Main Menu

HBO Watchmen

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 08 May, 2019, 11:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Finally,  someone appreciates your work Proudhuff!

TordelBack

Was  just served up a Polygon article containing the shocking news that the superhero Rorschach whose visage apparently dominates HBO's hit show Watchmen was not in fact intended as a loving homage to Batman.

(Deeper down it's actually a pretty good piece that touches on Moore's attitude to Ditko and Rand,  but you have to get through many paragraphs that assume you think Rorschach is a goodie).

((I've read an alarming amount of Tweets this week that assume Moore's name isn't on the show because be disapproves of how Lindlehof subverts the 'happy ending' of Watchmen by not having Adrian's scheme result in eternal world peace)).

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 October, 2019, 06:22:08 AM

((I've read an alarming amount of Tweets this week that assume Moore's name isn't on the show because be disapproves of how Lindlehof subverts the 'happy ending' of Watchmen by not having Adrian's scheme result in eternal world peace)).

Well, don't sound so surprised. If there was one thing Alan Grant wanted to do with The Watchman, it was to create moral certainties and get rid of grey areas. Why do you think he made Rawshack the hero?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 October, 2019, 01:54:49 PM
Well, don't sound so surprised. If there was one thing Alan Grant wanted to do with The Watchman, it was to create moral certainties and get rid of grey areas. Why do you think he made Rawshack the hero?

This is the sort of close-read criticism that really cuts to the heart of the matter. Bravo!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dudley

Much to my shock and amazement episode one was bloody brilliant.

JayzusB.Christ

I've just watched it too. I didn't want to like it, but I thought it was ok.  Sorry, Alan. Better by far than any Before Watchmen stuff or Doomsday Clock. 
If it continues to be good I'll just have to keep telling myself it isn't the Alan Moore Watchmen universe but another one where the same shit happened as Watchmen.

And Jeremy Irons is [spoiler]Veidt[/spoiler], isn't he?  I don't think [spoiler]Veidt was ever supposed to be English,  but it's always been hard to read his dialogue in any other accent.[/spoiler]

wedgeski

I just watched the first two and was riveted. Superb storytelling.

judgeurko

Just binged on the first 3 episodes. This is great stuff. Far better than I thought it would be.

wedgeski

Wow. The Looking Glass episode was incredible. This series is top shelf.

blackmocco

Yeah, I've had to eat some major crow regarding Lindelof's involvement in this. I mean, six weeks ago, I was still willing to write it off as a dreadful idea and that Lindelof was a hack. Credit where it's due: it's not just so much better than I was expecting, but I think it's probably my favorite show of the year. Great cast, sharp and unexpected writing, a sense of doom lurking beneath everything a la the book, and a great retooling of the original book's themes and elements. Lindelof called it a "remix", incurring my cynical wrath at the time, but he's hit the nail on the head and knocked this thing out of the park. The greatest compliment I can pay it is that it's not difficult for me to envision some of the compositions as Gibbons' art. Great stuff.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

radiator

Wow - I've heard a lot of good stuff, I will have to get around to checking it out at some point.

TordelBack

Resist!  Glycon wills jt so!

Hey, has anyone considered that Lindyhop might be setting you faithless sods up,  luring you in with carefully crafted show only to have a season finale crossover where (say) the  airline from Lost lands in Times Square and the resulting twittergasm finally reunites all fandom in rejection of all future Moore adaptations/spinoffs?

'Cos I'd watch that.

JOE SOAP

I still kneel before The Hairy One's word-processor, but Bootleg Watchmen or not, Episode 6: This Extraordinary Being, is one of the best pieces of telly I've ever seen.

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 November, 2019, 03:20:32 AM
I still kneel before The Hairy One's word-processor, but Bootleg Watchmen or not, Episode 6: This Extraordinary Being, is one of the best pieces of telly I've ever seen.

Indeed. Without Moore's involvement (or endorsement, even), this was always going to be nothing more than fan fiction (the same point made today by one of the show's producers) jumping off from the book but man, it's high quality and beautifully told fan fiction.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com