comment about the Judge Minty film in the piece about the Cursed Earth.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Spikes

This just dropped through the letterbox today, and i thought it was gonna be my last issue, as #7 gave the impression it was the end of this particular storyline - but it just moves on into the Cursed Earth, and now im conflicted as thats probably my fave setting for Dredd....

And caught this interview whilst browsing - Swierczynski Takes IDW's Judge Dredd "Into the Cursed Earth"

Nice to see that Gibson cover for a forthcoming issue, so i guess that means we'll be seeing a few familar face's later on then...
And this quote made me think;
How has the fan reaction been to your "Judge Dredd" so far?

Every single fan has loved every single panel. Every caption. Every character design. Every line of dialogue. Every punctuation mark.

Those who didn't? Well, you can visit them you-know-where.

Wonder if he's refering to this forum??

COMMANDO FORCES

I saw that the other day, shall we collectively raise a large handbag :lol: :lol: :lol:

Banners

Quote from: Judge Jack
Every single fan has loved every single panel. Every caption. Every character design. Every line of dialogue. Every punctuation mark.

A gross misrepresentation of this particular Dredd fan's reaction which, ultimately, was to stop buying the title. More humility and less hyperbole next time please, Mr Swierczynski.

(Although, to be fair, there's a comma on page 8 of issue #3 that I absolutely adore...!)

LARF

Quote from: Judge Jack on 08 July, 2013, 10:38:37 PM
This just dropped through the letterbox today, and i thought it was gonna be my last issue, as #7 gave the impression it was the end of this particular storyline - but it just moves on into the Cursed Earth, and now im conflicted as thats probably my fave setting for Dredd....

And caught this interview whilst browsing - Swierczynski Takes IDW's Judge Dredd "Into the Cursed Earth"

Nice to see that Gibson cover for a forthcoming issue, so i guess that means we'll be seeing a few familar face's later on then...
And this quote made me think;
How has the fan reaction been to your "Judge Dredd" so far?

Wonder if he's refering to this forum??

The red text has annoyed me. The dig at the core fan base has thoroughly pissed me off, what a complete ego-tistical thing to say!

IndigoPrime

Hrng. Not a smart move, really. A better quote would have been something like: "We've had a great reaction to our take on Dredd, which is really appealing to the American market. It's really exciting to get the chance to write for this property, and we hope more people will join us as we take Dredd in thrilling new directions."

Or maybe something a bit less press-releasish. Either way, not inferring "those old Dredd fans—what idiots". Oh well.

Albion

Those who didn't? Well, you can visit them you-know-where

Yes, you can visit them at a place where they actually understand how Dredd and his world works.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

CrazyFoxMachine

I heard there's a spectacular art competition going on there.

Cactus

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 11 July, 2013, 11:58:09 AM

I heard there's a spectacular art competition going on there.

I know this guy who's got loads of ideas for Judge Dredd but nobody listens to him on the newsgroups any more. Maybe he could ask for some advice there.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!