Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 October, 2019, 02:55:13 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 28 October, 2019, 01:30:07 PM
The Freighteners. (1996)

Is that the one about the haunted haulage company?
No. Michael J. Fox can see ghosts and has a couple in his employ to scare up customers so he can charge them for getting rid of the ghosts. Things take a turn when unexplained deaths happen.

GordyM

Wounds. A barman finds a lost phone in his pub filled with photos of murdered people and videos of creepy weird shit. His life very quickly becomes in every sense a waking nightmare.
I really wanted to like this film as it builds well, sets up some intriguing mysteries and has some good scares. But then it just suddenly ends with huge plot threads left dangling. So many set ups with no pay offs.
And so sadly not worth your time.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

von Boom

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: von Boom on 29 October, 2019, 03:09:42 PM
Quote from: von Boom ilink=topic=31824.msg1016303#msg1016303 date=1572355351
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 October, 2019, 02:55:13 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 28 October, 2019, 01:30:07 PM
The Freighteners. (1996)

Is that the one about the haunted haulage company?

Oh grud. I just caught my spelling error. What a prat.
:lol: No problem vB!
@jamesfeistdraws

Mattofthespurs

Re-watching Rear Window for the first time in years.

Jesus, Jimmy Stewart's character is such a dick. And Grace Kelly is so very beautiful.

MacabreMagpie

Doctor Sleep - a VERY GOOD adaptation that suffers from (actually) being a sequel to a bad one, as the Overlook Hotel still standing in this universe proves to be to the movie's detriment. The first two hours are great but then it leans too far into nostalgia, for my tastes when it was doing perfectly well on it's own merits. It does the thing of recreating all the iconic moments and set pieces from the first which I'm sure will please some viewers but produced groans from this one.

[spoiler]Interesting choice to change the ending so that Danny doesn't survive the final battle, whereas in the book he does. I'm torn between whether I like it or not.... on the one hand it sort of fits with the role Danny plays earlier in the film and provides a happy ending of sorts, on the other it's kind of sad that the Overlook eventually claimed him, too.[/spoiler]

Still very much worth a watch as it looks fantastic and the casting is great (bar one character, though that's more to do with who isn't playing them rather than who is).

Mardroid

Ah, so it's a sequel to the film version of The Shining? I did wonder, when I saw those seems in the hotel, and I've read the Doctor Sleep novel.

I guess I can understand their taking that route considering many viewers would know the Kubrick film but wouldn't have read the novel.

I actually rather liked the Shining film, but yes, as an adaptation it's somewhat questionable.

Hawkmumbler

I've never read a King novel I liked, but I adore Kubriks The Shinning.

I'm not very popular in the film community for holding that opinion, Kings fans can get a little....eccentric.

Frank

MacabreMagpie

Oh I didn't mean that 'The Shining' is a bad movie, just that it strays further from the source material than 'Doctor Sleep' does and I think the elements of this story that are the weakest come from it's connections to the movie continuity rather than the book's.

Also something I meant to note, the way they did the title sequence is absolutely brilliant and will stick with me for a long time.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 November, 2019, 12:43:39 PM

I'm not very popular in the film community for holding that opinion, Kings fans can get a little....eccentric.

What have you read and disliked, out of curiosity?

Mattofthespurs

Doctor Sleep

Enjoyed this and it's good that it differs from the book imo.

In fact the book is a sequel to The Shining novel whilst the movie is a sequel to The Shining Movie so we have the best of both worlds.

Dodgy accents aside (wtf happened to Rebecca Ferguson's accent...Now you hear it now you don't) a decent movie. A little indulgent and a little overlong but fun none the less.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 01 November, 2019, 01:33:54 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 November, 2019, 12:43:39 PM

What have you read and disliked, out of curiosity?

My reading of King books is limited, but there are some absolute gems there.  The Body (or Stand By Me, as the movie was called), the Long Walk, Misery and It (apart from the [spoiler]child sex and giant turtle[/spoiler]) were incredibly riveting and well-written, and I much preferred the Shawshank Redemption story to the film.

On the other hand, I read Needful Things a few years ago and didn't like it at all, and listened to the audio book of the first Dark Tower book which bored the bejaysus out of me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mattofthespurs

The first book of The Dark Tower (which was 5 separate stories published in the late 60's, early 70's) are hard going. Once you get to the 2nd book, The Drawing of The Three, it's rockets along and is truly one of the best series of books ever written.

Throw out Your Game of Thrones, this is the real stuff.

Frank

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 28 October, 2019, 09:58:06 AM
Quote from: Apestrife on 26 October, 2019, 06:52:13 PM
Terminator: Dark Fate  By no means up there with T2 but I had a really good time watching it. It plays it quite safe. Nothing mindblowing. Not a movie I'll watch every time after rewatching T1 and T2, but all and all a really solid action film with a suprising amount of humour and heart.

I saw Terminator: Dark Fate too and really, really enjoyed it. Is it as good as T1 or T2? No, but it's closer than I expected, and definitely way closer than any of the other sequels managed to get to that particular breathless chase movie intensity.

There is no profit but what we make:

Terminator: Dark Fate is seeing an awful future at the weekend domestic box office with $27.1M, a terrible result for a tentpole costing $185M (some even say $196M). Breakeven for Dark Fate lies around $470M+ according to finance sources.

Production went over-budget, there were script problems and creative battles between Tim Miller and producer James Cameron during editing, but Dark Fate was crushed by early reviews which spoiled that [spoiler]a key character [/spoiler][spoiler]dies[/spoiler], sending the mythology of the franchise and its fans into tailspin.

Dark Fate wasn't a fresh reboot, more a retread of earlier pics with new characters. T2 raised the bar with its visual effects, but Dark Fate uses the same morphing gimmick. Stateside audiences have thumbed-down Dark Fate, with 3 1/2 stars on PostTrak and a lackluster B+ score.

The studios never took into consideration who their target audience was. The over-25 crowd came out at 72%, but Dark Fate failed to excite the 18-24 set, with a 25% draw - and Dark Fate comes too soon on the heels of Genisys, which stalled stateside with $89.8M.