Main Menu

Avengers: Endgame Spoiler Thread

Started by radiator, 26 April, 2019, 04:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

What did we all think?

I actually had a really good time, probably enjoyed it more so than Infinity War. Went to see it at my favourite cinema here in Portland opening night and had to queue (queueing for the cinema! in 2019!). It was a packed house and the atmosphere was amazing and really added to the experience - whooping, cheering, applause, people audibly crying. When Cap picked up Mjolnir for the first time, the place went absolutely nuts - it was like being at a sporting event.

For me the movie clicked when it became clear that they were going for a Back to the Future Part II setup - with past-Thanos taking the role of future-Biff.

Really really fun movie packed full of surprises and a satisfying end for the original Avengers lineup (so long as you go with the flow and don't try to think about the logic of the time travel plot that is), though I think Black Widow got a bit short-changed.

Genuinely baffled as to what on Earth they're going to do next, or how they're going to top it in terms of spectacle - the end battle makes the airport fight scene from Civil War look like a scrap in a pub carpark.

The one misstep was Captain Marvel's hairstyle - which looked like a bad wig, and exactly like Leslie Knope in that episode of Parks and Rec. Captain Marvel in general felt almost entirely redundant, and the stinger from Infinity War kind of seems like a red herring in retrospect.

Pyroxian

I enjoyed it, but had a few niggles.

Not sure why Stark had to die - esp. as they had 6 infinity gems that they could've used to resurrect him. Although I guess if they'd done that, they would have then had to bring back Vision (But he's coming back in a TV series I think - unless the TV show names were red herrings...). Still, they can still bring back Stark in the same way as they did in the comics, so he may not be dead...

Cap picking up Mjolnir was awesome - esp. as it had been set-up way back in Age of Ultron...

The time travel stuff didn't wrap up that neatly... Stark should've just wiped the bad guy's memories and sent them all back in time in order to preserve the timeline. I did wonder if they were going to do the whole "You can reset the timeline, but you will have to lose your daughter" thing, but glad they didn't. I liked what they did with Cap though.

Loved the fact that they dealt with Thanos in the first 10 minutes and then forwarded it on 5 years.

Liked CMs new 'do - more like how she is in the comics. I can see why they didn't bring her in until the end though as she is just way too powerful.

As to what next? Eternals is their next big one, so maybe Celestials? Although they've got the FF back, so Galactus is now a possibility as well... Kinda hoping they bring in the Fantastic Four in the same way as they introduced The Sentry in the comics, as that would be a great way of just dumping them into the MCU as a fully-fledged team.

radiator

Said it before, but Fantastic Four as a 1960s period movie just has to happen. I would bet money on that happening.

I honestly think the only way they can go now is back to smaller scale films again. I'd love to see what they can do with X Men - a series in desperate need of a refresh.

Also on Endgame - for a three hour long film, I was surprised at how short it felt. Didn't drag or outstay its welcome for me at all.

radiator

Line of the film for me went to Rocket:

"I lost my whole family - Quill, Groot, Drax, Gamora.... the chick with the antennae".

TordelBack

So yeah, spectacular, and way more of a genuine conclusion than I expected.  I am going to piss 50% of you off by including spoiler tags for the more amazing stuff, you'll just have to find a way of undoing my evil scheme.

Yeah, I knew Cap would[spoiler] finally get that dance[/spoiler], and I knew Tony [spoiler]would die saving the world at last[/spoiler] (although the 'how' of that one was pretty great), but there was a lot of deft wrapping-up I really didn't expect.

Downers: Surprisingly, seeing as I loved her movie, I though the leaden almost-an-afterthought handling of Captain Marvel was bordering on disastrous, as was the Charge of the XX Brigade (although my daughter utterly loved it, so job jobbed there, I suppose). While the concept was a brave choice, Professor Hulk was way too much like Shrek, and I echo Valkyrie in preferring either of the other two guys: it seemed a pity that the Hulk's cowardice last time wasn't really explained, beyond the obvious.  I found it hard to believe that Nick Fury didn't get a single line, and what the hell happened between Disney and Natalie Portman to leave things like that!

I thought it a rather heavy coincidence that, judging from the Far From Home trailer, ALL of Peter Parker's key friends/frenemies were Snapped too.

I also didn't really understand what was going on with the [spoiler]resurrection of the Asgardians[/spoiler] - where was that host of warriors during the evacuation of Asgard?  And even if they were all somehow hiding behind Our Karl in Ragnarok how did they all survive the attack on Korg's starship long enough to get Snapped? Was the Unsnapping backdated to include others that Thanos had killed by non-Snappy means? (It occurs to me that the Asgardian Ark was actually destroyed with the characteristic purple energies of the Power Stone, maybe that's what the fix included?).

And I'd have liked Drax to be the one to take out Thanos. But you can't have it all.

Anyway, in a film this enormous, these are small things: the BIG downer for me was [spoiler]Black Widow[/spoiler]'s death.  Yes it was a great, great scene, yes I understand there may be a way out of it in line with putative future movies (the Soul Stone was destroyed, after all), but it still felt wrong.  This wasn't a mistake, it was a well-framed decision, but it hit me harder than losing those who had, I felt, completed their stories.

What I loved/was amazed by:

The correct version of time-travel, where everything matters but nothing changes.  I'd have hated to see the world's experience of the Snap undone.

[spoiler]LOKI[/spoiler] ESCAPED!  And not just any [spoiler]Loki[/spoiler], the un-neutered version!  This is nothing but good news: the redeemed one gets a noble death, the still-villainous one gets to scheme again!

Thor and Tony getting a second chance to see their loved ones, and maybe put things right.

The clever fixing of [spoiler]Gamorra's death[/spoiler] - it retains the weight of its tragedy, but the character lives to learn to dance again.

New Asgard and The God of Lebowski.  All just perfect, and I was truly amazed that Thor wasn't [spoiler]re-made into his Pirate-Angel form when he got Mjolnir back[/spoiler].  That's commitment, and if not an horrific failure on the part of Hemsworth's agent, a real testament to the professionalism of the actor: [spoiler]almost everyone else gets a noble death, he gets a fatsuit, comedy beard and a cardi[/spoiler].

The arrival of Absolutely Everybody. Soooo Comicbook Crossover Event.

Steve and Mjolnir.

Steve in the lift, again.

Centennial Steve.

Steve versus Thanos.

Steve versus Steve.

The idea of Steve subsequently sneaking back with the Scepter into Stark Tower where there already two other Steves...

Oh look, I like Captain America.  Sue me.

But mainly, the fact that it really did feel like the end of a 22-part story.  Bravo.  Bravo.

radiator

Quoteas was the Charge of the XX Brigade

I'm in two minds - it bordered on cringe, but also, hey why the hell not?

It will also doubtless enrage the usual sexist loons, so that's all good as far as I'm concerned.

TordelBack

Fair point!

Something else unexpected, and amazing: Bruce and [spoiler]the Ancient One[/spoiler]. That was very cool.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 April, 2019, 06:55:23 PM
Steve and Mjolnir.

Steve in the lift, again.

Centennial Steve.

Steve versus Thanos.

Steve versus Steve.

The idea of Steve subsequently sneaking back with the Scepter into Stark Tower where there already two other Steves...

Oh look, I like Captain America.  Sue me.

Steve and dat ass.

The Enigmatic Dr X

My lad asks:

If Thanos can create a universe, then instead of killing 50% of everyone, why not double the amount of resources?
Lock up your spoons!

The Monarch

wasn't it established in infinity war that thanos let half the people in the ship go and murdered the other half or am i misremembering it

radiator

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 27 April, 2019, 03:35:51 PM
My lad asks:

If Thanos can create a universe, then instead of killing 50% of everyone, why not double the amount of resources?

More to the point; is there actually a shortage of resources in the universe in the first place? Is that a thing anyone even believes?

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 27 April, 2019, 07:34:03 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 27 April, 2019, 03:35:51 PM
My lad asks:

More to the point; is there actually a shortage of resources in the universe in the first place? Is that a thing anyone even believes?

They don't call him the Mad Titan for nowt.  He's a nutjob, convinced of his own rightness: even if his Malthusverse was a reality, how long would it take (for example) post-Snap Earth, pop. 3.8 billion, to get back to pre-Snap 7.7 billion?  Assuming the same growth patterns as before (big assumption, mind), just 50 short years.  And Thanos has destroyed the stones, who's going to reset the clock this time?   The film even sort-of addresses this, when Thanos 2.0 realises his 50% isn't going to work, and he's just going to have to wipe the slate totally clean. 

It's not a rational response to a real problem, any more than Pol Pot's Year Zero was, it's the dream of a self-important madman.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Monarch on 27 April, 2019, 03:56:59 PM
wasn't it established in infinity war that thanos let half the people in the ship go and murdered the other half or am i misremembering it

It wasn't established directly, but we assumed it to be the case, given his M.O: but the ark-ship was destroyed prior to the Snap, when Thanos still only had the Power Stone: hence I'm wondering how far back Tony's fix extended. 

TBH I'm more interested in where all these shiny Asgardian Warriors were when Skurge was holding the Rainbow Bridge virtually solo... 

Oh, and wouldn't it have been nice to see Sif* as well as Valkyrie?  Seeing as romantic tension was off the table this time, I'd have liked to know that at least one of Thor's besties had survived .

*Unless I missed her in a crowd scene.

Tiplodocus

I quite enjoyed that but I didn't get any feels except for the Cap and Peggy scenes and only then ever so slightly.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Andy Lambert

There was something in my eye quite a few times, not just in the obvious places but also during the epic final battle, when everyone showed up and asses were kicked. I was so swept along with it, and - okay, I'm probably a little over-emotional, but I do sometimes get teary just because something's done really well. This was. So. Damn. Good.

Hell, I cried at Terminator 2, so I stood no chance here...