Main Menu

Prog 2010: Your Move Eathlets

Started by James Stacey, 12 December, 2009, 10:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAMESCOR

Finally got the chance to read mine today, not a duff strip in sight Stickleback by far my favourite. Some interesting developments in Dredd and any Zombo is good Zombo in my opinion. The return of Ampney and Dante are most welcome too. This much content for £4.20 is a real bargain, got me thinking if in future we could have a summer issue too or maybe original 50 or 60 page one offs by top creators I'm sure regular readers and quite a few comic shop browsers would pay a fiver or so for all new material.

mygrimmbrother

What a treat! Dredd ticking along nicely - I agree that the Pink eyes arc is perhaps running on a bit too long, but when it's written by Wagner and drawn by Macneil it just can't fail.

Al's Dredd tale I loved too, yeah it was contrived but that didn't get in the way for me. The retro portion was a great touch too, and I loved how Al adopted the old-fashioned verbiage and Paul Marshall depicted the old school uniforms.

Stickleback was probably my favourite strip too, and I'm really looking forward to a good long run. Ampney Crucis surprised me, in that I wasn't really looking forward to it but I ended up really enjoying it. I sort of had it in my head that I didn't enjoy the first run, but if I think about it, I did. Simon Davis' wacky painted art - which I find hard to appreciate on say SinDex - is perfectly suited to this.

Zombo was fine (great to see him back), The CW futureshock amusing, Dante and Lowlife both a hoot.

All in all, a nice 70+ pages of strip to ward the thrill suckers off until January.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JAMESCOR on 15 December, 2009, 10:05:22 AM
This much content for £4.20 is a real bargain

Indeed. ~7p per strip page in a regular prog, a mere 5.8p in this end-of-year spectacular. Tharg really IS good to us at this time of year!

:-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hoagy

Aw man sublime is the last word I remembered reading just now. And not to speak but halfway through prog 2010 and Bladerunner playing through on my new widescreen tv, edged with french coffee and winter biscuits. This is why the the word sublime sticks some. 2010 out on the shelves already? Life in this moment is truly blessed.( Oo the snakewoman, just throat chopped Dekker. )
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Banners

Quote from: mygrimmbrotherSimon Davis' wacky painted art - which I find hard to appreciate on say SinDex - is perfectly suited to this.

However, I find it odd the Simon is not on SinDex - a strip for which he is surely the definitive artist?

M@

James Stacey

Quote from: Banners on 15 December, 2009, 02:30:19 PM
Quote from: mygrimmbrotherSimon Davis' wacky painted art - which I find hard to appreciate on say SinDex - is perfectly suited to this.

However, I find it odd the Simon is not on SinDex - a strip for which he is surely the definitive artist?

M@
I'm with Grimm on this. I enjoyed his art much more on that than on Sin/Dex, which I've never liked him on.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Banners on 15 December, 2009, 02:30:19 PM

Bold talk for a man with a bullet in his head!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

For me Anthony Willaims is up there with Andy Clarke & Simon for the definitive SinDex artist.  Simon might just edge it, but barely.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Van Dom

I would have said Simon Davis a year or so ago but Anthony Williams has really been making the strip his own this year. The latest 5 part installment had some great art that noticeably stood out as being better than before.
But I do love me some Simon Davis!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Mikey

If you look closely, you'll see SB is actually in Ampney Crucius!

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mikey

I forgot to add my xmas day grub analogy type review...

I'm up and it's the last door on the advent calendar. And look what it reveals –Droid Life! What a tasty morsel too – bitter and sweet all at the same time!

Who needs breakfast? I'm straight into the selection box with Dredd; story moving along nicely, but find the Rico wisecracks a bit out of sorts. A second bite with the Ewing/Marshal effort initially satisfies, but this chocolate bar is slightly too big.

Downstairs for a civilised cuppa and a wee pile of cocktail sausages next! The Green Hand Man, Low Life, Stickleback and Ampney Crucius perch deliciously on my plate before being consumed with glee. Who doesn't like sausages? And I always look forward to more!

But, the golden roast turkeys with all the trimmings are on their way! With pudding! And boy, I could eat like Zombo alright, or the cast of Low Life! The highlight of the day by a clear drumstick. Zombo has supplied possibly the best line of the year, if not decade...

Burp!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

strontium_dog_90

Not read the whole issue yet - trying to pace myself. But . . .that page just before the Dante episode? Goosebump stuff. Serious goosebump stuff.

nomohican

An excellent end to a year of great progs. Not a duff story among them.

Really enjoyed the Al Ewing Dredd - [spoiler]'They're rehearsing a pantomime' had me laughing out loud on the train to work.[/spoiler]

With Zombo [spoiler]Do you suppose that every appearance will feature the gruesome death of some celebrity? We've got Robbie Williams here and Russel Brand in the last series.[/spoiler]

Lowlife continues in fine form, [spoiler]with hints of darker times to come in the future.[/spoiler]

The only problem is that I've finished reading it with three weeks to wait till Prog 1666. Still hopefully my hints to relatives and friends about 2000AD graphic novels will for Christmas will bear fruit...
Well, maybe that fish has a wife and family too. Did anyone think of that?
I mean, I don't think I've got the right to kill someone's daddy, do I? Even if it is a fish.

Zombo

Van Dom

Yay just picked it up from my local newsie! And what a marvellous looking slab of comic it is too!I couldn't resist a quick flick through but I think I'm going to try and make this last a bit rather than ploughing through it. For now all I can say is, great presentation, looks brilliant, and that Johnny Alpha teaser is the business....so....maybe he's not, y'know, RIP, after all?!?!?!?!? Coooooooooooooooool.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Colin Zeal

This might well have been the best issue of the prog since I started reading again just over a year ago. I was worried that Stickleback was a story I was coming to very late, Ampney Crucis I've only read two parts of before and they wouldn't mean much to me. Well I was very wrong. I adore Stickleback after one part, and Ampney made me think of Bix Barton and how much I loved him, but not in a bad way. The aunts in the story made me think of the actresses Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, That woman who was Dolores Umbridge in the Harry Potter movie and someone else I can't think of. Is that a regular occurance throughout the strip?

Zombo has really got me looking forward to the next chapter. I was doubtful as to where the story could go after the first part, but I'm happy now. Lowlife and Dredd were top drawer as well. And then we have Dante. Come my next payday I will be rushing out to buy volumes 7&8 of the trades, and all the progs with Amerkia in as I can't wait for the trade to come out, so I can catch up on this story. I hope this will be before the end of Nikolai in the prog.