Main Menu

Off topic threads

Started by Wake, 10 February, 2005, 08:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake

Are you forgetting to type / in /bbsorder or are you using the V2 chat room?

If it's the latter, I'll fix that in a moment.

Cheers,

Wake

Funtwangle

o my gosh you guys need to get over yourselves... no offence  :)

Matt Timson

And having been here all of five minutes, you need to mind your own fucking business.

:)
Pffft...

Wake

but surely the default should be the old layout?

The reason that the new layout is the default is because I believe that the old layout is the best one for regular posters, but the new one might well be better for people who come here on a more infrequent basis, and also gives a better overview for someone who has barely posted at all and probably wouldn't even notice the different categories in the old view.

So far 19 people have switched to the old view, and 5 are on 'ordered by message thread' which was the previous default view.

I'm open to suggestions as to how to make the category view better, but I think it is a worthwhile step for some people. Whenever someone comes here and asks why we don't use Ikonboard or whatever, the only function they ever seem to be able to come up with which this board doesn't (didn't) have is the extra layer.

I'll probably switch back to the old view myself in the near future.

Cheers,

Wake

Wils

Ah! I *am* using the old chat room (a necessity for Netscape still). That'll be it. Cheers Wake.

paulvonscott

I think...

I'd have the old layout for people who wanted it.

The new layout needs to just look nicer, and when you go into each topic, you should find the same amount of threads in each one.

Plus you probably want to have some more 2000AD orientated Groups.  Such as Prog, Meg, 2000AD General, that sort of thing, to distinhuish 2000AD from other stuff.

Wils

I agree with the subject groups, but thread starters would have to be more vigilant in using the right ones.

(A quick visit to the new chatroom has sorted the board for me now) :)

Noisybast

Ordering stuff by category can work - see 2000AD Review for proof.

However, there are areas of that site that I never really wander into, probably missing out on all sorts of interesting stuff...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Wake

I could make each Category have the same number of posts in it (not the same number of threads so easily), but that would mean that some Categories would view threads from far further back in time than others.

I don't want to make lots of new categories. If anything perhaps some categories could be collapsed into others. Other_comics is a definite possibility though, and General could be renamed 2000AD_General

Wake

House of Usher

Anyone who hates this, and it bears repeating, go into the database chatroom and type /bbsorder 3
STRIKE !!!

Devons Daddy

i am with wake
his pionts make sense.  

i am likely to go and get the old format by weeks end on my default. but i think it does answer the concerns that have been raised. let new boarders entertain themselves without the other stuff which may make it seem a bit daunting.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Funtwangle

thanks for the welcome john

;)

all i meant was that the way the place looks neither here or there there are some very funny people here... i have been reading this board for some time and what it looks like doesnt matter its the messeges that matter... i dont understand why all the people have been fighting over nothing like this...

still an attack from john in my first day posting is an honour sir

:)

sixmo

If there was only some way we could have even more categories... some way of further subdividing the threads into groups... very small groups... perhaps even an unique group for each thread... which you could identify by some kind of information that was contained within... like a subject...
hmmm, it'd never work! ;)

I've seen the way categories work on some larger messageboards for things like particular PC games where you have maybe a minimum of 50-60 punters on it permanently. They have a main page where you can see the kind of volume of people on each section. However, I don't think there are enough people using the board to justify having the sheer number of different categories (maybe some stats here could be helpful). The 2000AD Review site only has a few categories, something like 2000AD, non-2000AD comics, and general. If it is determined that the categories are the way of the future, I think fewer categories would be the way to go.

In the meantime I think I will be reverting to the old style board when I get a minute, as it is far too much effort to trawl through all the different sections at the moment.

Wake

I think that reducing the number of categories is just as important as adding to them.

BTW, so far 46 boarders and 6 greys have moved back to the old style index. At a guess about 18 people have posted on the board today and are still viewing the category version.

Wake

DavidXBrunt

I like the new stylee myself.