Main Menu

Blu-ray Minithread

Started by Hawkmumbler, 22 December, 2018, 06:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Now thats a stellar selection matt! I still need to pick up that When a Stranger Calls boxed set, looks absolutely lush!

Mattofthespurs

Thanks Hawk.
The When a Strangers Calls set is outstanding and well worth getting.

Rately

Some lovely stuff, Matt.

Haven't seen Monkey Shines in a long time so I'll need to add that to the list, and i will hopefully have those lovely Carpenter editions when I'm a bit more flush with the cash come May!

Mattofthespurs

Thanks.
The Carpenter box sets of the 4k, Blu, DVD and soundtrack seem to be sold out in most places, commanding prices of double. However, Studio Canal did release individual discs of these. The only thing you will miss out on is the postcards, poster and booklet.

Keef Monkey

I grabbed those Carpenter boxes too, Prince of Darkness just arrived yesterday. Was a little annoyed by the way the pre-orders went up, because initially it didn't look like PoD was getting the box edition treatment so I ordered the steelbook edition instead and wound up with both. Still, I have a friend who collects steelbooks who wants to buy it off me so all worked out in the end!

Also just bought the Arrow release of Miracle Mile, had been meaning to own it for a while and seeing it again recently gave me the prod I needed. Not watched it yet but Arrow's treatment of these cult classics has been great.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 19 February, 2019, 03:53:51 PM
I grabbed those Carpenter boxes too, Prince of Darkness just arrived yesterday. Was a little annoyed by the way the pre-orders went up, because initially it didn't look like PoD was getting the box edition treatment so I ordered the steelbook edition instead and wound up with both. Still, I have a friend who collects steelbooks who wants to buy it off me so all worked out in the end!

I did exactly the same except I ordered the standard blu ray and now have it unopened, unwanted, and unloved.

Rately

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 19 February, 2019, 11:14:23 AM
Thanks.
The Carpenter box sets of the 4k, Blu, DVD and soundtrack seem to be sold out in most places, commanding prices of double. However, Studio Canal did release individual discs of these. The only thing you will miss out on is the postcards, poster and booklet.

Cheers.

I'm mostly Digital now, for space reasons, but I would definitely shell out extra for John Carpenter's films.

Mattofthespurs

It's mine and MrsoftheSpurs' original anniversary today (the day we started going out together, not our wedding anniversary (we celebrate both so we get two lots of presents a year) ) and she bought me these.

The 4K collection is building up nicely :)

Link Prime

The Marvel movies are 2 for €20 on Blu-Ray in Golden Discs at the moment.

Filled me boots yesterday, and really looking forward to re-watching Infinity War (w/o 4 nephews asking me questions throughout) before the sequel hits cinemas.

Mattofthespurs

My Infinity War 4K arrived this morning.

Good value at £13  :D

Hawkmumbler

Man, i'm missing Fopp in Manchester. Went into HMV yesterday with money to burn but was so put out by the shite selection I only ended up slapping a tenner down for the DVDs of the Frankenstein Must be Destroyed rerelease and the Lone Ranger movie double bill.

Strangely sticking my head in the window of Fopp, all the stocks still on the shelves. Somethings a foot mayhaps...

Keef Monkey

The Glasgow Byre's Road Fopp was one of the stores supposedly closing down but there was a bit of an outcry and now it's remaining open. Maybe more will follow suit!

Halloween 4K (the recent sequel) just arrived. Really enjoyed it in the cinema so looking forward to a home rewatch.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 February, 2019, 02:21:24 PM
Man, i'm missing Fopp in Manchester. Went into HMV yesterday with money to burn but was so put out by the shite selection I only ended up slapping a tenner down for the DVDs of the Frankenstein Must be Destroyed rerelease and the Lone Ranger movie double bill.

Strangely sticking my head in the window of Fopp, all the stocks still on the shelves. Somethings a foot mayhaps...

The Oxford one's the same, which is a bit bizarre - obviously they're still paying rent on the unit, so why not keep it open?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Pyroxian on 25 February, 2019, 02:34:59 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 February, 2019, 02:21:24 PM

The Oxford one's the same, which is a bit bizarre - obviously they're still paying rent on the unit, so why not keep it open?

It IS  baffling, and not unlike the famous Byers Road branch theres been a bit of a stir over it's closure, it was always heaving whenever I was in. Here's hoping it's a sign of it being given another shot.

Mattofthespurs

I appreciate the sentiment. I spent many an hour in HMV as a young man looking at the album covers of Roxy Music for wanking material in my mind later on but I struggle to understand why anyone buys on the High Street anymore.

Love them or loathe them but Amazon, and the like have my business for their delivery, prices and returns policy.